• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to the Fantastic Four?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four used to BE Marvel Comics. 

What happened beyond some lackluster movies? Getting into reading some great back issues and got me to thinking what the heck happened. 

Thanks for all your erudite opinions!

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

What happened beyond some lackluster movies? Getting into reading some great back issues and got me to thinking what the heck happened. 

San Francisco sensibilities?

Simple. 

When the MCU took off Marvel put their focus on the properties that they owned the movie rights to (Avengers, Ironman, Cap etc). Spiderman would have probably suffered the same fate, but Joe Q loves spidey, so no way he was getting back burnered. But since there was no one banging the drum for the F4 in the marvel offices, they moved down a rung since marvel didnt own the movie rights, so why put efforts into promoting a property you can only profit off in print? 

31 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Simple. 

When the MCU took off Marvel put their focus on the properties that they owned the movie rights to (Avengers, Ironman, Cap etc). Spiderman would have probably suffered the same fate, but Joe Q loves spidey, so no way he was getting back burnered. But since there was no one banging the drum for the F4 in the marvel offices, they moved down a rung since marvel didnt own the movie rights, so why put efforts into promoting a property you can only profit off in print? 

What a drag

I enjoy reading FF, whether classic, early Silver Age Lee / Kirby, John Byrne's run from the 80s, or the more recent Waid and Hickman runs.

It's often been pointed out online that the team feels like something rooted in the Silver Age, is quite retro and difficult to update.  As a big, lifelong fan, I hope someone eventually manages a filmic reimagining which proves that bias to be completely wrong.  

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I enjoy reading FF, whether classic, early Silver Age Lee / Kirby, John Byrne's run from the 80s, or the more recent Waid and Hickman runs.

It's often been pointed out online that the team feels like something rooted in the Silver Age, is quite retro and difficult to update.  As a big, lifelong fan, I hope someone eventually manages a filmic reimagining which proves that bias to be completely wrong.  

therein is the problem. They don't need to reimagine anything just simply do the great silver age stories from the comics and do a well done translation and it will be successful.

A couple of thoughts of maybe why FF has so lost it's roots.

With most successful comics I've noticed a good blend between the 'soap' parts, and the story/sci-fi parts of.  Peter Parker had his love life and Flash Thompson, DD had his Froggy and Karen, etc.

Imo, with FF they lost sight of the soap part of FF that used to keep the story together and interesting - the core family aspect.  I never minded the substitute muscle for Ben Grimm, like Thundra or Medusa or as things went on She Hulk etc., because the family aspect remained central to story. 

And poorly depicted some characters and villains - e.g. Doom is a good character that's been poorly handled in the movies and blundered with the Reed-Sue-Victor love triangle or overdose of teen angst.

For FF most of the storylines/villains tended to draw more from sci-fi and monster, than the usual comicbook fantasy (galactus eating worlds, annihilus/negative zone, watcher), which might not translate as well to film.

Anyway, the movies s u c k e d pretty bad, and the FF comics in the 90s and last decade that I've skimmed through also were pretty mediocre, as I recall.

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

Imo, with FF they lost sight of the soap part of FF that used to keep the story together and interesting - the core family aspect.  I never minded the substitute muscle for Ben Grimm, like Thundra or Medusa or as things went on She Hulk etc., because the family aspect remained central to story. 

As polarising as Jonathan Hickman's FF run was, I liked the way he emphasised the importance of the family dynamic of the team.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, grebal said:

With most successful comics I've noticed a good blend between the 'soap' parts, and the story/sci-fi parts of.  Peter Parker had his love life and Flash Thompson, DD had his Froggy and Karen, etc.

And poorly depicted some characters and villains - e.g. Doom is a good character that's been poorly handled in the movies and blundered with the Reed-Sue-Victor love triangle or overdose of teen angst.

For FF most of the storylines/villains tended to draw more from sci-fi and monster, than the usual comicbook fantasy (galactus eating worlds, annihilus/negative zone, watcher), which might not translate as well to film.

Anyway, the movies s u c k e d pretty bad, and the FF comics in the 90s and last decade that I've skimmed through also were pretty mediocre, as I recall.

I actually thought that the first FF movie would have been okay if they hadn't butchered Dr. Doom.  They did such a bad job with him that it really destroyed the movie for me.  I thought the rest of the casting and general acting was fine.  Maybe not stellar, but good enough for me to have enjoyed the movie.

I'd love to see a "Doom Rising" movie of the FF annual 2 origin, but that would require them making a good FF movie introducing him first, and I  really don't want to see another FF origin movie.

3 hours ago, grebal said:

+1.  Stick to Silver Age story lines.  Find the right actress to play Crystal.  Integrate the Adam Warlock origin.

That's my 2 cents worth.  I love FF (hence my Board name).

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

The FF haven't been relevant for 30 years.  Where you been all this time?

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

As a big, lifelong fan, I hope someone eventually manages a filmic reimagining which proves that bias to be completely wrong.  

Anytime I see that word, it ends up bad.  No offense.  I would prefer some type of minor tweaking that make a movie work in our era.  The Doom/Richards dynamic (if Doom is in the movie) needs to be explored an is the history of the comic.  Plan out a trilogy where Reed and Doom can be seen back in their school days, then intro him as a villain in the 3rd movie, or something like that.  That kind of hatred/envy does not happen overnight.  2c

Edited by Spidey 62

The FF are not a top tier property today and have not been since the late 60s. I was not around for the dawn of the Marvel SA, but if the FF had launched in the lates 60s/early 70s I doubt the title would have been as popular. It benefited a lot from being the first new wave Marvel hero book. By the end of the 60s Spidey had surpassed it.