• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to the Fantastic Four?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

If they do make a Doctor Doom movie I would want them to explore the intense psychology of a character who has a major superiority complex, and is handsome who gets physically disfigured and then creates the powerful suit.

He still KNOWS he is better than everyone else and now has the power to instill his will on the rest of us because he is smarter than you and I therefore he must know what is best for us.

Doom is sort of a combination of Iron Man and Magneto from the movies. Written well it could make for a great film.

The problem: many people have seen the Iron Man movies and have seen Magneto in the Xmen movies, and because Doom is similar to those characters they will have to change things, and therein lies the failure and why they will give us more of this:

doom yuck.png

Doom is a classic Feudal lord/divine right monarch.  It's why his armor looks and has to look Dark Ages.  Just replace divine right with intellectual right.  The best Doom story is his firm belief in his right to be humanity's benevolent dictator thatr leads him to sacrifice his benevolence to justify the ends.

But they'll never write that.  Just like they never get the most interesting part of the Punisher (IMO), which is that he knows he's wrong but just can't stand by and watch until humanity figures out the right.

17 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

They must be following me on these here boards. 

But seriously. That's a no brainer. 

Also. You'd be surprised how good a surfer/galactus movie would do. 

I'm not as big a fan of galactus as I am of Doom, but his fan base is there

One of the things that bothers me about the movies is that they do not follow original storylines, (or appearances or origins or...) they played out F.F. 57 - 60 and bypassed 48-50, so you are going to introduce the Watcher and Galactus after the fact...???

Again, just an old guy rant, I am not in the demographic they are looking to appeal to.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

introduce the Watcher

Spoiler

The Watchers were introduced in Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, in a short scene.

Edited by Ken Aldred

FF is a timeless property.  Those of us in our 40s know how John Byrne in 1981 took a title that had been sagging in quality, went back to the roots of the title from 20 years earlier and lit it up like a Christmas tree.  Three (or four) very weak cinematic productions from crappy directors and the fact that the property is not with Marvel Studios have condemned FF into damnation for the time being.  The fact that Marvel Publishing is in absolute shambles (getting crushed by DC Publishing) and has serious business conflicts of its own does FF no favors.  And let's not forget that X-Men could also have been in the same boat except that Bryan Singer did put out some decent X-Men films during the start of the Movie Age of Comics (2000 onward), making X-Men relevant to Millenials and younger audiences. 

Fox sees that there is a ton of money to be made if they nail it, and so they are not letting go any time soon.  I like this Dr. Doom solo film idea to litmus test their new approach, whatever it is.  I think if they stay within the look and spirit of the Kirby-Lee formula (as did Byrne), FF will resurrect and be done correctly.  And then Surfer and Galactus will be unleashed.

Edited by zosocane

34 minutes ago, zosocane said:

FF is a timeless property.  Those of us in our 40s know how John Byrne in 1981 took a title that had been sagging in quality, went back to the roots of the title from 20 years earlier and lit it up like a Christmas tree.  Three (or four) very weak cinematic productions from crappy directors and the fact that the property is not with Marvel Studios have condemned FF into damnation for the time being.  The fact that Marvel Publishing is in absolute shambles (getting crushed by DC Publishing) and has serious business conflicts of its own does FF no favors.  And let's not forget that X-Men could also have been in the same boat except that Bryan Singer did put out some decent X-Men films during the start of the Movie Age of Comics (2000 onward), making X-Men relevant to Millenials and younger audiences. 

Fox sees that there is a ton of money to be made if they nail it, and so they are not letting go any time soon.  I like this Dr. Doom solo film idea to litmus test their new approach, whatever it is.  I think if they stay within the look and spirit of the Kirby-Lee formula (as did Byrne), FF will resurrect and be done correctly.  And then Surfer and Galactus will be unleashed.

I am in the same age as you have mentioned, along if I am at the end of range. I did remembered the Byrne FF run and had read them all to his last issue in the 1980s. That was how he got me going back to FF's early run from #1-50. To many of you and that might seems odd to you but I actually like the early Kirby-Lee run! Lots of fun in reading.

Yes, the FF movies were horrible in scripts. The first one was ok but not that good. Fox is going try do another sequel again, I tried watched the last FF film but turned it off 1/4 watched on TV. If Fox gonna do the same crappy job on the new sequel, then I wouldn't bother even to watch it. Waste of my time. 

Sadly but true, I noticed the new FF comics seem to hide among the other new comics quietly and are not selling good. No, I didn't read as I had stopped at #500 since then. 

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

Those of us in our 40s know how John Byrne in 1981 took a title that had been sagging in quality, went back to the roots of the title from 20 years earlier and lit it up like a Christmas tree.  

Extremely consistent, high standard of writing throughout.  Essential FF reading.

14 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I am in the same age as you have mentioned, along if I am at the end of range. I did remembered the Byrne FF run and had read them all to his last issue in the 1980s. That was how he got me going back to FF's early run from #1-50. To many of you and that might seems odd to you but I actually like the early Kirby-Lee run! Lots of fun in reading.

Not odd at all.  You read some great stuff, and then wanted to check out where many of the characters and concepts you'd just read originated, mostly in a fairly short, incredibly creative SA run.