• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened to the Fantastic Four?
1 1

107 posts in this topic

The Fantastic Four have been a victim of their own success. I mean, how do you follow up what Lee/Kirby/Sinnott did with the title. It's just one of those special moments in time (that was so cutting edge) that it can't be replicated, duplicated, translated or updated beyond what it originally was. The Marvel Universe could never be what is/was without it, but this is why it keeps failing now. The nostalgia and respect for it's importance is just too great. It's a masterpiece of its time, thus nothing can compare to that and anything else is just a disappointment and insult. 

19 hours ago, Jaylam said:

The Fantastic Four have been a victim of their own success. I mean, how do you follow up what Lee/Kirby/Sinnott did with the title. It's just one of those special moments in time (that was so cutting edge) that it can't be replicated, duplicated, translated or updated beyond what it originally was. The Marvel Universe could never be what is/was without it, but this is why it keeps failing now. The nostalgia and respect for it's importance is just too great. It's a masterpiece of its time, thus nothing can compare to that and anything else is just a disappointment and insult. 

Byrne did fine with it.  Claremont and Waid did fine with it.  Writing a FF title in 2017 can be done.  Marvel is just too lazy and/or greedy to write it 

On 6/30/2017 at 0:23 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have the solution bring the Fantastic Four back, but kill off Reed and have Victor Von Doom as the new leader!

This will be the new modern spin with their enemy leading them. We will even have Sue fall in love with Doom which will cause conflict with Ben and the Human Torch.

One thing that made the Fantastic Four was they had the number one villian. 

When reading FF I always thought Doctor Doom was much more interesting than Reed Richards.

2477b5e006d6ff59362cc0ada46e8427.jpg

My spider sense was tingling. lol

Doctor Doom Movie in the Works.

http://collider.com/doctor-doom-movie-noah-hawley/

Noah Hawley has been knocking it out of the park lately on television with critically acclaimed seasons of Fargo and the controversial but fascinating Legion. Today at Comic-Con, Hawley was on a panel for the second season of Legion, but he made a surprising announcement at the end. Right as the panel was ending, he said he was developing a movie for Fox that involved two words: “Doctor. Doom.”  THR adds that Hawley is writing the --script with an eye towards directing.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

ugh. FF on the big screen is awful.  They haven't been handled well yet!  To me there were two primary camps in Marvel; Cosmic and non cosmic. I was not in the cosmic camp but read them anyway.  If it were handled more like how Guardians was I think it would have been more successful.  Also, very few people have written doom well in the comic books let alone the big screen.  When done correctly it is awesome. I was partial to JB's run on the book. Doom in secret wars was good too.

On 2017-06-30 at 0:57 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

You are right.

I went back and read some of those Spideys #40 to #100 a few years back. I was surprised at how much of a soap opera they were with Peter with Gwen and Mary Jane.

Spidey #1-#40 are the peak, but the series gets real good again with Gerry Conway #123 to #149.

That run there is better than #41 to #100.

The classic Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle permeated throughout those issues.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

How can one not get excited about that?  Fox has certainly done wonders with the all things FF related so far...  :roflmao:

Fox has done great Planet of Apes movies,plus Logan and Deadpool were two of the best superhero movies ever made and they were done by Fox.

I could see Doom working if they make him a anti-hero.

390eba8e74bfb0f11ad4fb9f4db6c446--secret-wars-mike-dantoni.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

plus Logan and Deadpool were two of the best superhero movies ever made and they were done by Fox.

That is true (taking everyone's word for it on Logan, avoiding it like the plague myself due to personal disdain of modern Marvel).  And since their Wolverine-centric movies went from terrible (featuring a totally botched Deadpool appearance), to subpar, to Logan, maybe they've gotten all the bad out of the FF franchise too?

All they need to do is create a solid -script and stick to the characters.

Doctor Doom as portrayed in the 2 FF movies was HORRIBLE.

The first was bad, his dialogue was bad. I remember the moment in the first film where the members of the FF finally decide to be a group and fight DR Doom as a group on the street in NYC, what did Dr. Doom say to them before the fight?

"This is going to be fun."

That just isn't Dr. Doom at all, and in a single sentence is a strong indicator of what has plagued the FF movies: the film makers are totally clueless on what to do with these characters, and have no idea how to use the stories that already exist.

The second time Dr. Doom appeared in an FF movie. Wow was that bad. Somehow WORSE than the first film.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Doctor Doom as portrayed in the 2 FF movies was HORRIBLE.

Don't forget the third film...

doomfantasticfour-146710.png

Captured his look perfectly there.  Absolutely spot on.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

If it were handled more like how Guardians was I think it would have been more successful.  Also, very few people have written doom well in the comic books let alone the big screen.  When done correctly it is awesome. I was partial to JB's run on the book. Doom in secret wars was good too.  Doom in secret wars was good too.

He was the best part of Secret Wars.  And I'm pretty sure Marvel made Guardians of the Galaxy as a replacement for the FF since they don't have the rights.  And did a fair job of killing the one avenue the FF work for any future movie.

Edited by SteppinRazor

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Don't forget the third film...

doomfantasticfour-146710.png

Captured his look perfectly there.  Absolutely spot on.

what the hell was that? So bad...

:frustrated:

I just don't understand how that got made. How did the executive producer look at that and think "YES! We nailed it!"

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, Artboy99 said:

strongly disagree.

Some of the best silver age reading comes from the FF:

25-26

48-50 is extremely good for story.

YES!!!

F.F. 25 and 26 are the books that got me hooked on Marvel Comics back in 64 and of course...The Trilogy, "Nuff Said"

On 6/26/2017 at 9:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

Not a chance.  Early issues were crud, poorly written and Kirby's art was brutal.  Honestly, I'm surprised FF caught on and the rest of the Marvel Universe got a chance.

When you are a 8/9 year old boy in 1964 Artwork and Storytelling were not the things you looked for as much as the "cool" covers that captured your imagination, the cover of issue 25 drew me in and got me hooked and then I just wanted cool covers.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:12 PM, kimik said:

That is by far the best of the FF. It gets hokey around issue 8 or so. ASM was much better.

See the above...

Not Hokey when you are 8/9 in 1964.

On 6/30/2017 at 0:23 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have the solution bring the Fantastic Four back, but kill off Reed and have Victor Von Doom as the new leader!

This will be the new modern spin with their enemy leading them. We will even have Sue fall in love with Doom which will cause conflict with Ben and the Human Torch.

When reading FF I always thought Doctor Doom was much more interesting than Reed Richards.

See issues 111 - 116, one of the best stories ever IMO.

Edited by marvelmaniac

Having said all of the above and should have started with this...

I just got around to reading this thread and although I have no idea what could be or should be done to revitalize the F.F. in today's society I felt I needed to defend the F.F in the early 60's.

It is those memories that have got me back into collecting in "79" and the reason I am still interested in "my comics" today, basically I do not care for or watch the movies since they are all modernized and do not hold true to the original storylines.

Marvel became popular in 61/62 and througout the 60's because it made their characters 3 dimensional with personalities and real world problems outside of fighting crime, aliens and monsters that other publishers did not and because of this teenagers of the day could relate, hence the popularity of Peter Parker and Johnny Storm.

So just as I do not care for the modern stuff, you youngsters that were not there in the 60's should not be bashing my memories or the memories of others that were there with  "it's hokey","how did the book even survive" "the artwork and stories were terrible" or "if it were DC", etc.

Having said that...

Get off of my lawn...Punk.  :preach:

If they do make a Doctor Doom movie I would want them to explore the intense psychology of a character who has a major superiority complex, and is handsome who gets physically disfigured and then creates the powerful suit.

He still KNOWS he is better than everyone else and now has the power to instill his will on the rest of us because he is smarter than you and I therefore he must know what is best for us.

Doom is sort of a combination of Iron Man and Magneto from the movies. Written well it could make for a great film.

The problem: many people have seen the Iron Man movies and have seen Magneto in the Xmen movies, and because Doom is similar to those characters they will have to change things, and therein lies the failure and why they will give us more of this:

doom yuck.png

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:
On 6/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

Not a chance.  Early issues were crud, poorly written and Kirby's art was brutal.  Honestly, I'm surprised FF caught on and the rest of the Marvel Universe got a chance.

When you are a 8/9 year old boy in 1964 Artwork and Storytelling were not the things you looked for as much as the "cool" covers that captured your imagination, the cover of issue 25 draw me in and got me hooked and then I just wanted cool covers.

And I can agree with you.  FF 50 hooked me and I loved all the early issues.  I look at it now and wonder what the hell I saw in it.   Kirby's interior art was bad on those early issues.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 6/30/2017 at 7:28 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I'm a 70s kid but I never liked FF. Not then not now. I liked some of the stories. Dr Doom is by far THE rising star of the title. Probably as ultimate a villain as Darth Vader is in my mind. 

Good article here about Doctor Doom.

Why It's the Right Time for a Doctor Doom Movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-doom-movie-why-is-perfect-time-film-teased-at-comic-con-1023207

The Fantastic Four's arch villain is getting his own movie — which might be where he belongs.

Doom is ready for his close-up.

In a surprise announcement at San Diego Comic-Con Thursday, Legion showrunner Noah Hawley revealed that he is developing a movie based on Doctor Doom, the arch-nemesis of Marvel's Fantastic Four, for 20th Century Fox. It would be the third time the character has appeared on the big screen — he was the antagonist in both of Fox's attempts to turn Fantastic Four into a movie property — but the first time in which he would be taking center stage… which, as most comic book fans would admit, is where he's belonged all along. The film would be part of Fox's strategy to rehab the Fantastic Four — and given Doom's popularity, it just might work.

In other words they are going to use Doom to create interest in the FF again. 

They strategy is working because people who had zero interest in seeing a FF movie again are talking about the FF because of this upcoming Doctor Doom movie.

I am hoping this Doctor Doom movie is a launch point for the Silver Surfer movie. :wishluck:

4229683-drdoomsufer.jpg

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

In other words they are going to use Doom to create interest in the FF again. 

They strategy is working because people who had zero interest in seeing a FF movie again are talking about the FF because of this upcoming Doctor Doom movie.

I am hoping this Doctor Doom movie is a launch point for the Silver Surfer movie. :wishluck:

4229683-drdoomsufer.jpg

They must be following me on these here boards. 

But seriously. That's a no brainer. 

Also. You'd be surprised how good a surfer/galactus movie would do. 

I'm not as big a fan of galactus as I am of Doom, but his fan base is there

On June 30, 2017 at 0:23 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

This had been done before,
Fantastic Four (1998 3rd Series) #25-31

871533.jpg