• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5-10 Female Superheroines
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I think we have done this before but couldn't find the thread if so.  I assume Wonder Woman will top almost list but I am curious to see what others think would be in their top 5-10 from the GA.  It can be personal preference but I was thinking of appeal at the time and how that appeal translates today.  Given WW's media success, who knows maybe this will be a who's going to be the next new franchise for the media to give the screen to.  

Also I am thinking only of characters created in the GA and not characters like Roy Thomas may have developed in All-Star Squadron, for example.

Mary Marvel, Namorita, Bulletgirl, Black Canary, Miss Masque, Phantom Lady, Lady Luck, Hawkgirl, etc.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing Kitten all grown up on the big screen.  Compared to men, the list I feel is pretty finite so please include the Jungle, Sci-fi, Western and other genres if you like.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, telerites said:

I think we have done this before but couldn't find the thread if so.  I assume Wonder Woman will top almost list but I am curious to see what others think would be in their top 5-10 from the GA.  It can be personal preference but I was thinking of appeal at the time and how that appeal translates today.  Given WW's media success, who knows maybe this will be a who's going to be the next new franchise for the media to give the screen to.  

Also I am thinking only of characters created in the GA and not characters like Roy Thomas may have developed in All-Star Squadron, for example.

Mary Marvel, Namorita, Bulletgirl, Black Canary, Miss Masque, Phantom Lady, Lady Luck, Hawkgirl, etc.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing Kitten all grown up on the big screen.  Compared to men, the list I feel is pretty finite so please include the Jungle, Sci-fi, Western and other genres if you like.

Thanks

11) Wonder Woman

2) Phantom Lady

3) Blonde Phantom

4) Namora

5) Black Canary

Miss Fury and Moon Girl would be 6th and 7th.

Edited by N e r V

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

11) Wonder Woman

2) Phantom Lady

3) Blonde Phantom

4) Namora

5) Black Canary

Miss Fury would be a close 5th.

I just realized i typed Namorita and Namora when i saw your list. Thx for sharing 

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Nelvana totally rocks!

I'd rate Venus way above Namora!

Hawkgirl seems under appreciated given her significance to the early GA.  x2 for Mary Marvel!

No, but I'm surprised I forgot Venus. lol

She would be my number 6.

I am kind of surprised not much love for Mary Marvel.  She had her own book and had a long run compared to most GA characters - similar to her other Marvel Family counterparts.   In addition to her own title, she took over Wow Comics and had the Marvel Family Comics tenure too. 

Back then, do you think she would have been #2 on the list as far as popularity?

8 hours ago, piper said:

Sheena :taptaptap:

"My problem with Wonder Woman was that I could never get myself to believe she was that good. For if she was as strong as they said, why wasn’t she tougher looking? Why wasn’t she bigger? And why did I always feel that, whatever her vaunted Amazon power, she wouldn’t have lasted a round with Sheena, Queen of the Jungle?

"No, Wonder Woman seemed like too much of a put-up job, a fixed comic strip—a product of group thinking rather than the individual inspiration that created Superman. It was obvious from the start that a bunch of men got together in a smoke-filled room and brain-stormed themselves a Super Lady....I see now that my objection is just the opposite of Wertham's: Wonder Woman wasn't dykey enough."

—Jules Feiffer, The Great Comic Book Heroes

3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

"My problem with Wonder Woman was that I could never get myself to believe she was that good. For if she was as strong as they said, why wasn’t she tougher looking? Why wasn’t she bigger? And why did I always feel that, whatever her vaunted Amazon power, she wouldn’t have lasted a round with Sheena, Queen of the Jungle?

"No, Wonder Woman seemed like too much of a put-up job, a fixed comic strip—a product of group thinking rather than the individual inspiration that created Superman. It was obvious from the start that a bunch of men got together in a smoke-filled room and brain-stormed themselves a Super Lady....I see now that my objection is just the opposite of Wertham's: Wonder Woman wasn't dykey enough."

—Jules Feiffer, The Great Comic Book Heroes

Cool excerpt. Is the book worth a read?

1 hour ago, piper said:

Cool excerpt. Is the book worth a read?

Definitely! It came out in the early 60's I think. The origins stories/key stories for the great GA superheroes are reprinted (Supes, Bat, Plaz, The Flash, Captain America, The Spirit, Wonder Woman, Hawkman...) Feiffer has commentary about each character and how they were developed. Great read- similar to the Origins Of Marvel Comics books that Stan Lee wrote in the 70's. I read this a million times when I was a kid in the 70's and still look at it today. 

59524f8c9e3e5_ScreenShot2017-06-27at7_16_11AM.png.9ff1bdaa097d67d4760a38a7a1f2e7e3.png

46 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Thanks