• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BruceParker Nomination

5 posts in this topic

Nominating BruceParker for the probation list. Seller reneged on a deal after a sale agreement here on the boards.

Here is a timeline of events, if screenshots of the PayPal invoice and PMs are necessary I will post them.

June 14: I make an offer for a slabbed book via PM.

June 15: Seller and I agree on a price, an invoice is sent to my PayPal account.

June 16-17: PayPal invoice is closed by seller, I contact seller to find out what happened, no response from seller. The invoice was unpaid for about 48 hours, I didn't think a take per PM was necessary at that point, as my PayPal address was billed immediately. The book was never marked as sold in the thread.

June 17: Book is claimed with other books by another boardie in the thread. Still no response from seller.

The thread was edited on June 17 at 8:29AM as sold by the seller. I received an email canceling the invoice at 11:11AM on the same day.

June 19: Book is marked as sold in sales thread.

June 22: After one more PM to the seller I notice that he's started a new sales thread, and has been active on the boards. Also notice that the book was claimed by another boardie on June 17 after I PMed about the deleted invoice.

This is the response given by the seller after I asked what happened. (Note that there was no communication between the seller and I during the 48 hour period of me receiving the PayPal invoice and the cancellation.)

Quote: Sorry, I waited 48 hours for payment and hadn't heard from you. Nor did you claim the book in the thread, so I wasn't sure if you were interested and someone else made an offer for the same book. I waited longer for the payment, but moved on since time had passed.

No timeline for payment was set between the seller and I. I'm typically prompt with my payments, hit a slight delay this time, and then it was sold to another board member.

Really you nominated me for probation because of this? I accepted your offer under the assumption you would pay for the book or at least advise me when payment would be sent. You never claimed that book, nor did you send any kind of response to my message regarding the invoice.

My OP does state that if you want a book to simply state that, since what kind of proof of an agreement do I have that payment will be sent. I waited more than 48 hours, and then another buyer made another offer on the same book. More time passed, and still I heard nothing from the buyer. In my experience I make payment on my purchase immediately, and if I can't pay within at least a day I advise the seller of this, or at least make it known that I want the book. 

If you had done anything in those 48+ hours I would have pulled the book. But nothing was said and I didn't know if you wanted the book or not. I didn't sell the book for more, and  the next buyer claimed said book before payment was made, which he did. 

An agreement may have been made, but the responsibility can't just be on the sellers behalf. You just didn't appear that you wanted the book until well after another buyer had paid. I would have loved to of sold you the book! You just never told me how long it would take. 

We're also not talking a 2k book here where time needs to be taken to get finances in order, or other arrangements need to be made. I'm sorry, I should have asked you if you still wanted the book, but this is a simple miscommunication at worst. 

Edited by BruceParker

You both made mistakes.  End it there.

Amazing Comics - you should have posted an I'll Take It in the thread to provide notice to everyone that it was spoken for.  You also should have paid for the book upon receipt of the PayPal invoice.

Bruce Parker - you acknowledge a proper deal when you sent Amazing the PayPal invoice.  As such, you should have marked the book sold in your thread.  Upon not receiving payment within 48 hours after sending the invoice you should have contacted the buyer to inquire what was going on.  Also, unless you had rules stated in your thread that payment must be made within 48 hours you should not have sold the book to someone else.

Both of you err'ed.  Chalk it up as a learning experience and move forward.

Yes I agree with that, I made a mistake on my end; that much I will say. I should have contacted him about it before the book sold again. It's just we all know how sales are often like where you reach an agreement with a prospective buyer only for them to disappear or pull away from the sale. I was just leery of that. I'm sorry it ended up like this. I just didn't think it warranted any kind of probation. 

59 minutes ago, Red84 said:

You both made mistakes.  End it there.

Amazing Comics - you should have posted an I'll Take It in the thread to provide notice to everyone that it was spoken for.  You also should have paid for the book upon receipt of the PayPal invoice.

Bruce Parker - you acknowledge a proper deal when you sent Amazing the PayPal invoice.  As such, you should have marked the book sold in your thread.  Upon not receiving payment within 48 hours after sending the invoice you should have contacted the buyer to inquire what was going on.  Also, unless you had rules stated in your thread that payment must be made within 48 hours you should not have sold the book to someone else.

Both of you err'ed.  Chalk it up as a learning experience and move forward.

This is a very sharp summary, and in the main I agree.

I would only add to this that insofar as Amazing Comics made any errors on his end they were errors of assumption based on Boards customs and conventions. Having received an invoice but not a specific request from the seller he may have felt it unnecessary to post in the thread, and having received an invoice he would have rightly assumed that any payment due date would have already been stated in the terms of sale.

Granted it is always good to pay promptly, all of us assume a certain latitude unless directed otherwise at the start, and certainly more than 48hrs unless clearly stated otherwise in the terms of sale.

IMO Bruce Parker made errors but good faith errors based on his lack of knowledge of Boards customs, which is something he can fix going forward. 2c