• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Future of Grading (9.1,9.3 etc.)
1 1

52 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone. Coming out of the Arkham Comics hates CGC thread I had a few thoughts from watching his videos. He predicts that CGC is running out of leeway in conventional grading numbers and in order to maximize profit CGC will eventually go to a 0.1 increment scale ie. 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 etc. Normally, I wouldn't put stock into it but he was right about the introduction of specialized labeling for a fee (The Walking Dead labels as an example). Thoughts on this or any of your own predictions?

24 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Why dont you ask them yourself, there is a thread for that.:baiting:

I'm more interested in the opinions and thoughts of the collecting community about this topic. Hence the post to the Discussion forum rather than a Q&A.

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

I heard there are only 3 on the census!!

you heard right

4 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Okay! I thinks it's obsurd. Next question.....

Absurd to think the grading increments could change or it would be absurd if they actually did? If I were to ask another question it would be if collectors who invested a lot of money into the current grades of their collections would be happy with such a change if it did happen? Would you resubmit in hopes of getting that higher grade ie. a current 9.2 book that is definitely not a 9.4 but could be the hypothetical 9.3? 

10 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

Absurd to think the grading increments could change or it would be absurd if they actually did? If I were to ask another question it would be if collectors who invested a lot of money into the current grades of their collections would be happy with such a change if it did happen? Would you resubmit in hopes of getting that higher grade ie. a current 9.2 book that is definitely not a 9.4 but could be the hypothetical 9.3? 

I wouldn't send it in.. what if it came back a 9.1?

15 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

Hi, Everyone. Coming out of the Arkham Comics hates CGC thread I had a few thoughts from watching his videos. He predicts that CGC is running out of leeway in conventional grading numbers and in order to maximize profit CGC will eventually go to a 0.1 increment scale ie. 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 etc. Normally, I wouldn't put stock into it but he was right about the introduction of specialized labeling for a fee (The Walking Dead labels as an example). Thoughts on this or any of your own predictions?

He didn't predict anything new.

Other certification companies have been evolving for years and comics simply piggy back on what other industries like coins have done.

The evolution of grading has been happening since the 1st grading standard was instated as Good - Fine - Mint (or a 1 - 3 - 5 pricing system) 50 years ago. Since then, they have ever been splitting grades into finer and finer increments.

Why?

Because when a book cost $1 or $5 it wasn't a big deal. But as prices escalate for collectibles you need finer and finer grade differences to account for the spread in price. It's just simple, logical business.

If you have a $50K book and the next grade up is going to cost you $100K for the book it's only natural people to want something in between, and that is how we went from the G / F / M scale to the 25 or 30 step grading scale we have today.

Adding another 5 or 10 steps is just another step in the evolution of the process. And like I said, coins have already been doing it for years.

When I was a kid, it seemed like the grades were only Good/Fine/Mint.
Then, after I stopped buying comics, I came across this book that explained the 1-100 grading scale. I thought, "What..."

Then, some time later, the 1-100 grading scale was replaced with a 1-10 scale. Again, I thought, "What..."

Then I noticed these comics encased in plastic with a numerical grade in the corner. Once again, I thought, "What..."

My point, changes are nothing new and will probably always be.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

He didn't predict anything new.

Other certification companies have been evolving for years and comics simply piggy back on what other industries like coins have done.

The evolution of grading has been happening since the 1st grading standard was instated as Good - Fine - Mint (or a 1 - 3 - 5 pricing system) 50 years ago. Since then, they have ever been splitting grades into finer and finer increments.

Why?

Because when a book cost $1 or $5 it wasn't a big deal. But as prices escalate for collectibles you need finer and finer grade differences to account for the spread in price. It's just simple, logical business.

If you have a $50K book and the next grade up is going to cost you $100K for the book it's only natural people to want something in between, and that is how we went from the G / F / M scale to the 25 or 30 step grading scale we have today.

Adding another 5 or 10 steps is just another step in the evolution of the process. And like I said, coins have already been doing it for years.

I could see it happening at some point; it would certainly throw fire on the whole crack press resubmit game.    Its good for cgc as long as it doesn't tick off customers.   

Not a fan of the idea, personally.  

Edited by Bronty

Not much of a fan either. This may sound silly, but, aesthetically, 9.7, 9.3, on a label would be rather silly. Even numbers or increments of 5 are just easier for our brains to digest and this stuff is still very much about "eye appeal". Also, at some you're just dividing things up into too fine of an increment that the difference would be fairly negligible. 

This is always an option, though....

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg