• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Future of Grading (9.1,9.3 etc.)
1 1

52 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I think this post just confused the heck outta me. I tried to follow it I really did but come on really? Do you actually ever read any of your comics? I guess not because they are probably all encased and you are too busy discecting them to actually enjoy any. Hey if it floats your boat...

I currently own a grand total of 27 graded comics and about 3500 ungraded comics.

I enjoy reading comics, I greatly appreciate the art - and I also like crunching numbers and playing with spreadsheets. If that confuses you, then I can't help  you, but why do you have to be a presumptuous d0rk  about it???

Does that answer your question?

Edited by jcjames

Just now, VintageComics said:

I understand where you're coming from.

But some people making a lifestyle out of chasing nice things.

Different strokes and all that.

I'm with ya. I'm not critizing or judging any one. I guess I'm at the age now where I don't feel the need to impress anybody anymore. I'd rather spend that money on travel, experiences and my kids/grandkids than comic books. Not to mention, the wind in my face on a vintage motorcycle so far trumps finding nicks on a comic book spine...

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I currently own a grand total of 27 graded comics and about 3500 ungraded comics.

I enjoy reading comics, I greatly appreciate the art - and I also like crunching numbers and playing with spreadsheets. If that confuses you, then I can't help  you, but why do you have to be a presumptuous d0rk  about it???

Does that answer your question?

Sounds like you maybe need to get out more...

Individual graded pages .... i don't get that and i wouldn't want one of those,

but a coverless CGC graded key otherwise unaffordable ,.. yeah i could see getting one of those someday to fill a hole and it would be nice to put it in the registry for registry set collectors......

I'm really enjoying the constructive discussions going on. It's nice to hear from others where they think the grading standard is going. I feel it's important for the collector/dealer voice to be heard, as the last time that the standards were changed/tightened/reinterpreted  they seemed to be made with very little input from the  majority of the collecting/dealer community. As it has been 15 years since those changes I feel that we are due for some new ones soon. My hope would be that these discussions would help to give voice to any concerns we may have. But as always if you like the look of a book and it is a price you're comfortable with paying then the numbers don't matter so much. Cheers.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, I get it Roy. To me they are "comic books" and myself, personally, I don't need the best copy available. Chasing the grade is a very fleeting endevor that rarely turns out well. Besides, I have better things to spend all that extra money on...

Amen.   :applause:

On 6/27/2017 at 8:23 PM, Michelangelo said:

it's already splitting hairs when you get into super high grade. How many more ways can a hair be split?

Even OSPG only goes up to 9.2/nm-

Or perhaps the splitting is unnecessary in the first place.  If you argue it is, then it is the same argument for continuing to split.