• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Cosmic Odyssey love?

14 posts in this topic

I re-read the first issue of Cosmic Odyssey last night. Considering the heat on Starlin's Infinity Gauntlet, and that Mignola is a recognizable name artist, I am a little surprised that this book doesn't get a little more attention. Anyone think this could be a serious Copper Age sleeper? I could see the potential of this being the basis for a DC movie down the line.

I love Cosmic Odyssey, and pick them up whenever I find them for 25 or 50 cents. Not sure if they'll ever be worth anything, but I have a stack of #1's that are crossing their fingers! If not, there are worse things to own than several dozen gorgeous Mignola prestige format books.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I love Cosmic Odyssey, and pick them up whenever I find them for 25 or 50 cents. Not sure if they'll ever be worth anything, but I have a stack of #1's that are crossing their fingers! If not, there are worse things to own than several dozen gorgeous Mignola prestige format books.

In the late 80s I always looked forward to his new books.  One of my favourites from that time, and a style which still holds up extremely well.

Okay...this IS the only time I've bought color seps/mechanicals or whatever these are called. Cover to #2; so pretty without the logo and letters :cloud9:

I still think the story would have improved with J'onn J'onzz going last angry Martian on JohnStewart's hapless, arrogant . But the art is nice.

image.jpeg

If that's what I think it is, we used to call those "color keys" in the newspaper biz. Each of the four color plates was printed separately on it's own sheet of acetate. When lined-up properly (registered), it would show what the final printed piece would look like. In our case, we occasionally produced them to show an advertiser what their would like when printed.

On July 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Dave2739 said:

If that's what I think it is, we used to call those "color keys" in the newspaper biz. Each of the four color plates was printed separately on it's own sheet of acetate. When lined-up properly (registered), it would show what the final printed piece would look like. In our case, we occasionally produced them to show an advertiser what their would like when printed.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Not sure if they a re used anymore? Does digital bypass this step in printing comics today?

14 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Yes, that's exactly what it is. Not sure if they a re used anymore? Does digital bypass this step in printing comics today?

I can't speak for the comics industry, but they became obsolete for us at the newspaper once we had high quality color laser printers. Additionally, once we stopped outputting negatives and started outputting direct to the printing plates, we no longer had the equipment to produce the color keys. The color keys were more accurate and better quality, but they were also more expensive and much more time-consuming to produce.

Edited by Dave2739
Correcting a typo.

22 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I doubt color keys are used for comics. It's probably all proofed digitally, since color is not super-critical and digital proofing is a lot cheaper.

On 7/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, Dave2739 said:

I can't speak for the comics industry, but they became obsolete for us at the newspaper once we had high quality color laser printers. Additionally, once we stopped outputting negatives and started outputting direct to the printing plates, we no longer had the equipment to produce the color keys. The color keys were more accurate and better quality, but they were also more expensive and much more time-consuming to produce.

I worked in printing for a while in the late-'90s/early 2000s (interestingly, for a company that also did computer coloring for comics; Crusade, Event, and Acclaim were some of our biggest clients). Physical matchprints were the standard for color proofing when I started, but by the time I moved on from that job, we did digital proofing for almost everything. Much cheaper and almost as accurate. For comics, digital proofing works fine.

On 7/5/2017 at 12:43 PM, F For Fake said:

I need to find these 25 and 50 cent comic sellers. Last shop i went to that had a 25 cent box went busto. I guess my 3 for $2 guy is close to that.

22 hours ago, the blob said:

I need to find these 25 and 50 cent comic sellers. Last shop i went to that had a 25 cent box went busto. I guess my 3 for $2 guy is close to that.

I do pretty well with my LCS. Every other month or so they'll put on a big $1 or 50 cent sale in their "event room" (i.e. the storage room.) Sometimes it's just comics, sometimes it's records, dvds, cd's, etc since they also carry music. I guess they usually do this once they've accumulated a lot of drek. They also have been known to bring up collections for their other locations for these sales. I've done really well there over the years.