• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dried up slabs
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Anyone else having trouble finding slabs to fill your collections?

There was a time when some auction would have something for me to pick up that I needed to complete a run I was working on. Now the auction listings appear to be fewer and prices appear to be higher than normal. Is this economy related?

1 hour ago, romanheart said:

Anyone else having trouble finding slabs to fill your collections?

There was a time when some auction would have something for me to pick up that I needed to complete a run I was working on. Now the auction listings appear to be fewer and prices appear to be higher than normal. Is this economy related?

Other then keys I find filler slabs have dropped across the board.  Lots and lots of down arrows from 2015 on GPA for most of the non hot, key books I look up.  Now if you are questioning why people are not putting slabs up for auction anymore then please reference what I said in the 1st sentence.  Very few $0.99 auctions anymore and definitely not a lot of filler slabs going up unprotected.

49 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Any specific titles? Now that slabbing costs more, people will be more selective on what they submit. Also,  collectors may be keeping more books for themselves.

I collect DD, and I've never had trouble finding something I needed until this last year.

Mycomicshop, and Heritage have fewer auction listings than normal, and the extremely high grade and key copies command a large premium when they're offered.

I see your points. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing the same thing and whether or not this trend was temporary.

Could it also be that, early on, you scooped up the easy-to-find issues with many graded copies out there, and now what remains are the hard-to-find or frequently-ungraded issues?

I see a lot of this with my onw registry sets... You can find Adam Hughes Catwoman or Wonder Woman issues no problem, but once you've got those, try finding titles like X-Men Classic or MAZE Agency.

2 hours ago, Brock said:

Could it also be that, early on, you scooped up the easy-to-find issues with many graded copies out there, and now what remains are the hard-to-find or frequently-ungraded issues?

I see a lot of this with my onw registry sets... You can find Adam Hughes Catwoman or Wonder Woman issues no problem, but once you've got those, try finding titles like X-Men Classic or MAZE Agency.

That's a good point.  If romanheart was seeing all the books he needed but only buying a few at a time, then the books he needs have "dried up".  But, if he has been buying consistently and the books he needs haven't been coming up all this time, then nothing has actually changed.