• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED

33 posts in this topic

Hi 

I'm trying to ID this Red Sonja page, where there is no mention of issue and page number.

There are notes from Roy Thomas, and Dezuniga seems to be the artist here. Roy Thomas notes also mention a "Joe" , telling him that the first page is being pencilled and will follow, so the letterer could be named Joe or John.

I was thinking Red Sonja vol.2 Issue 1 but I cannot find  the plot of the story to see if it matches, and on the cover she isn't wearing the silver bikini anymore.

So I don't know if this page has been published or remained unpublished.

Red Sonja page.jpg

Edited by Comic Art Factory

2 hours ago, Comic Art Factory said:

Hi 

I'm trying to ID this Red Sonja page, where there is no mention of issue and page number.

There are notes from Roy Thomas, and Dezuniga seems to be the artist here. Roy Thomas notes also mention a "Joe" , telling him that the first page is being pencilled and will follow, so the letterer could be named Joe or John.

I was thinking Red Sonja vol.2 Issue 1 but I cannot find  the plot of the story to see if it matches, and on the cover she isn't wearing the silver bikini anymore.

There are only two possibilities:

1.  Red Sonja v. 1 #15 (J. Buscema pencils, T. Dezuniga inks)

2.  One of the Red Sonja stories featured in SSOC (e.g., #45, which was J. Buscema pencils, T. Dezuniga inks; remember that Dezuniga's inks often overpowered the penciller). 

It is 100% not from Red Sonja v. 2 #1.

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

There are only two possibilities:

1.  Red Sonja v. 1 #15 (J. Buscema pencils, T. Dezuniga inks)

2.  One of the Red Sonja stories featured in SSOC (e.g., #45, which was J. Buscema pencils, T. Dezuniga inks; remember that Dezuniga's inks often overpowered the penciller).

It is 100% not from Red Sonja v. 2 #1 or anything published after that issue came out.

You can scratch Red Sonja V.1 # 15.
I check it...

Just now, MagnusX said:

You can scratch Red Sonja V.1 # 15.
I check it...

I figured it was far more likely a SSOC story, but, unfortunately I moved all my comics into storage recently to free up space and couldn't check the issue myself. :cry: 

SSOC #192, 194, 195 all feature Red Sonja stories with all-DeZuniga art.  

I deleted a post earlier that said that I thought it must be earlier than James' assertion that it was mid-to-late 1980s, because I didn't recall them going back to the chainmail bikini at all during this period.  But, the other possibility is that it was from after that period, as I wasn't paying much attention to Red Sonja in the '90s.  SSOC 192-195 are all from 1991-92. hm 

Edited by delekkerste

6 minutes ago, Comic Art Factory said:

SSOC 192, 194 and 195 were inked by Ernie Chan, so the only possibility remaining is SSOC 190 but the pages I saw online don't match the style here at all.

So It could be unpublished.

Is not SSOC 190.
Red Sonja don't even show in this issue...

I check it...

19 minutes ago, Comic Art Factory said:

SSOC 192, 194 and 195 were inked by Ernie Chan, so the only possibility remaining is SSOC 190 but the pages I saw online don't match the style here at all.

So It could be unpublished.

No.  The main Conan story in SSOC is Buscema/Chan.  There is a back-up Sonja story in 192 and 194 that is all-DeZuniga and a DeZuniga/Simons combo story in 195. 

Also note that one would need to check the actual magazine issues, as the Dark Horse TPB reprints do not include these back-up stories.

Edited by delekkerste

9 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Is not SSOC 190.
Red Sonja don't even show in this issue...

I check it...

Yeah, that list is incorrect.  The story they claim appears in SSOC 190 actually appears in SSOC 192. 

2 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Check one of the 3 issues of KULL AND THE BARBARIANS magazine. The blue line stock indicates it's for a B&W Magazine, but this looks mid 80s to me.

So, they ditched the chainmail circa 1983 and, if she's still in her non-chainmail outfit in the early '90s (as per Magnus), I think this suggests that the page is pre-1983.  

Chaykin drew the Sonja stories in Kull and the Barbarians.