• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Collectable SA Marvel Title (1961-1966)
1 1

Most Collectable Marvel SA Title  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which early SA Marvel Title would you complete?

• ASM
    • Avengers
    • Daredevil
    • Fantastic Four
    • JIM (Thor)
    • Strange Tales (Human Torch/Doctor Strange/Nick Fury)
    • TOS (Iron Man)
    • X-Men
    • Other
    • I only collect DC and would rather smoke crack than read that drek!

16 posts in this topic

With all the talk of runs vs keys, I've been thinking about what the most collectable SA Marvel run of say the first 20 or 30 issues would be.

In some ways, it's a hybrid form of collecting as it's not solely focused on keys but also takes up less room than being a completist?

For example, I love my early ASMs for the soap opera stories and Ditko art but they cost a lot in mid grade and there are lots of keys.  On the other hand, JIM has great Kirby covers and prices are shockingly affordable.

If you were starting out as a collector today, which main title from the early 60's would you put together? Where would you start and stop your run? What grade would you target?

For me, there can only be One.

But if I were starting today, I couldn't afford what I have, so I might not ever get the earliest issues.

Fantastic Four from 25-94, plus annuals 1-6.

Edited by KirbyJack
I forgot the entire point of the post.

I completed five of those from 1961-'66 when collecting Silver: Spidey, the FF, Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, and JIM/Thor.  All were a blast to put together and own.  They were all generally high grade runs, except for some of the keys and earliest issues I settled for mid-grade copies.

Edited by namisgr

I voted for the one I actually bothered to put together, the Avengers. I still have the whole original run, 1-402.

Doing one today, I would pick the one that balances my preferences as a fan and my budget. 

If I were going to do another, it would probably be FF. Assembling ASM without acquiring an AF15 wouldn't feel complete to me

28 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

ASM or FF.  Or (like was said) all of them.  :smile:

edit: why didn't you include Astonish?

Partly oversight.   I also felt that Hulk wasn't a huge part of the early Marvel Universe, as he didn't appear in TTA till issue 59 (1964?). I guess Antman was in the title...

Hopefully, I don't get roasted by the Hulk and Antman crowd.

Avengers was a pretty easy run to collect. Only need #1. Other than that the only high value issue in the run is #4.

Spidey, FF and JIM are too costly if I were to start today.

I guess what order I went in shows my preference: Thor, Daredevil, Strange Tales

I would guess ASM or FF would be the most popular

TOS and TTA are also ones I look for but are less priority.

Never finish any of these runs-- get to a point where they are too expensive and start on the next one. At this point, I'm sort of stuck with only high dollar books left in any of the runs. Thank god for TPB, reprints, etc to fill out the reading of a run at least.

I chose TOS because it's the run I wanted to complete.  I've also completed the others over time and realistically a better poll would be which ones do you not care to complete?

16 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

I chose TOS because it's the run I wanted to complete.  I've also completed the others over time and realistically a better poll would be which ones do you not care to complete?

Which ones are those Collin?

6 hours ago, piper said:

Which ones are those Collin?

I don't really care to complete Xmen or JIM or TTA, SGT fury 

even though I've had them all or mostly over the years.

At this point in my collecting cycle, I had to select "Other" :(

Would rather have Strange Tales before the Human Torch & Dr Strange/Fury, would rather have TOS & TTA before Iron Man/Sub-mariner & Ant-Man/Hulk, would rather have JIM before Thor. Those have been very challenging books to find in decent shape. Just my opinion, but its more hunting with the 50's Marvels than opening ebay.com and making a purchase of an Avengers 23 or X-Men 17 in a specific grade.

Had almost all the first 100 issues of all the post-63 superhero titles at one point or another - never really lamented selling any because there were replacements readily available. If I just could have kept a few keys to see the money they would get today :cry:

But as always - collect what you enjoy!

-bc