• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Negotiations that go nowhere

80 posts in this topic

I've been negotiating with an original owner for a comic lot of about 120 Silver and Copper Age books. I've hand picked the 120 so they aren't drek. They'll all raws, in conditions that range from VG- to FN. He's had them for years and doesn't really know anything about grading or market prices, etc. Unfortunately, you know you have a long road to climb when he's got an X-Men 1 in VG- and he quoting CGC 9.2 prices.

He wants to sell, but he thinks they're worth a fortune and negotiations have gone nowhere. He's also unwilling to give an asking price. Instead, he keeps asking me to make an offer - which is something I absolutely detest that sellers do. Following offers he rejects them, saying that the price is too low, but there's no counter offer given. 

My strategy has been to use OSPG as a reference and then negotiate the price (or a percentage) off guide price. I figured the OSPG is objective and unbiased. Something that he would feel comfortable with.

There are some great books in the lot and I'd hate to walk away - so aside from the obvious answer: WALK AWAY, what are some comic book negotiation strategies I can use here?

You can try bringing an OS Grading Guide and walking through how standards have changed. You can try showing him comps on books like the XM 1. Shouldn't be hard to find scans of books in similar shape with completed prices. 

I also have a friend who gives his best number up front, then encourages the person to visit local shops in order to get counter offers. Things usually work out in his favor. 

If he is starting out at 9.2 prices for 3.5 books though, it might just be best to cut and run, or at least limit your expectations. People like that are rarely worth the hassle unless they are VERY motivated to sell. 

8 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

No. The clear clear clear thing to do is walk away. If there's no high grade books, you're wasting your time because you can find that kind of stuff everywhere.

Failing that, the best thing to do - seriously - is to figure out what YOUR selling price on them would be. Be honest and brutal and don't cheat high or low. Tell him that number and then say "I can offer you half of that" - and if he says no, then say thank you very much and move on. 

This  - right here -

I have had people then try to up the price - based on my sales price. Then you go through the description of auction fees, overhead, actual work for individually listing books and the risk involved with hidden damage.

They either get it or they don't. The only real bargaining ploy you may have if they want more $$$ - is to increase the offer as long as all of the other books are included. All depends on what that other stock is..

Sometimes you do have to just walk away.....

1 hour ago, october said:

You can try bringing an OS Grading Guide and walking through how standards have changed. You can try showing him comps on books like the XM 1. Shouldn't be hard to find scans of books in similar shape with completed prices. 

I also have a friend who gives his best number up front, then encourages the person to visit local shops in order to get counter offers. Things usually work out in his favor. 

If he is starting out at 9.2 prices for 3.5 books though, it might just be best to cut and run, or at least limit your expectations. People like that are rarely worth the hassle unless they are VERY motivated to sell. 

I like the encouragement of going to comic shops after you give your absolute best offer.  Yes, you might lose out on the books if the LCS offers more, but if he's not budging anyways, and the LCS offers more, then he should sell to them.

50-50 the comic book shop won't even MAKE him an offer, depending on it's size.

But yes, then when he returns I'd absolutely hit him with your best offer and then walk away with a clear conscious if he rejects it.  As much as you THINK you want those books... what you really want is THOSE books at a good price.  And it's looking unlikely the latter half is happening. 

3 minutes ago, cortown71 said:

What impression are you under with him? Seller or collector? I've found a lot people seem to be of the mindset that they're going to get collector prices for all of it. 

I feel he was a collector when he acquired them years ago, and he's more of a seller now. He's an older guy in his 70's

not only does he want collector prices, but he wants top dollar collector prices. I've gone and tried to educate him on the grades; even sitting down with him and going through a small stack of books - giving each book a grade, a reason, and then looking up the value in OSPG - still to no avail.

Make him an offer but exclude the XM1. Once you clinch the lot, then come back to negotiate for the XM1. Sometimes, certain sellers need to see that you are willing to pay or is a genuine buyer or sort to kick start the engine.

If all else fails for the XM1, no love lost cos that elusive figure in that seller's mind would definitely be one that you could never match anyway. No love lost.

If he's a stubborn old dude there is no point explaining.  Just give him your offer then back slowly out of the room.  Maybe after a long time of unsuccessfully trying to sell it at his prices he'll just want to unload the books.  

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

No. The clear clear clear thing to do is walk away. If there's no high grade books, you're wasting your time because you can find that kind of stuff everywhere.

Failing that, the best thing to do - seriously - is to figure out what YOUR selling price on them would be. Be honest and brutal and don't cheat high or low. Tell him that number and then say "I can offer you half of that" - and if he says no, then say thank you very much and move on. 

Donut, he is talking about an X-Men 1 in there, even in VG-, while you can find stuff like that everywhere, buying it at an opportunity to make money might be hard.

26 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I feel he was a collector when he acquired them years ago, and he's more of a seller now. He's an older guy in his 70's

not only does he want collector prices, but he wants top dollar collector prices. I've gone and tried to educate him on the grades; even sitting down with him and going through a small stack of books - giving each book a grade, a reason, and then looking up the value in OSPG - still to no avail.

sit him down with a stack of SA slabs where CGC was tight.  what he thinks is a VF+  will be a VG-. then show him what a CGC VG- sells for.  and then remind him that's after spending $40-50 on a certification.  and after 10-15% in fees.  and possibly getting ripped off by a buyer.  and not getting the money in cash...

Just now, the blob said:

Donut, he is talking about an X-Men 1 in there, even in VG-, while you can find stuff like that everywhere, buying it at an opportunity to make money might be hard.

I thought that was outside of the 120, but my point still stands. These books are everywhere in this kind of grade, and you can't around with it. A slabbed X-men 1 in 3.5 runs $2200 (ish) right now, so offer $1100 for that book. Etc. etc. etc. Its just not really worth your time.

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

I thought that was outside of the 120, but my point still stands. These books are everywhere in this kind of grade, and you can't around with it. A slabbed X-men 1 in 3.5 runs $2200 (ish) right now, so offer $1100 for that book. Etc. etc. etc. Its just not really worth your time.

Be honest and upfront, but don't spend a lot of time trying to educate, because he doesn't want to listen. 

"This is my retail price for this pile, $x"

"I will pay you 50% of $x."

If he balks, ask for his counter. If there isn't one, say thank you very much.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Be honest and upfront, but don't spend a lot of time trying to educate, because he doesn't want to listen. 

"This is my retail price for this pile, $x"

"I will pay you 50% of $x."

If he balks, ask for his counter. If there isn't one, say thank you very much.

I think this is what it'll end up being - it's too bad, but I've already invested some time educating him and being really upfront and honest. 

Nothing in the lot is over the moon amazing, but there is an X-Men 1, 4 (FN+ shape), DD 1, 7, early ASM (including a 5,9,14,50,101,129), WWBN 32, FF 48, 52

I'll give it one last kick at the can and offer my price, as suggested here, and then walk away and move on to bigger and better things.

Make him a offer for ALL his books maybe the thought of being done with all will help. and another offer on the 120.  Sometimes people want high, then shop around finding out you had the best price, but then they feel weird about going back to you out of fear or embarrassment, so make sure he knows your offer will stand for a couple weeks for him to think /shop em. 

19 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I think this is what it'll end up being - it's too bad, but I've already invested some time educating him and being really upfront and honest. 

Nothing in the lot is over the moon amazing, but there is an X-Men 1, 4 (FN+ shape), DD 1, 7, early ASM (including a 5,9,14,50,101,129), WWBN 32, FF 48, 52

I'll give it one last kick at the can and offer my price, as suggested here, and then walk away and move on to bigger and better things.

wow - our definition of over the moon is different.  I'm usually dealing with guys hanging onto Star Wars 1 and X-Men 141 and would flip out if a sellers had books like X-Men 1 or ASM 129.  Sounds like he has a nice batch of keys so I'd take into account this and maybe offer him 35% less then FMV on his keys since 20% profit on a $2,000 books is still $400.  Still offer 50% on the lesser books but at least giving him more for the keys may get you closer to his number.  But if he wants full retail and even higher for his books wish him well and move on.  Nothing worse then spending all your effort and time and still not getting a sale.

Edited by 1Cool

In future do not spend time educating.  Give offer, if he declines give one more offer then walk.  The fact that he refuses to say how much he wants means he's so greedy he doesnt want to possibly leave any money on the table if he makes an offer and you take it he will be like dang I should have asked for more.  This usually means a guy who is impossible to buy from.

Edited by kav