• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Negotiations that go nowhere

80 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

The largest collection of books I every purchased worked out this way.  I gave my offer with a brief explanation of my number and he said no.    I left it with an open invitation to call me if he changed his mind in the near future.  He called me about 4 weeks later and accepted my offer.

The same happened to me. Seller had 37 longs, made our offer and we left. A few days later he contacted me and we bought it.

Still the best collection we have bought.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

The same happened to me. Seller had 37 longs, made our offer and we left. A few days later he contacted me and we bought it.

2 Preacher runs, 2 New Mutant runs, a box of high grade GA Dells and a few SA Marvels, it went on and on.  We need another collection like that.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

Sounds similar to the collection I purchased.   He had about 32 longs if I remember correctly, mostly copper age books, 

Just now, jhutton2 said:

Sounds similar to the collection I purchased.   He had about 32 longs if I remember correctly, mostly copper age books, 

Very similar!

Ranged from golden age and silver and bronze books he called his "collectors comics" which was one shortbox, the rest was 1985-1993ish books all bagged and boarded and never read in 37 long boxes. Many books that came out of that collection were 9.8's.

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Very similar!

Ranged from golden age and silver and bronze books he called his "collectors comics" which was one shortbox, the rest was 1985-1993ish books all bagged and boarded and never read in 37 long boxes. Many books that came out of that collection were 9.8's.

Haha, this is super similar.   All the books I have graded were mostly 9.6's and many 9.8's.  not many keys left now as I have sold most and put some into my own collection.  Time to sell off the filler books and lesser runs to clear some space.?

47 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just curious... I've read most of this thread. But how do you know he wants top dollar or 9.2 prices if he never made a counter-offer?

When I sent an offer and he rejected it, he referenced that X-Men 1 can be worth $50-60k.

at this point I knew I wasn't getting my hands on that copy 

4 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

When I sent an offer and he rejected it, he referenced that X-Men 1 can be worth $50-60k.

Good god.  GLWT

I think many of the senior collectors would like to know that there books are going to a good home and not to another reseller trying to make a buck out of their childhood treasures.

Which was why many would assume higher or unknown prices till they could convince themselves that the buyer is a genuine collector. It's very funny. Sometimes both of you just clique and you didn't even need to ask and discount would be given. :D

6 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

Just walk away.  This guy has gold dust in his eyes and believes his books are worth far more than they are.  The harder you try to get them the more he will think they're worth.

12 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

Sounds like he's not as ready to sell as he thinks he is.  I think you may be wasting your time at this point, like others have said. :sorry:

20 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Fair point if you can move all of them. I'd just be worried (without seeing them all) that you'd be moving all the good stuff and be left with the Flash 150-162 run in VG that you literally can't give away.

"and be left with the Flash 150-162 run in VG that you literally can't give away"

I've sold stuff like that and so have you, badjillions of times.  Indeed I put up a bunch of lower grade Flash books in that range just like that and they sold.  Took time, waited for an offer, but not even such a bad % of OPG.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

"and be left with the Flash 150-162 run in VG that you literally can't give away"

I've sold stuff like that and so have you, badjillions of times.  Indeed I put up a bunch of lower grade Flash books in that range just like that and they sold.  Took time, waited for an offer, but not even such a bad % of OPG.

Fair, but that's the stuff that drags you down and sits in your inventory. Flash is a bad example. Challengers.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, FlyingDonut said:

No, but they're not getting all keys. I'm pretty sure Dale's paying 80% off on the ubiquitous Challengers of the Unknown and Blackhawks that are always there.

Actually I pay pretty fairly on whatever books I buy. I am just fairly picky about what I buy. You don't find high grade Challengers (early ones anyway), so when I find really nice ones, I pay strong. I don't buy VGs unless they are basically given to me though. I want to be able to sell those VGs at 33% of guide, so they've got to be dirt cheap. I'm not tying up good money on books that don't move.  

I pay a good solid 80 - 85% on most big keys. In fact, will pay higher than that, for the right books.

21 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Fair, but that's the stuff that drags you down and sits in your inventory. Flash is a bad example. Challengers.

The early kirby ones sell and bona fide high grade copies sell, but yes

although the guys at jscomics have magic powers :-) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Challengers-of-the-Unknown-52-54-55-57-58-59-avg-VG-FN-5-0-DC-1966-/142404438166?epid=85481171&hash=item2127f74896:g:j9IAAOSwEHpZM~nx

Edited by the blob

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, Michelangelo said:

Clear signal the guy doesn't understand the hobby.  If he's not willing to listen to the basics tenets that go into pricing or do a quick "Completed Listing" search of his own on eBay, you're probably throwing away your time. 

9 hours ago, the blob said:

The early kirby ones sell and bona fide high grade copies sell, but yes

although the guys at jscomics have magic powers :-) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Challengers-of-the-Unknown-52-54-55-57-58-59-avg-VG-FN-5-0-DC-1966-/142404438166?epid=85481171&hash=item2127f74896:g:j9IAAOSwEHpZM~nx

the secret to JSComics:

Has plenty of lots always, so you buy one, then hunt for another to combine shipping.

*Doesn't have an overwhelming number of lots to choose from ( it is actually important )

Have reasonably solid grading.