• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Far Are You Willing To Go For Better PQ?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I would like to get others opinions on how much PQ affects their opinion of GA books and if they will actually be willing to accept a lower grade to get the better PQ and if so how much lower would they go? I'm not going to cover any debate over older slabs PQ today not being the same as when it was slabbed or the difference between the slabbing companies PQ grading standards or the fact dealers and collectors may not agree with the PQ results when they get their books back from the grading process.

I am asking if all things being equal you come across a book that structurally matches the assigned grade and price isn't a factor in either book (since both of those may change your mind with a purchase) take a look at the 12 different match-ups I listed below and tell me how you would generally react. Do you go with the higher numbers, the better PQ, or is it a push for you? If you go with a lower grade how much lower? 

You can answer for all 12 match-ups or just give your general opinion.

1) 9.2 OW/W or 9.0 W

2) 9.2 C/OW or 9.0 W

3) 5.0 LT/OW or 3.0 OW/W

4) 5.0 LT/OW or 4.0 OW/W

5) 9.0 C/OW or 8.0 W

6) 4.0 C/OW or 3.5 OW/W

7) 8.5 OW/W or 8.0 W

8) 8.5 C/OW or 8.0 W

9) 4.5 LT/OW or 3.5 OW

10) 7.5 C/OW or 7.0 OW/W

11) 7.0 C/OW or 6.0 W

12) 6.0 C/OW or 5.0 W

I tried to mix up the grades with numbers from 3.5 to 9.2 and PQ with Light Tan, Cream, Off White and White (sorry no pink today). I left out Slightly Brittle or Brittle which tends to scare many off to begin with.

If you are interested in commenting thanks for your responses.

Edited by N e r V

In general, I'm not a fan of Light Tan pages but have made sacrifices for books challenging to find.  Otherwise, cream pages don't bother me in the least.

Generally, I wouldn't choose a lower grade book for better page quality, with both being the same price.  I have and will pay a slight premium for a white paged book. 

It's an interesting question.  If structure is approximately the same between two books and assuming we're talking of books 1950-1960, I'll tolerate off-white pages and pay the same price either way.  If pq is cream-off-white, I'd pay 30% less.  If pq is cream or less, not interested.  At any price.  There's a copy out there somewhere with better pages and I'll find that one.  And I don't like buying books that I know I'm going to replace.  If we're talking books prior to 1950, the rules change.  I'd love to have nothing but Reilly or Church books but that's not realistic.  I'm probably willing to pay 10% less for cream pages especially for WWII books and earlier but for many of those that I'm after, just finding a copy can be tough and the market is what it is.  If I don't buy it for the market price, someone else will.  And pretty quickly, lately.

Value for the price is what I look for most, with eye-appeal the main consideration. It's more an issue of what I'd pay  up or down for PQ, all else being equal.  I don't have a lot of faith in CGCs designations, and treat everything from CR/OW through OW/W as interchangable or at least inconsistent enough not to matter much.  White pages I might pay a little more for, though in practice may consider them closer to OW  if I crack the book out.  Lt-tan,  I'll likely discount what I'm willing to pay. For raw it's hard to tell from scans or photos, a flash can make cream pages look  ow/w and lack of one can make ow/w look cream, but once again tanning pages are something I not fond of, and won't pay as much for. For books I buy for interior content more than cover, I don't really care for anything below ow, and would definitely take a 4.5/5.0 with nice pages over a 6.0/6.5 with edge tanning 

It's interesting to read how others feel about this. For me, there is a big consideration at play here: Am I going to crack the book out to enjoy raw? If I am, by all means, I want c/ow at MINIMUM, usually off white or better. If it's going to live in the holder, it's not as big a deal to me, but white pages are a definite plus! I actually think white pages should consistently sell at a premium. From my considerable experience, white paged books almost always have very solid, tight structural integrity, where books with lesser pq tend to be more .... weak .... or limp. I'd rather have a crisp, fresh copy with white pages & some technical defects above a higher technical grade book with a floppy, circulated feel.