• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is FOOM #10 not a bronze mega key?

11 posts in this topic

If it really predates GS X-Men #1? Is it because most collectors just aren't aware of that? And if they aren't, why is that the case? Looks like a good investment opportunity IMO. Several nice copies currently available on Ebay for a few hundred each.

Edited by twmjr1

The cover date on all original copies of GSX 1 is "1975" (i.e., it was treated as an "annual"), and according to Mike's Amazing World, was on sale in April of '75: 

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/comic.php?comicid=46233

Other sources put the on-sale date of GSX 1 as early as Feb of '75.  In any case, it's safe to say that the book was on sale during the Spring of 1975.  This is consistent with my memory of seeing it on a spinner rack in a 7-11 right around my birthday in May of 1975, when I was in 5th grade.

FOOM 10, on the other hand, is dated June of '75, and was only available via mail order subscription, as far as I can remember, so is there a true "on sale" date for it? In any case,  also remember that FOOM was a promotional/fan magazine, so #10 was almost certainly designed to push and complement the "new" X-Men team and their creators--as featured in a newsstand comic book which was already available to readers--and NOT to introduce them.

Of course, none of this will stop sellers from asking astronomical prices for it, I'm sure...

On 7/1/2017 at 8:43 AM, jools&jim said:

The cover date on all original copies of GSX 1 is "1975" (i.e., it was treated as an "annual"), and according to Mike's Amazing World, was on sale in April of '75: 

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/comic.php?comicid=46233

Other sources put the on-sale date of GSX 1 as early as Feb of '75.  In any case, it's safe to say that the book was on sale during the Spring of 1975.  This is consistent with my memory of seeing it on a spinner rack in a 7-11 right around my birthday in May of 1975, when I was in 5th grade.

FOOM 10, on the other hand, is dated June of '75, and was only available via mail order subscription, as far as I can remember, so is there a true "on sale" date for it? In any case,  also remember that FOOM was a promotional/fan magazine, so #10 was almost certainly designed to push and complement the "new" X-Men team and their creators--as featured in a newsstand comic book which was already available to readers--and NOT to introduce them.

Of course, none of this will stop sellers from asking astronomical prices for it, I'm sure...

Thanks. I wonder why I see images of gs x-men 1 that say may though..

Not to mention...its a publisher-produced fanzine, not a comic. They are cool, they are collectible, but they are a niche. Like sigs, like price variants etc, not every collector actively pursues them.

I should add....they are also a much smaller niche than the two examples I used, too.

Edited by Readcomix

On 6/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, twmjr1 said:

If it really predates GS X-Men #1? Is it because most collectors just aren't aware of that? And if they aren't, why is that the case? Looks like a good investment opportunity IMO. Several nice copies currently available on Ebay for a few hundred each.

best of luck with that piece of krap the sale