• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Graphic Novel 4 - 1st New Mutants Thread
2 2

25 posts in this topic

If one thread already exists, let me know.  I can't find one anywhere on the boards or I'm blind.  Post them slabbed or raw if you have them.  Lot of recent sales so I assume some boardies have some.  I will post mine once my scanner is up and running.

Sweet Book, I love the Sig placement.  Even though someone great did write on the cover!! :)

I have four MGN 4's.  Trying to get them all in CGC grades from the lowest to the highest.  Also, looking to grab raw versions as well.  

50003250092000001451942011.jpg

50003250094000001217217001.jpg

mar65.171a.jpg

IMG_4750.JPG

On 6/30/2017 at 9:56 PM, *Bronze age fan* said:

Add me to the club.

IMG_2063.JPG

Thanks for sharing.  Great glossy cover!!!  Welcome to club.  Only 3 of us for now.  More to join and share I hope.  

Nice Book Dr. Zen.  I love it!!  I started collecting a few years after this came out, around 1985/1986 (Crisis & Secret Wars) era.  I recall seeing this book for about $10 in 85/86 and dreamed of owning it.  I always thought it was a cool cover.  Wish I still had the copy I purchased back then.  I'm hoping at SDCC I find some RAW books to buy and perhaps find any CGC SS Stan Lee.

7 hours ago, Agent 007 said:

5 Copies!!!  Holy Cow.  Great looking set of books you have there.  Also, I see a variant $5.95?

That's a later printing.

There is a $5.95 cover price edition that is generally known to be a Canadian priced edition, as I've graded at least four or five of them in the past and I've bought them all in Canada. 

2 hours ago, Agent 007 said:

Good to know.  Guess I'm on a hunt for those as well for my collection.

Here's a recently graded copy of mine

IMG_0493.jpg

On 7/16/2017 at 8:02 PM, greggy said:

That's a later printing.

There is a $5.95 cover price edition that is generally known to be a Canadian priced edition, as I've graded at least four or five of them in the past and I've bought them all in Canada. 

Yep 4.95/5.95 later print.   I'm assuming all the 4.95 covers are first prints but there is a difference on one copy so I need to learn up on printing variation and clarification.  I've read what's here on the boards.  I think.  But is there anything definitive with images.   Anyone PM me please ?

1 hour ago, The_Investor said:

Does anyone think MGN 4 Can price variant ($5.95 cover price only) or regular copies ($4.95) have room to grow or it already hit its peak?

It's maxed out.  I'm pretty shocked they go for what they do considering there are people that have long boxes in warehouses of these things.  It's incredibly common.2c

26 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It's maxed out.  I'm pretty shocked they go for what they do considering there are people that have long boxes in warehouses of these things.  It's incredibly common.2c

Thanks Randal. I'm asking this question because I'm thinking of getting one but hesitant because it's gone up alot the last year or two. I guess if I find someone who is selling a copy at a price that would make both seller and buyer happy I'll go for it :)  

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I still do not see a ton of these when looking thru collections and definitely not in high grade.  The black cover magazines are really, really tough to keep in great shape over the last 35 years.  There is about 250 graded copies between 9.4 - 9.8 which although not rare is not a ton for such a key book that commands good prices.  My gut tells me the 9.8 some room left to grow (possibly $900 - $1000) once promos start coming out and if the movie looks to be a good one.  I also see 9.6 and 9.4s having room to grow since I think $375 - $400 for a 9.6 is feasible.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I still do not see a ton of these when looking thru collections and definitely not in high grade.  The black cover magazines are really, really tough to keep in great shape over the last 35 years.  There is about 250 graded copies between 9.4 - 9.8 which although not rare is not a ton for such a key book that commands good prices.  My gut tells me the 9.8 some room left to grow (possibly $900 - $1000) once promos start coming out and if the movie looks to be a good one.  I also see 9.6 and 9.4s having room to grow since I think $375 - $400 for a 9.6 is feasible.

I think most people that own CGC 9.8s have the same opinion.  FWIW, 250 copies graded between 9.4 and 9.8 doesn't mean something is rare or that it in anyway represents the actual number of very high grade books out there.  The book is about as rare as Alpha Flight 1.  So, I don't recommend anyone pay the irrational prices for an arbitrary number on the slab.  It's not a good bet.  If you bought a copy a few years ago for $50, that would be a different story.  Just my opinion, though.

47 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think most people that own CGC 9.8s have the same opinion.  FWIW, 250 copies graded between 9.4 and 9.8 doesn't mean something is rare or that it in anyway represents the actual number of very high grade books out there.  The book is about as rare as Alpha Flight 1.  So, I don't recommend anyone pay the irrational prices for an arbitrary number on the slab.  It's not a good bet.  If you bought a copy a few years ago for $50, that would be a different story.  Just my opinion, though.

Well reasoned Randall !