• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carnage Cover Question - may sell

29 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, brianlake7 said:

I have this cover to Carnage 14 from the 2016 Series it was done by Michael Walsh, I was thinking of selling it, anyone know what it maybe worth or the best place to sell it?

IMG_5553.jpg

Modern art has done really well on ComicLink. If I had to guess on value, I'd say $250-$350.

4 minutes ago, brianlake7 said:

would that be the best place?

Either that, here or eBay.  Heritage isn't really good for modern stuff, and they take a huge chunk of proceeds (29.5%).  ComicLink takes 10% and does pretty good with modern stuff.  ComicConnect is ok with modern art, but I think you'd get better visibility on ComicLink. Both take the same cut.  eBay is well eBay.  

9 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Modern art has done really well on ComicLink. If I had to guess on value, I'd say $250-$350.

I don't follow Carnage art at all so I could be wrong, but that seems low for a nice looking cover

A) It's a cover

B) It's of a popular, recognizable Marvel character

C) It's a pretty cool image.

The going rate for such modern covers is in the $1K-2K range. I'd say closer to $1000 for that one. Probably the minimum would be around $750-800, if you hit the market at the wrong time.

If it were an inside splash, then the other estimates would be more accurate. Published covers get significant premiums. 

I think eBay would be the easiest way to sell it. If you do, post a photo of the published cover with it, and maybe even offer to give away a copy of the comic with the purchase. It's only a few extra bucks, but that is always a nice little extra for anyone buying the art. Plus, it allows people to visualize and compare the OA with the final published cover.

All of the above comes with the caveat that I'm not an OA valuation expert, and these are just my opinions. Others may not agree, and probably don't! So, don't sue me if you put it up, and only get $500 for it. :cool:

Edited by PhilipB2k17

9 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I would not be at all surprised if it went for 2x that or more if he tossed it on eBay with a reasonable starting bid 2c

Yes. That's the secret. You don't want to set too high a starting bid for a piece. If you are concerned about selling it too cheap, let the bidding start at $1, but set a reserve price at the minimum you are willing to part with it. You want people to get into a bidding war over it.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

A) It's a cover

B) It's of a popular, recognizable Marvel character

C) It's a pretty cool image.

The going rate for such modern covers is in the $1K-2K range. I'd say closer to $1000 for that one. Probably the minimum would be around $750-800, if you hit the market at the wrong time.

If it were an inside splash, then the other estimates would be more accurate. Published covers get significant premiums. 

I think eBay would be the easiest way to sell it. If you do, post a photo of the published cover with it, and maybe even offer to give away a copy of the comic with the purchase. It's only a few extra bucks, but that is always a nice little extra for anyone buying the art. Plus, it allows people to visualize and compare the OA with the final published cover.

All of the above comes with the caveat that I'm not an OA valuation expert, and these are just my opinions. Others may not agree, and probably don't! So, don't sue me if you put it up, and only get $500 for it. :cool:

Maybe it's me being an old man at this point, but I've never heard of this cover artist. That's always been a driver of what I'd bid on a piece. 

12 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Maybe it's me being an old man at this point, but I've never heard of this cover artist. That's always been a driver of what I'd bid on a piece. 

Yeah, I'm not sold that any modern cover featuring a popular marvel character on a cool image is automatically 1K.

Malvin

13 minutes ago, malvin said:

Yeah, I'm not sold that any modern cover featuring a popular marvel character on a cool image is automatically 1K.

Malvin

Well, as I said, someone would disagree with me. As with all things OA, your mileage may vary.

You can't buy a Marvel cover these days for less than $500. Not unless the seller is truly desperate.

Agreed that Walsh isn't all that well known yet... He is doing some amazing art on Hawkeye (Kate Bishop - which if you aren't reading is a good book so give it a shot) and did the covers for We Can Never Go Home (and when and if it returns will keep doing them). So, he isn't known yet but is getting more and more work bit by bit.

2 hours ago, artistlost said:

Agreed that Walsh isn't all that well known yet... He is doing some amazing art on Hawkeye (Kate Bishop - which if you aren't reading is a good book so give it a shot) and did the covers for We Can Never Go Home (and when and if it returns will keep doing them). So, he isn't known yet but is getting more and more work bit by bit.

What he said. :bump:

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Feels high to me for a relative unknown, but definitely more than originally quoted just out of the gate no matter what for a published cover. 

I remember the buzz around him a few years back after illustrating the covers for We Can Never Go Home book.  I would personally consigned it to CL as I do not see it selling under $1K

1 minute ago, Matches_Malone said:

I remember the buzz around him a few years back after illustrating the covers for We Can Never Go Home book.  I would personally consigned it to CL as I do not see it selling under $1K

I like his work. If I recall, he worked on Zero too.