• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And as a added bonus, it's also old label goodness which doesn't come around that often and is generally hard to beat.  :cloud9:

I'm also not a believer in "old label goodness" -- I'm in a skeptical mood today! :)

Again, it assumes that CGC graded tighter in the early years, a point I'm not convinced of.  And it assumes that somehow the current owner (or auction house listing the book) hasn't bothered to pick up the free cash on the table by regrading an obviously undergraded book.

These days I thinks it's more likely that an old label book is overgraded (explaining why it's still in an old label slab) than that it's undergraded.

One last point is that the old slabs were more subject to SCS and, of course, the more time that has gone by, the greater the chance that the book might have deteriorated in the slab due to improper storage.

45 minutes ago, sagii said:

...And it's not a Romance book :whatthe: :whatthe: 

but i hazzard an 8.0 Cinderella Love could match that hm

The Church copy of CL 25 in high grade would probably rocket to the moon.  It's not in Chuck's original catalog, but some St John romance books were sold before the catalog, so it's possible it exists.

26 minutes ago, GoldenPRGuy said:

I've got my eyes on one item only: Pep 22 8.0 OW-W ... it's going to bring new record price. Wish I had the cash.

What do you think, 2? 250?

Certainly the 'it' book of this auction. I think you're right on point with 250. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

These days I thinks it's more likely that an old label book is overgraded (explaining why it's still in an old label slab) than that it's undergraded.

From my point of view, it's more likely that the book was brought by an old time collector who's had it sitting in their private collection for the longest while  (thumbsu, as opposed to a new generation type collector who is much more into the CPR game and believes that it's all about the grade and nothing else.  :frown:

For example, I don't believe Jon bothered to "maximize the potential" on any of his books before putting them out for auction.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

53 minutes ago, GoldenPRGuy said:

I've got my eyes on one item only: Pep 22 8.0 OW-W ... it's going to bring new record price. Wish I had the cash.

WOW !  What Auction House has this book ??

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From my point of view, it's more likely that the book was brought by an old time collector who's had it sitting in their private collection for the longest while  (thumbsu, as opposed to a new generation type collector who is much more into the CPR game and believes that it's all about the grade and nothing else.  :frown:

For example, I don't believe Jon bothered to "maximize the potential" on any of his books before putting them out for auction.  :gossip:

It would seem that he really didn't need to...

10 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
1 hour ago, GoldenPRGuy said:

WOW !  What Auction House has this book ??

ComicConnect, as seen below:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=732549

Absolutely amazing, and without a doubt, this is going to be the highlight book of the entire auction.  (thumbsu

You can't get any better than the highest graded copy of the first Archie appearance, as this one has been a long time waiting is going to go to the moon.  :flipbait:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Oh wow  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe: ................finally, a nice copy of a Fox book which all of us regular collectors can hopefully afford.

The highest graded copy of Mystery Men 11 which is tied with the Allentown copy and owned by one of our esteemed board members here who emphatically states that it is not going to be available in the marketplace anytime soon.

Will definitely beat the price of the Allentown copy which was brought over 10 years ago when the Fox books were going through a cooling period.  Will be interesting to see if it passes the sale price for the Church copy in the recent Berk auction since the MH copy is quite a few grade notches lower than this copy here.  hm

And as a added bonus, it's also old label goodness which doesn't come around that often and is generally hard to beat.  :cloud9:

The 9.0 is nice, but I would rather have the Church. Better colors, PQ and eye appeal. 

I am not overly concerned with technical grade though, which puts me in the minority. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Dream on! lol

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

And one of the main reasons why I even registered on the CC website so that I could bid on books in this specific auction.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Certainly right about that, although I think on some of Berk's books prices were driven up by buyers believing the books could be, ah, potentialized.

The way the hobby has gone, typically an auction house will advise a consignor on what can be done to maximize the dough he's likely to get from his books, including cleaning, pressing, and resto/conservation removal.  I guess they would be remiss not to, and, of course, their own cut depends on how high prices on the books can be pushed.

With books selling for the kind of prices we've seen in recent years, these developments were inevitable, I think.

24 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The way the hobby has gone, typically an auction house will advise a consignor on what can be done to maximize the dough he's likely to get from his books, including cleaning, pressing, and resto/conservation removal.  I guess they would be remiss not to, and, of course, their own cut depends on how high prices on the books can be pushed.

Or they could play the long game and inform the buyer about the possible maximization of potential, especially if the consignor is an old time collector who doesn't believe in playing the grading juicing game.  hm

After all, why collect on the fees only once, when you could collect on them twice.  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

And it assumes that somehow the current owner (or auction house listing the book) hasn't bothered to pick up the free cash on the table by regrading an obviously undergraded book.

I have plenty of books still in old labels and likely would not crack them out for regrading before selling.  I would definitely never press them before selling.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

I have plenty of books still in old labels and likely would not crack them out for regrading before selling.  I would definitely never press them before selling.

Same thinking :smile:

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

3 hours ago, comicjack said:

Same thinking :smile:

You guys need to give me a head's up when you decide to sell. :)

I understand the desire not to fool with a high grade book that has gotten this far without any monkey business.  And to pass the book on to another collector in the same state.  But the way the hobby has gone, the number of untouched books will continue to dwindle.  The amount of dough involved has gotten too great.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

Make sure you advertise that so the flippers think there is meat on the bone. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I understand the desire not to fool with a high grade book that has gotten this far without any monkey business.  And to pass the book on to another collector in the same state.  But the way the hobby has gone, the number of untouched books will continue to dwindle.  The amount of dough involved has gotten too great.

Sadly very true

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Someone's running a sales thread with a number of old label slabs and books cracked from old label slabs.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:
23 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

20 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Dream on! lol

I see, you discovered my secret........I love to daydream.  :cloud9:

I do honestly believe that if you find a book with an old label that's been graded prior to 2003, the chances of it having been artificially juiced up or pressed is most likely slim to none.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately, I would definitely not say the odds are anywhere remotely close to that for the post-2005 graded books.  :frown:

I would probably pay a premium for an old label book depending upon the condition of the book itself, but unfortunately so would many of the flippers who would probably see this as nothing more than an opportunity to squeeze a few more dollars out of the book.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 29/06/2017 at 0:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely NOT as the 5th highest graded copy of Seven Seas 4 already did that earlier this year:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/seven-seas-comics-4-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-vf-85-off-white-pages/a/7158-91100.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Looks like the Seven Seas 6 was graded back in 2012 which many considered to be a relatively soft grading time period.  Must take a closer look at the actual book itself, although it is a Church copy and you can't go wrong with that.  (thumbsu

I was hoping nobody would notice that one. It's a beautiful book and from the scan, every inch a 9.4.