• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
10 hours ago, sagii said:

5.5 cr/ow $23, 900.00

on the AS 3 above.  Is that a stronger price than's been seen as of late ?  If yes, why do you think ?  Movie effect ?? 

8 hours ago, sagii said:

Though I think most gold enthusiasts would argue movie hype doesn't effect a lot of gold books, I certainly could see an advisor drawing the connection to an investor that the JSA is the 'original' JLA so hence , the teams 'true' first appearance. 

I think it is the strongest price for that one in recent years. 

Actually, is this not a weak price since it is running only a bit over $4K on a price per point basis, as I believe CC had a couple in their auctions around the beginning of this year at higher PPP levels than this? 

In fact, didn't one of them get close to something like $10K on a price per point basis?  :whatthe:

The only reason I remember is that I had made a comment at the time about how the marketplace appear to be cycling back to some of the traditional keys which had been out of favor for a rather extended period of time as collectors had been busy chasing after classic covers along with some of the newer and cheaper keys that were popping up.  hm

7 hours ago, Beige said:

The As #3 was not good at all!

a 7.0 went for $69,000 recently

6.5 for $32,000

+1

Now, those were the stats for the recent sales of AS 3 that I remembered.  (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Beige said:

The 5.5 went for $20,000 (without premium), the 3.0 for $8250 (WO/P) - the 3.0 was mine, and both Heritage and I were quite shocked at how low they both went.

Still them's the breaks, win some, lose some.

It's never a good idea for an auction house to put 2 copies of a supposedly tough and important GA book into the same auction.  :gossip:

Unfortunately for you, Overstreet along with a part of the market will see both of these as strong sales since they are both at price points which are significantly higher than guide.  For example, your 3.0 copy of AS 3 will be shown as a sale at almost $10K versus a current guide price of only $8,400 and I also assume that you will be receiving less than the $8,250 hammer for your book when it's all said and done.  Hence, weak sale for you, but relatively strong for the marketplace and further support for increasing the price in next year's guide.  hm

Still came out better than the consignor for the All-Flash 1 even after the consignor for the lower graded Rockford pulled his copy out of the auction.  Too late as everybody now already knows there are 2 copies of this same book in play since they were both in the printed catalogue.  Now, this one is assuredly a very weak price since it hammered out at only $6K versus a 8.0 condition guide price of $8,750 which means the consignor will most likely be receiving even less than $6K on this book here.  :tonofbricks:

8 hours ago, Beige said:

But you wouldn't have wanted to be the seller of the HG ASM run....... some huge losses.  Too much sabre-rattling atm for people to spend $$$ on funny books!

Some huge losses as compared to what since I don't believe the consignor will see it quite the same way since these books were purchased more than 25+ years ago at what I assumed must have been at fractional levels of what they sold for today.  Except for the Spidey 3, it looks like all the rest of them sold for either huge premiums to guide or even at multiples to guide.  I guess it might be "huge losses" as compared to recent GPA prices, but I am not sure since I don't really follow the SA market at all.  (shrug)

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Now, those were the stats for the recent sales of AS 3 that I remembered.  (thumbsu

It's never a good idea for an auction house to put 2 copies of a supposedly tough and important GA book into the same auction.  :gossip:

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, my wife of 30 years has been battling cancer for a while, and suffered a stroke.

I needed to liquidate some books to remodel bathroom etc to make things easier for her - hence why I had to leave the book in the sale.

I would have not sold for some time, but needs must.

FWIW Heritage and myself had about 12-13K estimation on the 3.0.

However - and I want to be clear - Heritage were excellent, but it seems that it was just the wrong time for both books. More importantly, I sold 7 books and the renovations can commence forthwith, and I can stay off work to care for her until she gets better.

That's the important thing for us.

Regarding the Voldemort slabs - I had both companies slabs - the SA ones all had about a 5-10% under GPA regardless of who slabbed them.  I think some books are just more popular currently, whilst some that hit the heights in the last 12-18 months are cooling down.

Again, totally delighted with Heritage, another day, all books could have got another 15% or lost another 10%

It's just the way things go! :foryou:

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, is this not a weak price since it is running only a bit over $4K on a price per point basis, as I believe CC had a couple in their auctions around the beginning of this year at higher PPP levels than this? 

In fact, didn't one of them get close to something like $10K on a price per point basis?  :whatthe:

The only reason I remember is that I had made a comment at the time about how the marketplace appear to be cycling back to some of the traditional keys which had been out of favor for a rather extended period of time as collectors had been busy chasing after classic covers along with some of the newer and cheaper keys that were popping up.  hm

Lou, your memory/information  for stats/Data is second to none (worship) But I still feel in comparison to the other sales the seller cited, that grade and hammer considered, the 5.5 falls in line with the other sales (variables considered).

...but I am going to cry "Uncle" on this one. lol

Lou :foryou:

16 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
16 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

Big congrats, good price too.

actually won with my tracking bid that I placed before I bought a copy at sdcc...... go figure...now I'm "saddled" with 3 copies lol

Well, this confirms that you are nothing but a hoarder when it comes to these nicer Centaur books.  :baiting:

Actually, I had thrown in some bids on these AMF Centaurs, but did not want to go overly aggressive on them because from bidding on them in the Jon Berk auction, I got the distinct feeling that the bidding for them at some of these higher price levels were rather thin.  Looks like it took only an additional 1 or 2 bid increments above the final internet bid to take most of these books out.  I was a bit surprised that the AMF V2/#2 with the classic cover and featured on the back cover of the Heritage Auction catalogue was unable to garner even a single additional bid during the live portion of the auction.  :whatthe:

Besides the issue with the Sand Hogs cover which I thought went for a reasonable price, the other one which I was giving some serious thought to was AMF 23.  Besides being the current highest graded copy on the CGC census with very few copies graded, the listed PQ on this book just seem to be better than on the rest of the Centaurs in this auction.  My earlier bid on this book turned out to be the under bid and I was seriously thinking of bumping it up another increment when I was watching the auction live during brunch at the restaurant.  Don't think I would have won it since I am quite sure it would have been outbid in the end anyways.  (shrug)

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Ducks are back!  Best selection in ages, and prices definitely well above levels of the last few years, although still not back at their high water mark yet.  Most surprising was the CGC 9.2 Four Color 386 at $13,000.  A few years ago, you could pick up a 9.4 copy for less.  $13,000 for a 9.2 puts the book back to the days when 9.4 copies were going for $25k.   

+1

Yes, I was definitely surprised that some of the Ducks did so well in this particular auction here.  :whatthe:

Especially when they had quite a few Ducks in their last auction in May and the books did not seem to do so well.  For example, a copy of FC 159 was only able to fetch something like $750or thereabouts in CGC 8.5 grade, and yet the CGC 9.4 copy (not the highest graded copy) went for almost $6K in this particular auction here.  hm

Definitely a strong and rather surprising price on the FC 386, but hopefully a sign of better things to come going forward on these Duck books.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, I was definitely surprised that some of the Ducks did so well in this particular auction here.  :whatthe:

Especially when they had quite a few Ducks in their last auction in May and the books did not seem to do so well.  For example, a copy of FC 159 was only able to fetch something like $750or thereabouts in CGC 8.5 grade, and yet the CGC 9.4 copy (not the highest graded copy) went for almost $6K in this particular auction here.  hm

Definitely a strong and rather surprising price on the FC 386, but hopefully a sign of better things to come going forward on these Duck books.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

What did Christmas in Shacktown end at ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

12 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Glad you got the funds you needed. I hope the renovations make things a little easier for your wife and you. 

Thankyou, and to the others  for the likes to your post.

Much appreciated

I had my eyes on a few books like Eerie 1, lost track of time, and forgot to bid. Oh well, it was a beautiful day for a run!

4 minutes ago, piper said:

I had my eyes on a few books like Eerie 1, lost track of time, and forgot to bid. Oh well, it was a beautiful day for a run!

Just now, comicjack said:

Look how much money you saved :smile:

'''Tis true.   There will always be other books to get instead...

On 8/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, Beige said:

The As #3 was not good at all!

a 7.0 went for $69,000 recently

Speaking of strong prices for AS 3, the one that I've never been able to understand is the following:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Why in the world would the subsequent buyer of this AS 3 not bother to bid in a high profile auction for the Billy Wright CGC 8.5 graded copy for less than $50K and instead, decide to apparently pay $200K  :whatthe:  :screwy: for the exact same copy less than a week later through the Make An Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has?  ???  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 2017年8月12日 at 1:40 AM, lou_fine said:

more than any other ga books, i would say that duck books have very low correlation between lower grade prices and high grade prices.  unlike many other ga books, duck books are common as dirt if you don’t care about grade, because the print runs were so high. therefore prices for lower grade copies are relatively low compared to their high grade counterparts.

30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

more than any other ga books, i would say that duck books have very low correlation between lower grade prices and high grade prices.  unlike many other ga books, duck books are common as dirt if you don’t care about grade, because the print runs were so high. therefore prices for lower grade copies are relatively low compared to their high grade counterparts.

..... and the Duck books look ESPECIALLY nice in uber state....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Speaking of strong prices for AS 3, the one that I've never been able to understand is the following:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Why in the world would the subsequent buyer of this AS 3 not bother to bid in a high profile auction for the Billy Wright CGC 8.5 graded copy for less than $50K and instead, decide to apparently pay $200K  :whatthe:  :screwy: for the exact same copy less than a week later through the Make An Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has?  ???  doh!

As Gotham Kid said, sometimes you just miss the auction.

Recently I was waiting to snipe an eBay auction.  In the last few seconds, as I attempted to bid, eBay told me I was not signed in (even though I had successfully bid on another book 2 minutes earlier).  My max bid was almost 5 times what the winning bid was.  I felt sick about this for days, knowing I would have gladly paid 5 times what the winner had paid (probably more).  If eBay had a "Make An Offer to Owner" feature like Heritage does, I would have gladly made the lucky winner a substantial offer.

*To be fair, I was not buying a $50K book in the above example, however, it was a GA book I had been searching for and in the condition I was looking for, so I was willing to pay the price.  Now I am feeling sick again, just thinking about it.   lol.

doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!doh!