• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tth2 said:
11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

..... and the Duck books look ESPECIALLY nice in uber state....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

i certainly thought so

Being a former HG collector myself, I think that all books looks ESPECIALLY nicer in uber HG condition.  :baiting:  lol

On 8/12/2017 at 11:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking of strong prices for AS 3, the one that I've never been able to understand is the following:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Why in the world would the subsequent buyer of this AS 3 not bother to bid in a high profile auction for the Billy Wright CGC 8.5 graded copy for less than $50K and instead, decide to apparently pay $200K  :whatthe:  :screwy: for the exact same copy less than a week later through the Make An Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has?

most likely, these were bought by the person embezzling funds from Tadano America Corporation and he made the offers once he had secured the money. (just like the AA16 that sold in this auction for nearly 100K more the following week, the Action 1 that sold for 100K more, etc, etc)

On 8/13/2017 at 7:55 AM, Hudson said:

Recently I was waiting to snipe an eBay auction.  In the last few seconds, as I attempted to bid, eBay told me I was not signed in (even though I had successfully bid on another book 2 minutes earlier).  My max bid was almost 5 times what the winning bid was.  I felt sick about this for days, knowing I would have gladly paid 5 times what the winner had paid (probably more).  If eBay had a "Make An Offer to Owner" feature like Heritage does, I would have gladly made the lucky winner a substantial offer.

Why didn't you use a snipe service?

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

I don't know how to do that.

Besides, I was sitting right there at my computer, so I thought I was "good to go"

Somehow, eBay logged me out.  When I placed my bid eBay said I needed to log in again and I was not quick enough.

My stomach hit the floor............

18 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Besides, I was sitting right there at my computer, so I thought I was "good to go"

Somehow, eBay logged me out.  When I placed my bid eBay said I needed to log in again and I was not quick enough.

Gotcha. Horrible feeling for sure.

check out www.gavelsnipe.com - still totally free, and I've never had a failed snipe on ebay yet.

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

I have had that happen to me as well. Go to bidnip.com and look at what they offer. Pretty cheap overall. I have had decent luck with them. 

13 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have had that happen to me as well. Go to bidnip.com and look at what they offer. Pretty cheap overall. I have had decent luck with them. 

Thank you, sir.  

Edited by Hudson

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
On 8/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking of strong prices for AS 3, the one that I've never been able to understand is the following:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Why in the world would the subsequent buyer of this AS 3 not bother to bid in a high profile auction for the Billy Wright CGC 8.5 graded copy for less than $50K and instead, decide to apparently pay $200K  :whatthe:  :screwy: for the exact same copy less than a week later through the Make An Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has?

most likely, these were bought by the person embezzling funds from Tadano America Corporation and he made the offers once he had secured the money. (just like the AA16 that sold in this auction for nearly 100K more the following week, the Action 1 that sold for 100K more, etc, etc)

Oh yes, now I remember this big fiasco.

Now those ridiculous post auction sales offers makes a lot more sense.  (thumbsu

Any idea if Heritage or the original purchasers of these books had to take them back in the end and give the proceeds or crime back?  If so, shouldn't Heritage really be taking these unconsummated offers off their website because they are completely misleading?  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if Heritage or the original purchasers of these books had to take them back in the end and give the proceeds or crime back?  If so, shouldn't Heritage really be taking these unconsummated offers off their website because they are completely misleading?

I believe Heritage resold a number of the books the following year on behalf of Tadano America.  You can't replevy cash, so whatever the guilty party purchased, Tadano could not force them to refund money for the books.

I don't know if they removed offers the guilty party made from the website or not. But it appears the actual sales that were made are staying on the website as a part of the historical record.

12 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Hudson said:

Recently I was waiting to snipe an eBay auction.  In the last few seconds, as I attempted to bid, eBay told me I was not signed in (even though I had successfully bid on another book 2 minutes earlier).  My max bid was almost 5 times what the winning bid was.  I felt sick about this for days, knowing I would have gladly paid 5 times what the winner had paid (probably more).  If eBay had a "Make An Offer to Owner" feature like Heritage does, I would have gladly made the lucky winner a substantial offer.

Or if it's something that you had to have and would've paid much more for, why take the risk by sniping, and thus exposing yourself to any kind of disruption in the last second (hiccup on eBay's side, internet/data connection outage on your side, a spider bites you at the critical moment, etc.)?  Even if you use a sniping service, something could go wrong.  There's just no margin for error when you snipe.

Put your max bid in (or at least an aggressive bid that you think has a very high chance of winning) with plenty of time to spare and then let the chips fall where they may.  If your aggressive bid gets outbid, then you might still have time to put in your real max bid.

If it's something that's not critical and you don't really care if you win or lose, or if your max bid is going to be right around market value and you're okay if you get outbid, then snipe away.  Otherwise, give yourself some margin for error. 

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Or if it's something that you had to have and would've paid much more for, why take the risk by sniping, and thus exposing yourself to any kind of disruption in the last second

Put your max bid in (or at least an aggressive bid that you think has a very high chance of winning) with plenty of time to spare and then let the chips fall where they may.  

My "Max Bid" was obviously much higher than anyone else was willing to pay (or at least anyone who showed up on eBay to bid).  I did not want to throw in a "Big" bid early and then have somebody sit there and just keep inching their bid higher in order to see what my max was (be it a seller who shill bids or just some other eBay user who likes to throw in bids they have no intention of winning with - and I think we all know that both these types individuals exist on eBay).

In hind sight, I wished I had at least bid 15 or 20 seconds before the end, instead of trying to snipe with less than 10 seconds to go.  With a few more seconds, I could have logged in again and got my bid in on time.  Oh well, live and learn.  This was a costly mistake and all I can do is hope that another copy surfaces in the future.

I am also thankful for the info on the "snipe services", provided by Crowzilla and Batman_Fan.  Although I don't see myself using a snipe service too often, they could come in handy for times when I am working, traveling, or for some other reason, unable to bid at auction end.

Edited by Hudson