• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, on a more serious note though, if you combine Fox books with classic covers which are both supposedly red hot in today's marketplace, you usually end up with record prices at that particular condition grade level.  And sometimes even silly prices, but probably not in this particular case.  hm

I guess we'll just have to wait and see in another hour though.  :taptaptap:

4 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:
5 hours ago, jhm said:

Congrats to whomever I was battling on the FC#3. I hope it was a boardie 

I dropped out with about 10 minutes to go.  It ended, after all the 3 minute extensions, at $45k I think.  Triple guide is about right for that book, I guess.

Well, it looks like we got our answer as this copy moved up about $20K in the last hour of the auction, with most of this move done during the extended 3-minute bidding time periods.

Definitely looks like a strong price for this grade, but at the same time it's not an irrational silly price in the end, as the book came in at something like 3.2X condition guide for one of the preeminent classic cover books out there.  (thumbsu

28 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I noticed there are new slabs and old slabs both with the pedigree notation, yet it's not listed on the website as an acknowledged pedigree.  Happy to have a copy either way! :cloud9: 

put no stock in the list; last time I checked they had still not gotten around to adding the billy wright collection. 

12 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I lost out on some books in tonight's auctions, but I didn't miss em all.  My dad, now 93, was taken prisoner in the WWII Battle of the Bulge.  I can't not collect these . . .

the defects are just the way I like them:  hidden.  I don't mind detached centerfolds and covers, or a bit of tape.  I end up with a nice strong cover image without having to pay a ton of money.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

Nice books!

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Great pick up ! Why was the Toledo pedigree defrocked again?

Yes, that. What's up with the Toledo pedigree? Is it? Is it not? And why?

News to me.  It was, I think, an extensive collection of high-grade books, so it's not clear why CGC would pull its recognition (if they have).  Maybe some info came to light that the backstory wasn't what we thought it was?

16 hours ago, fleepunyhumans said:

I lost out on some books in tonight's auctions, but I didn't miss em all.  My dad, now 93, was taken prisoner in the WWII Battle of the Bulge.  I can't not collect these . . .

the defects are just the way I like them:  hidden.  I don't mind detached centerfolds and covers, or a bit of tape.  I end up with a nice strong cover image without having to pay a ton of money.

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

Definitely beautiful additions.  I bet your dad has some incredible stories (if he shares much about that time).

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I won this (although not technically a GA book).  I about broke the bank on it lol

dar7.227a.jpg

Yes, it'll probably end up costing you more to ship it than what the cost of the book went for.  :censored:

Does CC always ship their books by Fed Ex or do you have the option for snail mail on books such as these?  ???

53 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, it'll probably end up costing you more to ship it than what the cost of the book went for.  :censored:

Does CC always ship their books by Fed Ex or do you have the option for snail mail on books such as these?  ???

No idea. Maybe I will have to try and win another book to make shipping worth it. hm

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

No idea. Maybe I will have to try and win another book to make shipping worth it. hm

That's actually a good idea in order to keep your shipping charges down as low as possible relative to the cost of the actual books.  (thumbsu

I believe there's a Pep 22 out there calling for $244K or something like that which should give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of minimizing your shipping charges.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's actually a good idea in order to keep your shipping charges down as low as possible relative to the cost of the actual books.  (thumbsu

I believe there's a Pep 22 out there calling for $244K or something like that which should give you the biggest bang for your buck in terms of minimizing your shipping charges.  :gossip:  lol

Any interest in buying a slightly used left nut? :baiting:

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

News to me.  It was, I think, an extensive collection of high-grade books, so it's not clear why CGC would pull its recognition (if they have).  Maybe some info came to light that the backstory wasn't what we thought it was?

Adding to the confusion...cc calls this 9.0 planet 53 the Toledo copy but the slab does not... graded in 2007...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=727848