• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like we had all under estimated what this book was going to go for............especially me by a whole bunch.  :facepalm:

Now, it makes me wonder what the value of the Church Seven Seas 4 would be if it ever comes to market.  Especially since Chuckles had the SS 4 listed as a NM+ copy while the SS 6 was listed as only a NM copy in his MH catalogue.  hm  :flipbait:

53 minutes ago, comicjack said:

The SS 4 imho would be a 30k no problem at all 

It's possible. I used to want to upgrade my SS4, but with the kind of prices they're getting now, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

The one book I was intetested in was the Planet 58, but I'm scratching my head over the price. It's a pretty common issue that usually has nice colors and nice pages. Maybe someone thinks it can be pressed to a 9.6?(shrug)

14 minutes ago, tth2 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, being a long-term collector by nature and habit, once something falls into my collection, it seems to stay there forever.  :facepalm:

So you will continue to keep books you had no interest in in the first place, at the price of not getting the book that you had always wanted.  That makes zero sense to me, but okay.

Anyways, we know that you do sell books from time to time, since you've talked about slabbing books early in CGC's history and selling them in one of the earlier online comic auctions. 

I did like the entire small run of Seven Seas books, but probably just the 6 more so than the others.

Yes, I did slabbed some books way back when CGC first opened up for business, but that was really more just to sample some of their grading as opposed to actually needing to put them up for auction with Greg Manning for the money. 

Edited by lou_fine

With all this talk about the high prices for the Seven Seas 6 and Planet books, did it seem like the Pep 22 kind of missed everybody's initial high expectations?  Especially since it just kind of petered out as the auction for this book wound down and managed to pick up only about another $10K near the end to finished up at $252,100.   hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
3 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Wow, more amazing prices on GA.

I'm thinking I'd be way better off as a seller than as a buyer! :)

Probably not really if you take a look at the auction as a whole.

The problem is that on the boards we normally tend to focus only on the grand slams and the home runs.  Although there's probably a lot of doubles and triples also thrown in there, I bet you there's a lot of bunt singles and even strikeouts that we just tend to skip right over. 

For example, there are almost 2,000 lots in this auction this time.  Not too many unexpected grand slams like the Seven Seas 6 here, but I bet you there are a lot of the other non-key, non-classic cover, mid-run books that we just don't bother to talk about here.  hm

8 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

i'm not that crazy! Anyhow, I wouldn't have wanted to deprive @Sqeggs or @lou_fine of their chance to own that book!

I redirected to this, being totally unable to resist the colors:

pla1.1475a.jpg.69de350680a5d361d27f9a500d167f9c.jpg

I figured one of the Planet connoisseurs would grab this one.  Unbelievable colors on this copy, congrats!

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

With all this talk about the high prices for the Seven Seas 6 and Planet books, did it seem like the Pep 22 kind of missed everybody's initial high expectations?  Especially since it just kind of petered out as the auction for this book wound down and managed to pick up only about another $10K near the end to finished up at $252,100.   hm  (shrug)

It's a strange world we live in when someone can drop 250k on a comic book and we feel underwhelmed by it...but that is the state of the hobby now I guess heh.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The problem is that on the boards we normally tend to focus only on the grand slams and the home runs.

speaking of grand slams, was anyone following the millie the models? the millie 115 sold on heritage for $89 back in 2012, and sold for $776 today.  not a bad return in 5 years.

5 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Picked up a new Bible book last night in the CC auction. As such, I don't really expect this to get too many of your juices flowing, unless you like Vancouver copies and their glowing whiteness :cool: . This is my first Vancouver! :headbang:

picstoriesbiblent1_v_f.jpg

You know at least I'm going to like it :cloud9: I've got a 6.0 copy that will never hit a sales thread.... art's pretty decent inside too. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Picked up a new Bible book last night in the CC auction. As such, I don't really expect this to get too many of your juices flowing, unless you like Vancouver copies and their glowing whiteness :cool: . This is my first Vancouver! :headbang:

picstoriesbiblent1_v_f.jpg

Beauty!

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

speaking of grand slams, was anyone following the millie the models? the millie 115 sold on heritage for $89 back in 2012, and sold for $776 today.  not a bad return in 5 years.

I was rather surprised at how strong the sales were for those, starting to look like Archie books.

2 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

GA´   s have been selling for crazy prices since 2016 ...

:news:   Yes indeed, the GGA books and the romance books along with the Millie's and Kathy's in this particular auction along with similar girl titles have pretty much been on fire for the past couple of years ever since Bedrock and a few of the other boardies here have been going after them.  :flipbait:

:idea:  Maybe now we need to look for some sexy cowgirls or funny bunnies in contorted into provocative positions in order to revive the long dead western and funny animal genre and light a fire under them.  lol

14 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Especially if she's wearing black leather with high heels, I would assume!  :devil:

Lou -- you have an uncanny knack for these sorts of deductions!!!!

Or was it actually quite obvious? :hi:

Why, it was absolutely no problem at all.

You are most welcome and like you said, I always like to be upfront and state the obvious.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

I was rather surprised at how strong the sales were for those, starting to look like Archie books.

Is it just me or does it appear that the Archie books might be cooling off a bit from their past feverish heights?  hm  (shrug)

Especially considering the fact that I was able to pick one of them up in this auction here which normally never ever happens.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine