• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:news:   Yes indeed, the GGA books and the romance books along with the Millie's and Kathy's in this particular auction along with similar girl titles have pretty much been on fire for the past couple of years ever since Bedrock and a few of the other boardies here have been going after them.  :flipbait:

:idea:  Maybe now we need to look for some sexy cowgirls or funny bunnies in contorted into provocative positions in order to revive the long dead western and funny animal genre and light a fire under them.  lol

I am really concerned. People are paying crazy prices for low grades . I mean 2.0 , 1.5 etc , mid grades are becoming unatainable .... If this continues i will get purple slabs

13 hours ago, tth2 said:
15 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, being a long-term collector by nature and habit, once something falls into my collection, it seems to stay there forever.  :facepalm:

So you will continue to keep books you had no interest in in the first place, at the price of not getting the book that you had always wanted.  That makes zero sense to me, but okay.

Trying to bring logic and sound reasoning to the boards again? :taptaptap:

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:
13 hours ago, tth2 said:
16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, being a long-term collector by nature and habit, once something falls into my collection, it seems to stay there forever.  :facepalm:

So you will continue to keep books you had no interest in in the first place, at the price of not getting the book that you had always wanted.  That makes zero sense to me, but okay.

Trying to bring logic and sound reasoning to the boards again? :taptaptap:

I can give Tim 25,000 reasons why it does not make logical sense.  :)

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is it just me or does it appear that the Archie books might be cooling off a bit from their past feverish heights?  hm  (shrug)

Especially considering the fact that I was able to pick one of them up in this auction here which normally never ever happens.  :whatthe:

I didnt see the Archie action since I was on a plane at the time but in general they appear to still be strong for the 1-50 and it seems like Veronica outperforms Betty with the notable exception of #50. The Millie's were highly cover driven as well it seems.

2 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Picked up a new Bible book last night in the CC auction. As such, I don't really expect this to get too many of your juices flowing, unless you like Vancouver copies and their glowing whiteness :cool: . This is my first Vancouver! :headbang:

picstoriesbiblent1_v_f.jpg

First cover appearance of Jesus? :headbang: That probably deserved a label note.

Beautiful books so far, with that Planet 33 leading the way!  Was thinking about a move on it but too rich for my blood (and just missed it on the Bay last week when a pretty rough 2.0ish copy with holes punches almost reached $400, nearly doubling in price in the last 3 seconds).  And that Pictures Stories from the Bible is just lovely with White Pages.  Those Shadows are awesome as well!   I jumped on a low grade Mystic 2 and a More Fun 62 (following the above comment that Purple labels are the only thing making some of these books affordable,  although the work done wasn't too distracting, IMO), with that slide of death cover on the Mystic being one I've wanted for a long time.  Looking forward to adding the MF 62 to my group portrait. :)

more funs1.jpg

1 hour ago, mwotka said:

Beautiful books so far, with that Planet 33 leading the way!  Was thinking about a move on it but too rich for my blood (and just missed it on the Bay last week when a pretty rough 2.0ish copy with holes punches almost reached $400, nearly doubling in price in the last 3 seconds).  And that Pictures Stories from the Bible is just lovely with White Pages.  Those Shadows are awesome as well!   I jumped on a low grade Mystic 2 and a More Fun 62 (following the above comment that Purple labels are the only thing making some of these books affordable,  although the work done wasn't too distracting, IMO), with that slide of death cover on the Mystic being one I've wanted for a long time.  Looking forward to adding the MF 62 to my group portrait. :)

more funs1.jpg

That's a fantastic spread!! You should also post this on the Group Shot thread. (And thx for the Planet 33 shout-out :wink:)

1 hour ago, RickHigh said:

Love those More Fun!! (worship) That is a beautiful spread.

I battled Zolnerwich in what seemed like an eternity last night for the Planet #33. I finally had to give in, but ended up getting these "sloppy seconds", so I am not too bummed.

pla1.1469a.jpg

pla1.1507a.jpg

Planet 5.5w.jpg

Battle-wearied though I am from our epic clash over Planet 33, I can unequivocally say that those "sloppy seconds" are top shelf of the comic shelf books! :applause: Colors and sheen on all 3 of the books are spectacular. I'd guess these and the 33 all came from the same consigner who has a keen eye for Planets with superior color strikes.