• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
5 5

505 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Anyone else having a problem with Comic Link? I put in a bid for $2k and then lost because my "bid must be higher than current bid" but the auction ended at $1877...haven't seen that before.

.....yes. It happens when the top bidder's max bid exceeds your max bid by MORE than the required increment..... probably $ 100 in this case, but not sure of the details. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:
10 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

GA´   s have been selling for crazy prices since 2016 ...

Easy way to turn this trend around is for me to start selling stuff. Prices would definitely hit an all time low on anything I tried to sell. 

:popcorn::wishluck:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I can give Tim 25,000 reasons why it does not make logical sense.  :)

If you sold your other Seven Seas, you would then have more than 25,000 reasons why it makes perfectly good sense.

Bubbles only hurt people who pay cash for an inflated asset.  If you acquire an inflated asset with an equally inflated asset, it's a zero sum game.   

7 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

The Millie's were highly cover driven as well it seems.

I think it's more been driven by realization of how scarce these non-mainstream books from the early 1960s are in ultra-HG.  If you look at the census, there is nothing even close to the 3 9.4 Millies that were in this auction.

Of course, it's possible that there aren't many high grade copies in the census because an $89 book isn't worth slabbing, so maybe more will come out of the woodworks now.  But I wouldn't bet on it. 

21 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

.....yes. It happens when the top bidder's max bid exceeds your max bid by MORE than the required increment..... probably $ 100 in this case, but not sure of the details. GOD BLESS...

Yes...but if his bid was higher than mine ( which was $2k ), how could the auction end at $1877? Naturally it would go to my max bid of $2k had I not met the other bidders highest bid...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Yes...but if his bid was higher than mine ( which was $2k ), how could the auction end at $1877? Naturally it would go to my max bid of $2k had I not met the other bidders highest bid...

His max bid may have also been 2000 ...... GOD BLESS...

Just now, jimjum12 said:

His max bid may have also been 2000 ...... GOD BLESS...

Yes but wouldn't that make the auction go to $2k? That's how every other auction I've ever been a part of goes down...doesn't make much sense if two bidders are willing to pay at minimum $2k and the auctioneer decides to call it at $1877.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Yes but wouldn't that make the auction go to $2k? That's how every other auction I've ever been a part of goes down...doesn't make much sense if two bidders are willing to pay at minimum $2k and the auctioneer decides to call it at $1877.

Possible that your bid was rejected for not being a full increment above the current price?  In that case your $2K bid wouldn't have counted.

I've had things like that happen at the end of CLink auctions when my bid that was more than an increment above the high bid at the time I placed the bid but was rejected because another bid raised the high bid before my bid was received. 

Edited by Sqeggs

Just now, Mr.Illmannered said:

If you don't outbid him on Clink the bid becomes invalid..... as if it didn't occur. This must have happened in the closing seconds, otherwise you would have been prompted to raise the bid. A trick I use is to avoid round numbers for my max bid.... for example, if his max was 2000 and you had bid 2012,  it likely would have registered. GOD BLESS....

51 minutes ago, fleepunyhumans said:

Superman went cold.  A cool Hitler cover (#17) in high grade went for only $10k.  That's a $15k book.  Wish I hadn't already shot my wad that last coupla nights!!

IMG_0735.JPG

Does seem like a good deal, although GPA records a 7.5 selling for $8,365 last November.

8 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

If you don't outbid him on Clink the bid becomes invalid..... as if it didn't occur. This must have happened in the closing seconds, otherwise you would have been prompted to raise the bid. A trick I use is to avoid round numbers for my max bid.... for example, if his max was 2000 and you had bid 2012,  it likely would have registered. GOD BLESS....

I do that. I should have mentioned my actual bid on that one was 2066 but I was typing quickly on my phone earlier. I always end in weird multiples of 6. I'm simply lost on this one. Thanks for your responses.

Edited by Mr.Illmannered

6 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:
12 minutes ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

Right.  When multiple snipes come in, you can see these types of seemingly anomalous results.

1 hour ago, Mr.Illmannered said:

I do that. I should have mentioned my actual bid on that one was 2066 but I was typing quickly on my phone earlier. I always end in weird multiples of 6. I'm simply lost on this one. Thanks for your responses.

The bid would show your 2066 unless you did not get the bid in before it ended ? or it rejected your bid for some reason like it thought you put in 20.66 other wise I would call them and say what's up. If the book was at 1877 than 1977 would have been the next bid I would think.

Edited by woowoo

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

The bid would show your 2066 unless you did not get the bid in before it ended ? or it rejected your bid for some reason like it thought you put in 20.66 other wise I would call them and say what's up. If the book was at 1877 than 1977 would have been the next bid I would think.

Clink is very customer oriented..... that's exactly what I would do.... I'd be curious to learn the actual explanation, as that has happened to me several times as well... GOD BLESS...

53 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Clink is very customer oriented..... that's exactly what I would do.... I'd be curious to learn the actual explanation, as that has happened to me several times as well... GOD BLESS...

9 hours ago, woowoo said:

I had a similar thing happen to me at Heritage back when a few thousand bucks could still buy a low grade More Fun 73.  I had bid more than the gavel price and couldn't understand what happened. When I called up for an explanation, the higher-ups simply said "Tough".  They were really about that gentle and caring with their response.  Pissed me off.  But damn it I still do business with the wankers.