A lot of decent stuff coming on the Auction block
6 6

504 posts in this topic

Crowzilla   
  • 2,381 posts
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Not much.  Lots of local interest in Chinese and Japanese comics, but very little interest in American comics, even with the massive popularity of superhero movies

That can't be correct. Mitch tells us all the time that it's the Hong Kong billionaires who are rushing to buy these books because of the massive popularity of superhero movies (except for Wonder Woman of course, and that is if they can pry them away from the hands of the Russian oligarchs).

batman_fan   
  • 10,475 posts
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Surprisingly, this lack of respect also used to apply to the Wonder Woman books before they finally managed to get some heat from the movie and related media hype that started up a few years ago.  In a way though, they still seemingly don't get a ton of respect since the majority of their non-key, non-classic cover books still barely goes for guide, and in some cases sell only at a big discount to guide, as evident to many of the WW lots in this just completed CC auction.  Like everything else in this supposedly hot marketplace, everybody seems to be after only the keys and classic covers with not too much love for the others.  hm

+1

Most definitely as it's already difficult enough to jump back and forth between the CC auctions that are supposedly ending and then "not ending" due to their continuing 3-minute extensions.  And now you are also asking us to open up additional windows to keep track of auctions ending on CL at the same time.  :screwy:

If I was a consignor in this auction and the book which I had consigned sold for quite a bit below recent market prices, I would definitely be a bit perturbed with the situation here.  :censored:  :mad:

Worlds Finest 3 is getting some serious respect these days. 

tth2   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 45,800 posts
6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Not much.  Lots of local interest in Chinese and Japanese comics, but very little interest in American comics, even with the massive popularity of superhero movies

That can't be correct. Mitch tells us all the time that it's the Hong Kong billionaires who are rushing to buy these books because of the massive popularity of superhero movies (except for Wonder Woman of course, and that is if they can pry them away from the hands of the Russian oligarchs).

lol 

Having worked for several HK billionaires in my time, I can tell you that the thing they really like to collect, more than anything else, is more money.  You have the odd one here and there like Joseph Lau who acquired some major art pieces, but many can be summed up in a conversation that I had with one 10 odd years ago: "Art?  I know nothing about art.  What I know is property and making money.  I'm good at property and I'm good at making money. I like to own property and I like to make money."  

Ironically, one of the guys I worked for is nicknamed "Superman" in the local media.  But I can just imagine his reaction if I'd said "Here's an American comic book from 1938 in a plastic case that's worth millions of dollars, this is where you should put your money.  Look, it's got Superman on the cover, it's his first appearance!"  The only question would be how far his Gurkha bodyguards would throw me down the street. 

G.A.tor   
  • 56,845 posts
4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Worlds Finest 3 is getting some serious respect these days. 

as are higher grade 1950's issues...40-80 sell at big premiums to guide...a cgc 6.5 #62 just finished at $1444 at clink...its about $300 in guide, so that went 4.5x guide