• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Image Comics Blind Box
1 1

186 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, sirwesker said:

So here's a question for people like me with collecting ocd:

If the blank cover variant is identical to the original art sketch variants, and the original art isn't numbered in any way, then is it really a unique variant? Once the artist starts doing sketches on the blank covers at conventions, won't it be impossible to know which original art ones were part of the blind boxes in the first place? 

At least one artist number theirs.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

At least one artist number theirs.

Yeah, I saw that Jonathan Luna was numbering them for Eternal Empire. But I haven't seen numbers on any of the others. I was hoping they would all be numbered. 

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Maybe on the back?

Maybe, but I've seen some of the back and no numbers there either. 

I've also seen very few of the original arts listed for sale, compared to everything else. I figured these would all be listed by people looking to make some quick and easy money. But I think so far I've seen only 1 or 2 of most series, and only 4 at the most of any given series. I wonder if a lot are still hiding in unopened boxes people are trying to sell. 

So what's the consensus, is it worth getting a box now or just get the individual comics separately?

Sales on the individual comics look to be steep too depending on which ones. I'm torn. Need some help..

15 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

So what's the consensus, is it worth getting a box now or just get the individual comics separately?

Sales on the individual comics look to be steep too depending on which ones. I'm torn. Need some help..

Do you want the individual for your PC? Regular covers don't seem to be selling for much and they will go down.

19 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Hard to say. The values on the less rare comics will come down in terms of online sales. The thing to remember is that there are a little under 2,000 of each of the regular color variants. That itself may be as many as a tenth to half of how many regular issues of that comic are sold every month. So there may be more variants of some series than the market can handle. 

But the rarity increases significantly from there. The B&W variants only have about 500 of each series. The color virgin variants only about 300. The B&W virgin variants only about 100. The blank covers only 50, and the sketches only 25. 

I'm thinking the only ones that are worth pursuing individually are the virgin variants and blanks. Those are the ones that may be truly too limited to obtain after collectors clear them out. But again, it depends on what series you're collecting. A comic that regularly sells 8,000 to 15,000 issues a month will be much more collectible because there are way more people out there buying it. But a series that only sells 3,000 to 5,000, and on the verge of cancellation, probably won't be difficult to find at all. 

As a final thought, I will note that I've been watching ebay the past few days and generally the rarest stuff is still WAY over priced. If you search Image blind box on ebay you'll get nearly 1,200 active listings. And you'll find less than 300 sold listings. Prices will come down when people aren't able to sell things after a week or two. But where will that price even out? Who knows. The original art is what I'm most curious about. Some of the art is great from unpopular comics. Some of the popular comics have really bad original art pieces. So prices will probably end up all over the place. 

38 minutes ago, sirwesker said:

Hard to say. The values on the less rare comics will come down in terms of online sales. The thing to remember is that there are a little under 2,000 of each of the regular color variants. That itself may be as many as a tenth to half of how many regular issues of that comic are sold every month. So there may be more variants of some series than the market can handle. 

But the rarity increases significantly from there. The B&W variants only have about 500 of each series. The color virgin variants only about 300. The B&W virgin variants only about 100. The blank covers only 50, and the sketches only 25. 

I'm thinking the only ones that are worth pursuing individually are the virgin variants and blanks. Those are the ones that may be truly too limited to obtain after collectors clear them out. But again, it depends on what series you're collecting. A comic that regularly sells 8,000 to 15,000 issues a month will be much more collectible because there are way more people out there buying it. But a series that only sells 3,000 to 5,000, and on the verge of cancellation, probably won't be difficult to find at all. 

As a final thought, I will note that I've been watching ebay the past few days and generally the rarest stuff is still WAY over priced. If you search Image blind box on ebay you'll get nearly 1,200 active listings. And you'll find less than 300 sold listings. Prices will come down when people aren't able to sell things after a week or two. But where will that price even out? Who knows. The original art is what I'm most curious about. Some of the art is great from unpopular comics. Some of the popular comics have really bad original art pieces. So prices will probably end up all over the place. 

Good point. There's really only one series I'm looking for and that's redneck and of course the here's Negan. All others I'm not too into. So if I were to get a box for say $300, and end up with a box with nothing that I'm interested in, then I'd think it would have been a waste.

Of course I could sell the others but don't think I'd recup what I spent. Oh the decisions of collecting.

2 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Sorry by hardcover I meant an actual comic I can hold versus a digital copy.

Still not sure what you're talking about. I didn't make any reference to digital. OH, hahah.

PC = Personal Collection, not a computer.

15 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Good point. There's really only one series I'm looking for and that's redneck and of course the here's Negan. All others I'm not too into. So if I were to get a box for say $300, and end up with a box with nothing that I'm interested in, then I'd think it would have been a waste.

Of course I could sell the others but don't think I'd recup what I spent. Oh the decisions of collecting.

I got a box from my LCS for 250. I am collecting Curse Words and Extremity and was hoping to luck into pulling some rare ones of those, or at least flip what I did get to buy those individually.

I ended up getting 12 regular color variants and 13 blank covers, which was super odd. No Extremity at all. I got a Curse Words color and a Curse Words blank. That's unfortunately all I'm ending up keeping. Luckily those blanks were worth enough to easily recoup my money and be able to buy some individuals of what I wanted. But I have seen some boxes where people only get the regular and B&W variants. That wouldn't be worth the cost. Of course if you pulled one original piece of art or a Here's Negan, then that's worth it all by itself. 

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

No problem. Like I said, they typically come down in price once the hype has died down.

Yeah, I would guess for the more popular series, the prices will settle around this:

Regular color variants: 5 - 10

Regular B&W variants: 10 - 15

Virgin color variants: 20 - 30

Virgin B&W variants: 30 - 60

Blanks - who knows