• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marville: The Worst Comic Book EVER

14 posts in this topic

Being a Greg Horn fan, I confess that I picked up the first six issues of "Marville" for the wonderful eye-candy covers. However, I actually got around to reading #1-5 over the weekend and issue #6 today. This is the worst comic series I have EVER read.

The series was billed as a kind of satire on the comic book industry, which issue #1 and #2 kind of were (though they were unbelievably terribly written). Issues #3-5 took a strange turn, providing a showcase for Bill Jemas to present his theories on God, the origin and meaning of life, evolution, and cultural anthropology, among other things. These issues were nothing more than a Bill Jemas ego-trip and, after loosely sticking with the satire premise for 2 issues, represent the biggest bait-and-switch scam in comics history. I'm sure nobody bought Marville expecting or wanting to see Bill Jemas try and prove the existence of God and otherwise try to convince the comic-reading public that he is not the insufficiently_thoughtful_person he appears to be.

The latest issue, #6, is a complete waste of money. It basically does nothing more than recap issues #1-5 for 21 pages and, on page 22, Bill Jemas says all sorts of stupid and condescending things about other comic book publishers while announcing Marvel's plans to re-launch the Epic Comics line. Here are a couple of choice quotes from that page:

"Marville does not have the stuff that makes for top-selling comics, but it does explore the origin and meaning of life, so I thought it was worth a six-issue series. And, because I'm president of Marvel, I could ignore the bean counters and publish Marville without regard for minimum sales projections and margin requirements. But that's just me."

"You can try AOL Comics, but...they do tend to avoid publishing anything that actually says anything."

I lost whatever little respect I had for Jemas after reading this self-indulgent tripe known as "Marville". I am embarrassed for Marvel that their half-wit leader forced them to publish this garbage. I'm just thankful that I know of no other person besides myself that has actually purchased and read this series.

Gene

Always wondered how it was?

Thanks for the info. Was there any indication from Marvel from the beginning it would only be a mini-series?

I wonder if anyone bought 100 copies of this series hoping for it to become another Ultimate Spiderman?

I avoided this one, but I also avoided Ultimate Spiderman. So, I guess you win some, you lose some.

Oh, did anyone out there like this series?

Wasn't this part of the "Marvel Challenge" that Peter David won? I remember reading about it somewhere, and David was quoted as saying that it wasn't so much a pro-David win, as an Anti-Jemas movement. grin.gif

I think we all know what Jemas is about (short-term hype, then move up) so why repeat it.

Was there any indication from Marvel from the beginning it would only be a mini-series?

Yes - even on issue #1, it was labeled "1 of 6". However, they are turning it into an unlimited series...#7 is coming out next month. That issue is supposed to be a special "how to apply for Epic Comics if you are a comics creator" issue (Jemas explicitly states that none of the regular characters appear in the book), so I may have to actually pick it up for curiosity value.

Oh, did anyone out there like this series?

I really don't think that would be possible... smirk.gif

Gene

Joe;

That is the absolute coolest dance animation on the net!!!! Awesome! I don't know where you got that, but I've shown it to my kids, my wife and because I have absolutely no life...I've sat here and watched it for five minutes. It's better than "Chicago"!!!

Faster, Kato

David Skelton

PS...I agree that Marville is the worst ever...except those are some damn fine covers. Yowsa...

Ahhh, so you were fooled by the cool Greg Horn covers. That trick gets em everytime.

Yes, it is quite an effective hook indeed...they got me on Elektra through Horn's covers as well! I have a bad feeling that I'll also be enduring whatever awful storyline they concoct for the upcoming White Queen mini-series because of Greg's covers...sigh.

Gene

I'm sorry you wasted you money on Marville.....saw a preview on Marvels page and decided right then and there it was just a big editoral comic.....no thanks....."I Decided" it sucks