• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books coming back with a different grade . .

14 posts in this topic

Because of my schedule I had to submit a book that I owned that had a CGC 9.4 grade in for a CGC private signing at a recent con.  I got the book back today and it came back a 9.0.  I just find this odd as they are the ones who cracked the slabbed and handled it before it being regraded.  I had never had this happen so was curious if this was a common occurrence of just a fluke.

Edited by SSkufan

It's a risk you always run cracking a book out. Getting is signed adds an additional step/steps where additional damage can occur. No grade is guaranteed to stay the same once it is out of the plastic tomb.

1 hour ago, SSkufan said:

Because of my schedule I had to submit a book that I owned that had a CGC 9.4 grade in for a CGC private signing at a recent con.  I got the book back today and it came back a 9.0.  I just find this odd as they are the ones who cracked the slabbed and handled it before it being regraded.  I had never had this happen so was curious if this was a common occurrence of just a fluke.

Ive had it go both ways before. I dont think Ive ever had it go down more than one grade though. But, depending on the value of the book in cost or just to you, next time, maybe submit with pre-screening to CCS first. That way, they can pre-screen it to see if pressing could help the grade. Of course, this would be on a case by case basis for the book. Some books you might not want to press, but most of the time, you could do this. Usually when I do this now, it comes back with the best grade possible.

Also, if I feel like they were harsh and it might grade better next time, if I want another signature, Ill get it signed again by someone else and redo the process (if I didn't get it pressed before lll press this time). I just did this with Daredevil 158. It came back a 7.5, but it needs a press and I think can go up a couple grades after that. Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

17 hours ago, SSkufan said:

I just sent in a bunch of old blue and red labels (first generation) to be regarded. I was very surprised by the results. They were all pressed before regrading and the results were:

5 books stayed the same graded

2 books dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.0

1 book dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.2

1 book dropped from a 7.5 to a 7.0

2 books went up from a 9.4 to a 9.8

1 book went up from a 9.0 to a 9.2

All of the books got a bump up on page quality. Overall the two books that were bumped up to a 9.8 saved my butt. If not for these I would have been out money. In the long run I think this "old label undergraded rumor" is just that, a rumor.

You can explain the situation to CGC and have them review the grade of the book. I had this done too a handful of books that went down in grade and a good amount of them were brought back up to the grade I sent them in as.

Grading is an educated opinion, not an exact science, even when standards are agreed upon. Every book has a 2 or 3 grade range, even when graded by those operating on the same standards, and given the passage of time, the same person. Take 20 raw book in your collection, grade them,  put the grades where you won't look at them, and a year later grade the same twenty books again. Unless you have an exceptional memory, it's likely that more than a couple will change grades. 

As for PQ - I've noticed an inconsistency as far as CGC is concerned, one would think that would be easier to measure than grade, but it doesn't seem to be the case. 

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

It also depends when books were graded. A 9.4 in a loose grading period will ikely be a 9.0/9.2 in a tighter cycle, which they are in now. 

Hence why I haven't subbed anything in a while.  Too tight is bad. Just like too loose?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, guldanaaron1 said:

I just sent in a bunch of old blue and red labels (first generation) to be regarded. I was very surprised by the results. They were all pressed before regrading and the results were:

5 books stayed the same graded

2 books dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.0

1 book dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.2

1 book dropped from a 7.5 to a 7.0

2 books went up from a 9.4 to a 9.8

1 book went up from a 9.0 to a 9.2

All of the books got a bump up on page quality. Overall the two books that were bumped up to a 9.8 saved my butt. If not for these I would have been out money. In the long run I think this "old label undergraded rumor" is just that, a rumor.

You can explain the situation to CGC and have them review the grade of the book. I had this done too a handful of books that went down in grade and a good amount of them were brought back up to the grade I sent them in as.

Thanks for the info.  So you took 12 old label and red label books (which are considered very tightly graded) and had them pressed and more went down compared to going up.  From my own experience that makes sense because CGC is as tight as they ever have been. 

Edited by 1Cool

45 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the info.  So you took 12 old label and red label books (which are considered very tightly graded) and had them pressed and more went down compared to going up.  From my own experience that makes sense because CGC is as tight as they ever have been. 

Yes sir! I was pretty surprised considering you hear all the rumors about the old labels being tight. Maybe the 2017 labels will be the next "old Label rumor crazy" lol.

I think it’s more of a $$$ in their eyes. Supposedly they hired a bunch more people to speed up the grading process but the last 5 books I have turned In all received subpar grades 2 books were exclusive variants that were out of a run of 300 books and I’ve yet to see higher than a 9.4 these books never out of Mylar from manufacturer only handled by CGC 

8 minutes ago, Navymr said:

I think it’s more of a $$$ in their eyes. Supposedly they hired a bunch more people to speed up the grading process but the last 5 books I have turned In all received subpar grades 2 books were exclusive variants that were out of a run of 300 books and I’ve yet to see higher than a 9.4 these books never out of Mylar from manufacturer only handled by CGC 

First off, I've received some of these exclusive variants in the manufacturer Mylar and they often have a spine crease and/or blunted corners. There is no guarantee they are 9.8's as shipped .Why do you imply it was the fault of CGC handling ? Why is it $$$ in their eyes? Perhaps it's more like spine crease in their eyes ? Why do you feel entitled to get 9.8's just because the book came straight from the manufacturer ? Perhaps you need to learn how to grade and inspect the book before submitting it.

I emply it’s $$$ because of the recent increase in hiring just to turn a book quicker. Quicker turn time does not equal quality if the inspector is not proficient. And small runs absolutely mean better quality books. Coffin books are one of the of the few that frequently turn 10.0’s. One of my books was blatantly autographed across the cover and was returned as a universal grade so you tell me it was “inspected” by 2 graders. I call BS not to mention it was returned as a 9.0. And not to mention the 9.4 I submitted was a 20 year old dollar bin book with severe wear and dog eared rear cover. So again you tell me there is any quality control 

1 hour ago, Navymr said:

I emply it’s $$$ because of the recent increase in hiring just to turn a book quicker. Quicker turn time does not equal quality if the inspector is not proficient. And small runs absolutely mean better quality books. Coffin books are one of the of the few that frequently turn 10.0’s. One of my books was blatantly autographed across the cover and was returned as a universal grade so you tell me it was “inspected” by 2 graders. I call BS not to mention it was returned as a 9.0. And not to mention the 9.4 I submitted was a 20 year old dollar bin book with severe wear and dog eared rear cover. So again you tell me there is any quality control 

Have you had any good experiences with your submissions ? Regarding the hiring of more graders I believe most would say that's a good thing. Turn around times were bad, everyone here was complaining, begging them to hire more employees. Now you are saying a quicker turnaround time is bad ? I'm sorry but I do think you are in the minority on this point. Pardon me for saying this but I've read some of your other posts and you have a really bad attitude, everything is negative, everybody is screwing you. Perhaps you should reflect upon this.

I don't submit much, but did three GA books last summer, one with a press. All three came back my projected grade, ranging from 3.0-5.5. Sure, it's nice to get a better grade than expected, and disappointing to do worse, but I'm most gratified when my grade and CGC's line up, especially as I've been know to criticize individual books as either under or over graded.