• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there pence titles for GA Books?
2 2

42 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

That is what Pence copies are :makepoint:

This is a dead thread from 4 years ago where someone asked a question, the answer to that is no, the thread ended and should stay ended.

Pence copies are American comics, British comics are just that, British comics, to post random foreign comics with pence prices on them in this thread is wrong and can lead to confusion.

If you wish to start a thread say titled "Foreign comics of the GA" we can all post anything you like.

I disagree.  I see that you have an agenda in attempting to define "pence copies" (which is a pretty fun collecting set too - I seek a few of those).

Feel free to correct me, but I see your definition as US comics (created AND printed in the US) that are exported to countries that use Pence (did copies of FF1 9d ever get distributed in Australia?).  I see this thread as any US comic that had an authorized copyright for printing in other countries (NOT necessarily exporting physical comics).  It's still the same US comic book, but printed in a different location.

There are British comics.  I would argue that the examples being posted should not be designated "British Comics".  British Comics should be comics created and published in the UK (they can also allow foreign publishers copyright, but I'm not aware of any examples).  The same with Australian Comics (created and printed in Australia).

The US is not the only country that creates comic books.  Your terminology is too generalized and you need to be more specific.  :slapfight:

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

I disagree.  I see that you have an agenda in attempting to define "pence copies" (which is a pretty fun collecting set too - I seek a few of those).

Feel free to correct me, but I see your definition as US comics (created AND printed in the US) that are exported to countries that use Pence (did copies of FF1 9d ever get distributed in Australia?).  I see this thread as any US comic that had an authorized copyright for printing in other countries (NOT necessarily exporting physical comics).  It's still the same US comic book, but printed in a different location.

There are British comics.  I would argue that the examples being posted should not be designated "British Comics".  British Comics should be comics created and published in the UK (they can also allow foreign publishers copyright, but I'm not aware of any examples).  The same with Australian Comics (created and printed in Australia).

The US is not the only country that creates comic books.  Your terminology is too generalized and you need to be more specific.  :slapfight:

Well whatever, this is a 4 year old thread resurrected incorrectly. Pence copies are what they are ( US comics created for the UK ) and thats it, the first copies were in 1959, I suggest you read some threads by Marwood, these were created to find answers, dispel some myths and try to help those not in the know understand the differences, I think you are one of these people.

Posting in this thread undermines a lot of that work.

However you can post what you like, anywhere you like.

For what its worth, I do not have an agenda, I collect American comics, I do not collect British comics, I do not sell anything, I care nothing for the values, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything except the truth.

I would have posted in a thread titled as I suggested and I suppose a lot of other would have too, but British and foreign comics do not fit in this thread title as they are not Pence copies even though the price of them is in Pence currency, the pence currency does not define them and I think thats where you are going wrong.

Here are 3 copies of Avengers #1

The first one in a Pence copy, the second is a cents copy ( both exactly the same book except for the price variant)

The third is a British comic, pence priced as that is the currency in the UK but it is not a Pence copy.

I hope this helps you to see the difference but either way I will not post again in this thread.

Carry on.

01.thumb.jpg.369353249889554cb51cdc086d938b39.jpg

Screenshot_1.png.833f45f9fd6629d40a7642d94329e962.png

P5250008.thumb.JPG.1c1c671e0b0f300939ef589d506e87dc.JPG