• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another thread about CGC vs. those other guys...
1 1

55 posts in this topic

and I think we all know the company to which I am referring.

Anyway, out of sheer curiosity and with no intentions to buy, I've been watching the price of a particularly "hot" modern comic variant on eBay. To cut to the chase, both examples were graded at 9.8 - one from CGC and one from the other guys. The CGC comic sold for literally double the price. Both comics were sold in "no-reserve" auctions.

I realize this is a very limited amount of data, but I tend to casually notice that CGC books are going for more money than their competition. As a CGC collector, this is good news, of course. lol

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this.

I can't stand the competition's label. I can't speak for the quality of the cases, but I really like the new design and the labels look a lot more professional and are more aesthetically pleasing. I trust the head guy over there, but I just can't get into his new company.

I swear to all higher powers that I'm not a shill for the CGC. It's not a perfect operation, but I'm a big fan. That much I will admit.

I think the market is beginning to show that slab dealers are starting to feel the same way. Who would ever want to lose that kind of money?

Or maybe it's just a regular fluctuation. People always pay a wild variety of prices when the latest variant first drops. I'll keep an eye out just to see.

Thoughts? Let's try not to poof! the thread. lol

hm its been a long time since I've posted in CG.

That 'other company' is legitimate competition for CGC and a good thing for all of us that buy and sell comics, but especially great for the Hobby as a whole.  I submit comics to BOTH companies; CGC has a great product and that 'other company" has a great product.  I have always cautioned using specifics to generalize, one sale here or there is not a benchmark for anything per se, there are too many variables.  Even my own sample size is not sufficient; probably 100 CGC slab sales and 30 other company slab sales.  However, I will tell you that the curve is going up and my last dozen sales are consistent with or exceeding GPA.  The sales figures on clink are very stable as are other houses from the books I have bid on.  Even though it may be through attrition, or not by their own design, the other company will make CGC's product better FOR US - just in terms of acting as a check and balance (how much longer does it take them to swap out the 3rd generation holder I wonder if they are still in a monopolistic environment?) I wonder how much longer I will have to pay for graders notes at CGC given the free bar code technology in use by the other company?

A certain someone at the 'other company' always said legit competition would come and it would be good for the hobby.  A bit of irony that he is leading it but I couldn't agree more with the latter part, I think certification is reaching a new high bar, in terms of the holder and the overall product choices we have today.

2c

For people who care about buying the book and not the case, there's nothing wrong with the other guy's grading or resto check. If I'm buying a book for my personal collection I'm buying whichever is the better deal. If I'm selling a book and want it graded first, it goes to CGC

I remember before they started up, so many folks on here thought it wasn't even remotely possible for another grading company to be successful. Times change and it's better for collectors. 

18 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Not a CGC shill either but,.......

Never once have seen a comic i was interested in from the other company, in fact i immediately pass them by on eBay and the usual auction sights

That seems sort of short sighted. (shrug) 

8 hours ago, newshane said:

and I think we all know the company to which I am referring.

Anyway, out of sheer curiosity and with no intentions to buy, I've been watching the price of a particularly "hot" modern comic variant on eBay. To cut to the chase, both examples were graded at 9.8 - one from CGC and one from the other guys. The CGC comic sold for literally double the price. Both comics were sold in "no-reserve" auctions.

I realize this is a very limited amount of data, but I tend to casually notice that CGC books are going for more money than their competition. As a CGC collector, this is good news, of course. lol

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this.

I can't stand the competition's label. I can't speak for the quality of the cases, but I really like the new design and the labels look a lot more professional and are more aesthetically pleasing. I trust the head guy over there, but I just can't get into his new company.

I swear to all higher powers that I'm not a shill for the CGC. It's not a perfect operation, but I'm a big fan. That much I will admit.

I think the market is beginning to show that slab dealers are starting to feel the same way. Who would ever want to lose that kind of money?

Or maybe it's just a regular fluctuation. People always pay a wild variety of prices when the latest variant first drops. I'll keep an eye out just to see.

Thoughts? Let's try not to poof! the thread. lol

You're not a CGC shill but when there was a problem with the CGC case last summer you stuck your head in the sand and said everything was all right.

You start a thread about the competition knowing it's frowned upon and then ask the thread not to go poof.

You have a sample size of two books to make a comparison and base your argument on one selling cheaper.

Am I missing something?

This is why we can't have nice things.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

Buy sheep and sell deer. Rinse and repeat.

Pretty much. lol

12 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Voldemort slabs are really tough to open. I often avoid them if it's something I want to crack out.

The new CGC slabs are extremely difficult to open. I know this from experience and I've heard this from many people.

And the slabs still don't stack properly. I was looking at a stack of books in Heroes two weeks ago and they were sliding all over the place.

Folks...if you read my post...I admit that I was working with a small sample size and that there could be other factors involved.

Also, I still hate the boards. Not as much as I used to...but yeah.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Suppose the other had sold for more? Would we be reading about it from you?

Buy sheep and sell deer. Rinse and repeat.

Yes you would be reading about it, because as a CGC collector that would be a concern for me.

Also, yes, I did like the now-discountinued slabs at first. I can admit that I was wrong, but so were a lot of people.

This thread isn't about me. I started it to initiate a conversation about the price differences seen in the market between books slabbed by CGC and their competitors. I admitted that I'm working with a small sample size. I'd simply like to know what some of the bigger dealers/collectors are seeing out there in the real world.

I don't want the thread to go POOF because I know this conversation can quickly spiral off-topic and out of control...and it looks like were already starting to float in that direction (see the post above).

17 minutes ago, AllOverDejaVuAgain said:

That's because you're one of the biggest tards on this board. The only person stupider than you would have to be the person who follows your advice. 

Frank is that you again? lol

In the fairness of not cherry picking evidence.  I saw these end 24 hours apart a few days ago but wasn't going to bring it up.  
A 9.0 selling for double a CGC 9.2 :popcorn: 
I think the point is, you can't really draw conclusions because there are too many factors.  I was able to find both of these books quite easily but perhaps based on the search terms some people use it made one book more visible than the other.

oTemWJu.jpg

9 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

In the fairness of not cherry picking evidence.  I saw these end 24 hours apart a few days ago but wasn't going to bring it up.  
A 9.0 selling for double a CGC 9.2 :popcorn: 
I think the point is, you can't really draw conclusions because there are too many factors.  I was able to find both of these books quite easily but perhaps based on the search terms some people use it made one book more visible than the other.

oTemWJu.jpg

Maybe they are hoping a 9.2 will show up per the listing title and not the 9.0 pictured? :taptaptap:

That's the "Spider-man listed in title" factor, it has nothing to do with the slabs.  :whatev:
He learned the error of his ways a couple weeks ago when leaving out "Spider-man" and going with "white pages" :nyah:

ds 2 cbcs.png

Edited by bababooey

Nothing is a hard fast rule but I find the other guys typically go for about 10% less then CGC with most keys books (but to be fair PGX slabs seem to do alright with hot keys).  Non-key books like that DS 2 usually gets much better results in the CGC case especially when it come to 9.8 copies.  Seems to me some of the dealers I've talked to have tried out the other guys since their grading has been a bit looser then the current CGC grading but I've only talked to a handful of the small dealers at several Cons so my sample size is not huge.  I much prefer the CGC label but the actual cases seem similar enough that I don't care one way or the other.  When the other guys go head to head vs CGC in the ComicLink auctions the CGC case almost always goes for at least 10% more from what I've seen.