• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just another thread about CGC vs. those other guys...
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, newshane said:

Folks...if you read my post...I admit that I was working with a small sample size and that there could be other factors involved.

Also, I still hate the boards. Not as much as I used to...but yeah.

I used to hate the new boards. I still do, but I used to, too. 

14 hours ago, mschmidt said:

The Voldemort books are super easy to crack - just grab a bottle opener or multi-tool that has a tabbed end and you can pop the little hinges right off.

It's actually a bit scary just how easy the Voldemort case comes apart - if you're careful, you can easily pop the top, slide the book out, swap it with another book, and then simply tap the top part back in place without there being any trace of your nefarious activities.

Anyway, I've used a tool like this to crack a bunch of their slabs - it works well for the new CGC cases too:

bottle-opener.jpg

Thanks, I just ordered one from Amazon.

I like both companies, about two years ago I had a ASM 300 9.4 with the other company, there was a CGC one in comiclink at the same time as well, I think the CGC sold for about $30 more, so not too far off, I think it really just depends on the comic. 

Also remember CGC has had about a 13 year head start on the other guys ;-) and not all ebay buyers will know that the guy in the other company was once the head grader at CGC :-)

On 6/28/2017 at 8:12 PM, newshane said:

and I think we all know the company to which I am referring.

Anyway, out of sheer curiosity and with no intentions to buy, I've been watching the price of a particularly "hot" modern comic variant on eBay. To cut to the chase, both examples were graded at 9.8 - one from CGC and one from the other guys. The CGC comic sold for literally double the price. Both comics were sold in "no-reserve" auctions.

I realize this is a very limited amount of data, but I tend to casually notice that CGC books are going for more money than their competition. As a CGC collector, this is good news, of course. lol

I'll have to keep a closer eye on this.

I can't stand the competition's label. I can't speak for the quality of the cases, but I really like the new design and the labels look a lot more professional and are more aesthetically pleasing. I trust the head guy over there, but I just can't get into his new company.

I swear to all higher powers that I'm not a shill for the CGC. It's not a perfect operation, but I'm a big fan. That much I will admit.

I think the market is beginning to show that slab dealers are starting to feel the same way. Who would ever want to lose that kind of money?

Or maybe it's just a regular fluctuation. People always pay a wild variety of prices when the latest variant first drops. I'll keep an eye out just to see.

Thoughts? Let's try not to poof! the thread. lol

The competition's message board is run by people who do not think critically, and moderate based on emotion, rather than reason. They are not professional, and have proven themselves to be woefully unequipped to handle the responsibilities of what they've taken on.

That's probably the worst, most insulting thing I could ever say about anybody, anywhere, at any time.

Ive used the other company before but am hesitant to use them again because I feel their case is way too "flimsy". You can literally pry open the sides and stick something into the slab, or pry open the sides and shake something out (like a piece of paper that is stuck inside). 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Tile nippers work the best. I can have the book out of the case in 5 seconds. 

Plus they work so well in the interrogation situations. 

On 6/29/2017 at 5:01 AM, DavidTheDavid said:

Voldemort slabs are really tough to open. I often avoid them if it's something I want to crack out.

I disagree with you here.  Pliers or channel locks make quick work of the 4 clasps on the top and bottom and then the slab opens like a charm.  The new CGC cases are much tougher.

Edited by bighairjer

10 hours ago, NamesJay said:

Ive used the other company before but am hesitant to use them again because I feel their case is way too "flimsy". You can literally pry open the sides and stick something into the slab, or pry open the sides and shake something out (like a piece of paper that is stuck inside). 

you just described the case that CGC used the first 15 years they were in business --- and the one they still use for magazines.  That gap also allowed for the paper trick to get rid of prism effect/newton rings or whatever people prefer to call it. That "oil on water" look that comes from the inner and outer plastic holders touching and creating a visual distortion. 

It used to be a piece of paper could be slipped in-between the side of CGC slabs and push the two plastics apart. Newton ring gone. Now it's just an accepted part of life since the slab is sealed up tight and only comes apart in a bunch of broken pieces.  

I like the solid feel and superior clarity of the new outer holder. I like the top label inside the holder. But I'm no fan of Newton rings - and if you get a book with any you are stuck with them forever. Because you can't separate the sides a bit anymore. 

Gap in CGC slabs 1.jpg

gap in CGC slabs 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Whatariot said:

They also have dirtbags and the scum of the collecting world as their posters. When you come to the CGC board, you can learn something. When you go on their board, you have to correct their  misinformation.  I've never seen so many clueless comic book "collectors" in my life, but then again I ignore Facebook.

Welcome to the boards!!!!