• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969 Poll Added - Located at the top of first page
2 2

The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 1

• Tec 359
    • Showcase 55
    • Showcase 60
    • Brave & the Bold 85
    • Strange Adventures 180
    • Strange Adventures 205
    • Silver Surfer 1
    • Silver Surfer 3
    • Captain America 100
    • Captain America 117
    • Iron Man 1
    • Doctor Strange 169
    • Submariner 1
    • Hulk 102
    • Vampirella 1
    • Batman 181
    • Avengers 57
    • Fantastic Four 48
    • Zap Comix 1
    • Daredevil 7
  2. 2. What's the most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969? Part 2

• Amazing Spider-Man 33
    • Amazing Spider-Man 39
    • Amazing Spider-Man 40
    • Amazing Spider-Man 50
    • Tales to Astonish 70
    • Fantastic Four 45
    • Fantastic Four 51
    • Fantastic Four 52
    • Fantastic Four 67
    • House of Mystery 174
    • House of Secrets 81
    • Green Lantern 40
    • Strange Tales 135
    • Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane 70
    • Star Trek
    • Thunder Agents 1
    • Captain Atom 83
    • Astro Boy 1
    • Lobo 1
    • Thor 165
  3. 3. The most significant Silver Age key between 1965 - 1969: Final Round

• Fantastic Four 48
    • Fantastic Four 52

102 posts in this topic

Tales to Astonish #70 -first time the Sub-Mariner is back in his own series after his golden age run.  Subby is a great character and doesn't get enough love and I'm not sure why.  One of Timely's big three, and a unique character created by a master craftsman (Everett).

Amazing Spider-Man #33 -hands down the greatest Spidey issue ever, and my personal favorite comic book ever.  All of Ditko's previous Spider-Man stories were leading up to this.  This issue personified why Spider-Man was such a hit; the series is really about the person behind the mask, not the costumed superhero  or his super powers - but the hero's journey of the man behind the mask.  (Which is made even more interesting since Spider-Man is the only Marvel hero of the time to have his face completely covered -yet it's Peter Parker who is really the driving force of the series).

Mebbe this issue isn't considered a key by many , but in my opinion it should be.
A seamless integration of story with a master lesson in sequential art.  An entire comic book art lesson could revolve around this issue alone.  Eisner would be proud.

Edited by Unca Ben

Another vote for FF #48.  Probably go with Avengers #57 after it.  As a big fan of undergrounds, I'll also mention that Zap Comix #1 was hugely influential.

Edited by namisgr

Good point about Astonish 70! It makes me want to add Astonish 60 (1st Hulk solo since his old series ) and Suspense 59 (1st Cap solo since the GA ), if they fit the time frame.

Also, a HUGE +1 for Zap #1! I'm embarrassed I forgot about it!

Can someone explain to me how to add a poll to this thread?

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Another vote for FF #48.  Probably go with Avengers #57 after it.  As a big fan of undergrounds, I'll also mention that Zap Comix #1 was hugely influential.

Added to list. Can you explain to me how to start a poll on this thread?

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Can someone explain to me how to add a poll to this thread?

Added to list. Can you explain to me how to start a poll on this thread?

I think you need to edit your original post!

24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like there's way too much focus on just Marvel and DC here.

How about something slightly different here like Thunder Agents #1 from Tower Comics?  hm  :cloud9:

As much as I love Thunder Agents, it's hard to argue it had a huge impact like the other books.

I would throw Doom Patrol #99 onto the longer list; it's not going to beat FF 48 for first place but it's definitely hotter than several of the books you have there now.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

As much as I love Thunder Agents, it's hard to argue it had a huge impact like the other books.

I would throw Doom Patrol #99 onto the longer list; it's not going to beat FF 48 for first place but it's definitely hotter than several of the books you have there now.

I think the most interesting point in all this is the relatively minor creative contributions (defined by long-term continuity impacts/contributions, as that seems to be our criteria) of the back half of the Silver Age in comparison to the first half, or the first half of the Bronze Age.

To Lou's point, in an effort to at least broaden from the big 2 (though FF48 still gets my vote) I would say the biggest late Silver Archie key is Josie 45 -- first Pussycats, and first black character in Archie (Valerie).

Add Aquaman 35 (1st Black Manta) from 1967.  A book few cared about before 2014, a 7.0 fetches around $500 today, which is a little more than what an ASM 50 commands and a little less than what an FF 48 commands in the same grade, for comparative purposes.

Edited by zosocane

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:

I tried- there's no poll option.

:censored: ask Arch for help?

I just tried myself and the functionality only appears to be present when you create the first post in the thread.  This seems like something we should ask to be fixed.

Edited by piper
Further explanation

2 hours ago, piper said:

:censored: ask Arch for help?

I just tried myself and the functionality only appears to be present when you create the first post in the thread.  This seems like something we should ask to be fixed.

That's what I was thinking. Thx.

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I think the most interesting point in all this is the relatively minor creative contributions (defined by long-term continuity impacts/contributions, as that seems to be our criteria) of the back half of the Silver Age in comparison to the first half, or the first half of the Bronze Age.

To Lou's point, in an effort to at least broaden from the big 2 (though FF48 still gets my vote) I would say the biggest late Silver Archie key is Josie 45 -- first Pussycats, and first black character in Archie (Valerie).

It's one of the reasons why I kept this from '65 to '69. This would have been another AF 15 v. SC 4 v. FF 1 thread if I'd have included the early 60s. 

Edited by bronze johnny

12 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

It's one of the reasons why I kept this from '65 to '69. This would have been another AF 15 v. SC 4 v. FF 1 thread if I'd have included the early 60s. 

Oh, I totally get it. That's exactly why it's interesting. It's just amazing to me how paltry the late silver contributions are in comparison to the first half of bronze (Conan 1, HOS 92, Hulk 181, GL76, GSX1/X94,TOD1, MS5, Fourth World saga, ad nausem) but that's besides the very interesting point of the most significant contributions 65-69. Great thread, BronzeJohnny! Thx! (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Oh, I totally get it. That's exactly why it's interesting. It's just amazing to me how paltry the late silver contributions are in comparison to the first half of bronze (Conan 1, HOS 92, Hulk 181, GL76, GSX1/X94,TOD1, MS5, Fourth World saga, ad nausem) but that's besides the very interesting point of the most significant contributions 65-69. Great thread, BronzeJohnny! Thx! (thumbsu

(thumbsu 

The first book that came to my mind is FF 48 - think about what this book has and the story. Not sure anything comes close to the impact this book has had on comic book history. I will post the poll as soon as the mods respond to my request for assistance.

Agreed FF #48 is the first thought that came to me as well but maybe that is the old school in us thinking/talking.  Now that I really think about it, it might be FF #52.  It sells for more, the character has a prominent place in the MCU (and that's important in today's comic world), he's really the first black superhero.  It's a pretty big book, and if things keep going like they have the last five years.  The FF is going to be kept being left behind and an entire generation won't have a clue what an FF and Silver Surfer even are. :sorry:

Jim

9 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Agreed FF #48 is the first thought that came to me as well but maybe that is the old school in us thinking/talking.  Now that I really think about it, it might be FF #52.  It sells for more, the character has a prominent place in the MCU (and that's important in today's comic world), he's really the first black superhero.  It's a pretty big book, and if things keep going like they have the last five years.  The FF is going to be kept being left behind and an entire generation won't have a clue what an FF and Silver Surfer even are. :sorry:

Jim

My thoughts about FF 52 started with the Panther being the first black superhero but have these questions in mind: Luke Cage would get his own book first and had a more successful run throughout the BA. The Panther has maintained a supporting role but the test for me is a character holding his own in a successful run. The Surfer had a successful run. 

FF 48 took Marvel and the comic book to another level- the Cosmos. The Galactus Trilogy was a comic book phenomenon at the time readers in 1966 bought it off the newsstands and read the Coming of Galactus. There's no story like it in any of the preceding ages- the Golden Age has its classic covers and first appearances but the Silver Age has also has that, the Marvel Superhero, and one more achievement- the Galactus Trilogy- another reason why Silver introduced the comic book that Golden Age artists and writers could only dream about.  

I'm going to mention one last thing about FF 48- The Galactus Trilogy is the greatest story created by the most sensational team in the history of the 20th Century American Comic Book- Kirby and Lee did something that went beyond what their predecessors (Fine, Toth, Siegel & Schuster, Everett, Eisner, Nodell, Schomberg, Kane & Finger etc.) in the first great age of comics could never have imagined. 

Edited by bronze johnny