• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Label

24 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, batmanfan13 said:

Hello,

Not sure if I'm in the right spot so if I'm not sorry about that. I just picked up an old blue label Tales To Astonish #1 (1959) CGC 8.0 with White Pages for interior. I usually send my books out to be worked on then sent for grading however this old blue label is the first one I have purchased. Do you think it would be better to leave it as is or to send it to my usual place to be sent back in for grading? My fear is doing this removes the book from its old grade and label when it gets to CGC I'm not sure if the graders will know of its previous grade. There are currently 6 total 8.0's and only 1 8.5 in the census knowing that I wonder what the odds are of upping an old blue label Key as some people believe there is a great chance others think its just a myth. If anyone has any thoughts just let me know or feel free to P.M me. Will be uploading pictures soon on Vacation right now.

Regards,

Jason

I just sent in a bunch of old blue and red labels (first generation) to be regarded. I was very surprised by the results. They were all pressed before regrading and the results were:

5 books stayed the same graded

2 books dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.0

1 book dropped from a 9.4 to a 9.2

1 book dropped from a 7.5 to a 7.0

2 books went up from a 9.4 to a 9.8

1 book went up from a 9.0 to a 9.2

All of the books got a bump up on page quality. Overall the two books that were bumped up to a 9.8 saved my butt. If not for these I would have been out money. In the long run I think this "old label undergraded rumor" is just that, a rumor.

Hey Guldanaaron1,

Thanks for the reply its a tough one for sure the books as it its just sold in a 7.5 for $8,300 and the only 8.5 sold for $13,100 last year. Being as it's a 8.0 with the older label I would assume its around $10-11k however there are no 9.0's so I wonder if the gamble is worth it very tough to figure out. I called CGC but was not able to speak with a grader. Thanks again for the response though!

Jason

Just now, batmanfan13 said:

Hey Guldanaaron1,

Thanks for the reply its a tough one for sure the books as it its just sold in a 7.5 for $8,300 and the only 8.5 sold for $13,100 last year. Being as it's a 8.0 with the older label I would assume its around $10-11k however there are no 9.0's so I wonder if the gamble is worth it very tough to figure out. I called CGC but was not able to speak with a grader. Thanks again for the response though!

Jason

For sure! I would see if maybe you can just send the book in for a grade review the way it is. I have heard a few people mention this service not sure of the exact details but it is suppose to be different from a re-slab or a regrade.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, batmanfan13 said:

well CCS does have a screening option on there walk through service as its the highest tier. They will only take it out if they think they can improve however when its taken out when its sent over to CGC the graders at least from what they say does not know what the original grade is and is "supposed to not know that it had been pressed from CCS.... I wonder if there are any CGC graders on this forum that may have better insight at such a higher dollar amount a bad choice can cost a few thousand dollar blah......... When I can upload some photos I will maybe it will help.

Jason

I don't think any CGC graders are going to give you an opinion, either here or on the phone, without the book in hand.  Since your motivation is strictly financial, please consider many of us will pay a premium for both the White pages and the old label. Personally, I would be scared of losing the White Page designation, truly rare on a book from that era. Plus, between all the handling from you to CCS to CGC and back to you, well anything can happen. It's a gamble and anybody that tells you it is not a gamble is lying. 

Leave it unpressed.  You've got an exceptional copy of a cool comic, and it won't have the 'starched collar' unnatural appearance from having been pressed.

Edited by namisgr

I wholeheartedly agree with Bob and namisgr. Why in the hell would you subject a book that has lived its entire life in high grade, and subject it to pressing? What if a press pops a staple? What if it gets lost in the mail? What if that nice unpressed book in 8.0 becomes a 7.0 upon further inspection?

It saddens me,a guy who actively seeks out unpressed books. Not to press,not for financial gain, just to know that I have found a true survivor for my personal collection.

Cats outta the bag I know,but there are a few purists still out there. People like me who believe that actually seeking out a high grade example, instead of manipulating one.

True what they say. Once it gets cracked and re-subbed the graders have no idea of its previous grade. 

According to OP's math it is a $3000 gamble, although I am not really qualified to give advice about a flip.

We should have an endangered species designation for Keys that are still in an old label. We only see them when someone is liquidating a collection, whereupon they get swept up and 'processed'. I don't think some of these flippers realize the intrinsic value of these old labels that actual translate into real financials. The marketplace rewards old labels for both their originality and their 'potential'. .  

I have a feeling Jason will take the gamble because, no offense to Jason, this is what flippers do. @Jason, realize that even if the grade stays the same, you lose.  A bump to an 8.5 will only be worth it if the book keeps the White Pages. Though the 8.5 would be highest graded, the FMV drops from an 8.5 as single highest graded. IMO, you need a 9.0 to make it worthwhile. 

On 6/29/2017 at 11:25 AM, batmanfan13 said:

the only 8.5 sold for $13,100 last year. 

Jason

Jason, you have to realize the price of 13K for the 8.5 was as the Single Highest Graded. Whenever the second copy of Highest Graded comes along, all things being equal, the price goes down.

On ‎2017‎/‎06‎/‎29 at 8:38 AM, batmanfan13 said:

Hello,

Not sure if I'm in the right spot so if I'm not sorry about that. I just picked up an old blue label Tales To Astonish #1 (1959) CGC 8.0 with White Pages for interior. I usually send my books out to be worked on then sent for grading however this old blue label is the first one I have purchased. Do you think it would be better to leave it as is or to send it to my usual place to be sent back in for grading? My fear is doing this removes the book from its old grade and label when it gets to CGC I'm not sure if the graders will know of its previous grade. There are currently 6 total 8.0's and only 1 8.5 in the census knowing that I wonder what the odds are of upping an old blue label Key as some people believe there is a great chance others think its just a myth. If anyone has any thoughts just let me know or feel free to P.M me. Will be uploading pictures soon on Vacation right now.

Regards,

Jason

I would just leave it.

I'll give my broken record observation on old label books.  Two reasons a book is still in an old label:

1.  It was owned by a collector who didn't believe in pressing (or was unaware of pressing or didn't want to be bothered with pressing).

2.  The seller has carefully looked the book over and concluded that it wouldn't benefit from a press or that the book was actually overgraded.  So, having the book pressed and regraded is likely to, at best, hold the current grade.

It's books that are still in an old label for reason 2. that you have to look out for if you're aiming to flip. 

I remembered this thread where we discussed whether the OP should resub his TTA #1 8.0 White, old Label. Tonight `I saw this book in the Pedigree auction as a CGC 8.0 White, new label, so it was indeed resubmitted. While the book looks good in the new label, I still think it was a mistake. Any premium for an old label resub is now gone. At least the pages retained White. BTW, this should be noted in the discussion on CGC'd books requiring a resub every 7 years. I'm sure this book has gone through two 7 year cycles in the same slab with no paper degradation.  

46 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I remembered this thread where we discussed whether the OP should resub his TTA #1 8.0 White, old Label. Tonight `I saw this book in the Pedigree auction as a CGC 8.0 White, new label, so it was indeed resubmitted. While the book looks good in the new label, I still think it was a mistake. Any premium for an old label resub is now gone. At least the pages retained White. BTW, this should be noted in the discussion on CGC'd books requiring a resub every 7 years. I'm sure this book has gone through two 7 year cycles in the same slab with no paper degradation.  

Thanks for the update, i had forgotten about this thread and it is very eye opening read.....