• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Label

24 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2017 at 8:43 PM, 1950's war comics said:
On 10/31/2017 at 7:54 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I remembered this thread where we discussed whether the OP should resub his TTA #1 8.0 White, old Label. Tonight `I saw this book in the Pedigree auction as a CGC 8.0 White, new label, so it was indeed resubmitted. While the book looks good in the new label, I still think it was a mistake. Any premium for an old label resub is now gone. At least the pages retained White. BTW, this should be noted in the discussion on CGC'd books requiring a resub every 7 years. I'm sure this book has gone through two 7 year cycles in the same slab with no paper degradation.  

Thanks for the update, i had forgotten about this thread and it is very eye opening read.....

I hadn't seen this thread - very interesting read.   So the resub did not pay off.  Like Bob said, old label appeal is gone now and the owner is out the cost of grading at whatever tier was chosen, postage, and probably pressing.  Sean was correct above too - assuming old label books have not been pressed is not a good assumption.  

Still a great book but it does make me sad when it is only about potential profit.

8 hours ago, telerites said:

I hadn't seen this thread - very interesting read.   So the resub did not pay off.  Like Bob said, old label appeal is gone now and the owner is out the cost of grading at whatever tier was chosen, postage, and probably pressing.  Sean was correct above too - assuming old label books have not been pressed is not a good assumption.  

Still a great book but it does make me sad when it is only about potential profit.

It really doesn't matter if an old label book has been pressed or not. The perception that it was not pressed is still there. Also the perception exists that old label books were graded tighter and CGC was tougher on Page Quality. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. I believe the market rewards old label books simply because they are old label. By resubbing this book, perceived 'potential' value has been lost. Sure, some like the new cases and only want books in the new cases but those are not the 'savvy' collectors. I agree, still a great book though.