• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Stranger 6 1952 Vol 1 Pricing Help
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I regularly buy and sell comics, as many of us do, but I've come into a Phantom Stranger 6 from the 1952 series.  Typically, I use completed eBay listings, as a guide, but eBay hasn't seen a copy of this book recently enough.  It's rare I find something this scarce, and I would love insight, as to what other sources may be trusted, as a true market price.  I'm not opposed to hearing opinions on a price range or grade, but I'd also like to find out what could be used in a situation like this.  Is it better to just auction an item this rare and see what it does? I'm aware of gpa, but I don't have access to it, and I would ask, if it isn't reliable on a scarce book like this?

The book is obviously low grade, but it is complete (I've counted the pages).  The cover isn't detached, and there is a spine split nearly half of the way down. It's a pretty incredibly tight book though.  There are other various condition issues with the water damage, smaller tears, and such, but the pictures should help clarify those. There are no cutouts or other major defects ( aside from what is in the photos) in the body of the book itself.

This is my first post to any of the cgc forums, so I hope this is in an appropriate place and within guidelines.  I'm just looking for some information and iddealy some new tools to be able to help myself in the future.  If not, then I'm here to share this scarce old book.  Thanks for your time!

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

Edited by benoit938
Grammar and adding a line about gpa

One sold on Heritage in 2.0 for $406 in May, yours is maybe a 1.0 so like Point Five said maybe $300

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/the-phantom-stranger-6-dc-1

Guess my link doesn't work, but you can do a search of the Heritage archives

Edited by Montezuma

6 seems a little scarcer than other issues, so the $400 for a GD on Heritage may be fairly reflective of FMV in that grade, though 2-5 usually sell for a little less. After a big run up, in general VG and under copies of this title seem to have softened just a bit in price in the last year, as the higher prices have brought more out of the woodwork. The posted copy looks about 1.0.  $300 is probably the top of the range one could expect.  It's probably what I'd start out now as BIN on ebay, then if no bites add a best offer or drop to $250. Or maybe start at $225 auction with  a $300 BIN.

9 minutes ago, rjpb said:

6 seems a little scarcer than other issues, so the $400 for a GD on Heritage may be fairly reflective of FMV in that grade, though 2-5 usually sell for a little less. After a big run up, in general VG and under copies of this title seem to have softened just a bit in price in the last year, as the higher prices have brought more out of the woodwork. The posted copy looks about 1.0.  $300 is probably the top of the range one could expect.  It's probably what I'd start out now as BIN on ebay, then if no bites add a best offer or drop to $250. Or maybe start at $225 auction with  a $300 BIN.

Some people were telling me #5 was harder to find but in my case at least I've seen about 3 copies of #5 for every one of #6 that shows up. Not that any are not somewhat scarce.

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Some people were telling me #5 was harder to find but in my case at least I've seen about 3 copies of #5 for every one of #6 that shows up. Not that any are not somewhat scarce.

It took me years to find an upgrade for my number 5. 

26 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I agree with this (although not sure about the scarcity of 6 v. 5).  After prices on PS exploded, a lot of lower grade copies surfaced and prices fell back a bit.  This copy has some serious problems, so I have trouble seeing it selling for $300.  But, of course, in an auction if you get two people who need it to fill out their run and a bidding war starts, you never know.

14 minutes ago, piper said:

It took me years to find an upgrade for my number 5. 

Maybe the higher prices are bringing more copies out or I was in the right place a lot of times. In the past year I've run across copies from 3.0 to 7.0 of issue #5. There were 3 copies alone at last years SDCC that I saw.

Most the people I know that have upper grade sets in  8.0 and higher put them together long before the recent run ups.

Edited by N e r V

I had a standing offer from another collector for my CGC 6.0 copy of #6 for 2k.

No interest in selling it and he finally got one around 5.0 ish although I don't know what he finally paid. It's not uncommon for last issues in series to be a bit more difficult.

My favourite covers are #4 (thanks Sqeggs) and #6. 

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

No interest in selling it and he finally got one around 5.0 ish although I don't know what he finally paid. It's not uncommon for last issues in series to be a bit more difficult.

I really like the green cover of number five, but truth is I can't see me parting with any of them unless I could upgrade.

I have a sharply restored No. 1 and have no idea how to estimate its value? Should I post scans and ask for the collective wisdom of the  boards?

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Do you have the whole set?

You didn't say what you paid and it really doesn't matter any way. I suspect VERY little based on the fact you are starting a thread about it here. If it were me, I'd put it on the bay at a good day and time at $9.99 and let it ride.  True auctions like that for books like this tend to do real well. Instead of trying to search out top dollar, let top dollar come to you. You might be surprised.

Oh, and welcome to the boards...

29 minutes ago, piper said:

Do you have the whole set?

No. I have #1, 4 and 6. I could have completed the run easily in the past year but other books keep getting in the way. :cry:

I'll get it done though. (thumbsu

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

For whatever the census is worth, 5 has 21 copies graded (all blue) and 6 has 20 blue and three purple.

A friend likes to remind me that something is only rare or scarce to the people that don't have one. 

There is probably more truth to that in comics collecting than as anything else.

36 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

For whatever the census is worth, 5 has 21 copies graded (all blue) and 6 has 20 blue and three purple.

I know you sold some of your undercopies but do you still have a full set? I don't remember you posting it if you did.

11 hours ago, N e r V said:

I know you sold some of your undercopies but do you still have a full set? I don't remember you posting it if you did.

Yep.  Got the full run.  My 6 is raw.  Supposedly the Northford copy, although it lacks the stamp, so maybe not.  Probably in the 8.0 range.  I intend to get it graded soon.