• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 324 whitman
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Found a batman 324 whitman variant today at a local comic shop and scooped it up for a great price, pretty sure the owners didn't know how rare this book truly is. This comic never, ever pops up. I saw that someone on here sold one on the board marketplace last year. Since it's considered one of the rare whitman 8 dc variants and there are zero raw or cgc graded copies on eBay to compare prices, what is this book really worth?  The book looks to be in the 5.5-7.0 cgc range, might benefit from a good press too as light cover wrinkling seems to be the only major flaw this book has,as well as a couple of colour breaking staple stress lines and a minor rear corner cover chip. I could guess the book should rightfully fall in the $150-$300 cdn price range. Out of the 8 whitmans I'd like to think the batman would be the 2nd or 3rd rarest of the bunch to locate. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Yes that book. midtown seriously needs to upgrade their site. As you can tell by the sold out status of the whitman variant, they aren't gonna be getting any in.....ever. lol  I find it strange that a company that big and well known either can't stay informed in the industry and keep their website up to date. If midtown can find me some copies for that price I'm in. 

29 minutes ago, DonSal1976 said:

Found a batman 324 whitman variant today at a local comic shop and scooped it up for a great price, pretty sure the owners didn't know how rare this book truly is. This comic never, ever pops up. I saw that someone on here sold one on the board marketplace last year. Since it's considered one of the rare whitman 8 dc variants and there are zero raw or cgc graded copies on eBay to compare prices, what is this book really worth?  The book looks to be in the 5.5-7.0 cgc range, might benefit from a good press too as light cover wrinkling seems to be the only major flaw this book has,as well as a couple of colour breaking staple stress lines and a minor rear corner cover chip. I could guess the book should rightfully fall in the $150-$300 cdn price range. Out of the 8 whitmans I'd like to think the batman would be the 2nd or 3rd rarest of the bunch to locate. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. 

I'd put it on ebay at 20% OVER what the highest possible price you think it will make and take offers.  If you accidentally sell it, its cool, you made a bunch of scratch.  If not, then hopefully you get an idea.  If you're not getting ANY offers after a while, you can lower the price a bit every so often until you do.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I'd put it on ebay at 20% OVER what the highest possible price you think it will make and take offers.  If you accidentally sell it, its cool, you made a bunch of scratch.  If not, then hopefully you get an idea.  If you're not getting ANY offers after a while, you can lower the price a bit every so often until you do.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's impossible to accurately price something that has no previous sales. 

Is there any available publishing data on Whitman books, so we can get a figure of the print run?  I'm almost certain I saw this book in a recent collection I purchased, but I might have either tossed it out (due to condition) or tossed it in a dollar box.  I know next to nothing about whitmans, but I do remember seeing a batman Whitman with a white cover that didn't have any on ebay so figured it wasn't worth much!

Well it turns out that book was scooped on in my dollar boxes at the last show I did, I thought I may have put it there.  I think I remember the guy who may have bought it, good deal for him.  Like I said, it was a beater, I almost tossed it in the recycling after confirming I had 324 in my batman collection.

This is a rarer Whitman for sure, but I personally wouldn't make as big a deal of it as CBSI and others are suggesting. Maybe among the 30 toughest, but definitely not the top 8.

Still, like Donut says, take what you can find in NM for $16...

I hate to say it but in my shop, I culled out Whitmans when people bought in collections. I kindly and gently explained that they were reprints and had no collector value.  As late as 2005, I returned a bunch of Batbooks I bought on ebay as several were not first prints and two were Whitmans. 

28 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I hate to say it but in my shop, I culled out Whitmans when people bought in collections. I kindly and gently explained that they were reprints and had no collector value.  As late as 2005, I returned a bunch of Batbooks I bought on ebay as several were not first prints and two were Whitmans. 

18 hours ago, Brock said:

This is a rarer Whitman for sure, but I personally wouldn't make as big a deal of it as CBSI and others are suggesting. Maybe among the 30 toughest, but definitely not the top 8.

Still, like Donut says, take what you can find in NM for $16...

So for a super beater if I can go back and buy that comic, would you spend $16 on it? 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

I dunno, it depends on which print run is real low and do affect the value. It doesn't have to be a Batman, it can be something else. Yes, in most cases the Whithams can be common with little value. Just not all. 

12 hours ago, Ron C. said:

I am also curious if some of these are even worth getting graded.

Brave and Bold Whitman.jpg

IMHO, these are more common books, but if they are 9.0 or better, they would likely be worth grading. Most would only have a handful of graded copies currently... having said that, thye could take awhile to sell, as the pool of Whitman collectors, while growing, is still relatively small.

if you do get them graded, I would be happy to make an offer on some. I have one of these in 9.2 and two others in 9.6, and in all 3 instances, they are either CGC highest or 2nd highest. Having said that, there's a 9.8 of one of these B&B issues that has gone unsold on eBay for some time at about $175, so - for these particular books - I think the ceiling is still a little lower than that.

Hope that helps...

7 hours ago, spreads said:

So for a super beater if I can go back and buy that comic, would you spend $16 on it? 

Ha... I would, but I'm addicted.

But this issue is hot right now because of the CBSI attention... you might be able to squeeze out another $10-$15 on eBay, depending how beat a "super beater" is.