• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is great for HBO Max, and white dog s^&* for movie theaters.

I, personally, think it's a bad idea for the industry itself. I'm no expert, though.

One of the biggest complaints is though this is seen as the best option during a pandemic flare-up, HBO Max international distribution is still lagging. So unless WarnerMedia does something to address this before Christmas, the biggest winners (again) are domestic market customers. Which will bother international fans further they are denied access in advance.

16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

One of the biggest complaints is though this is seen as the best option during a pandemic flare-up, HBO Max international distribution is still lagging. So unless WarnerMedia does something to address this before Christmas, the biggest winners (again) are domestic market customers. Which will bother international fans further they are denied access in advance.

Yes.

14 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I’m shocked :whatthe:

Really - I'm not really too suprised.  HBO Max probably paid an arm and a leg to have the rights to showing it and they will probably break even just in the theater releases world wide.  I'm sure they could have waited until late summer to release it but it will have to contend with a bunch of other movies that have been backlogged that will all want to be released the end of next year.  I'm sure they left some money on the table but sometimes it's better to take the profit and move on.  This announcement made me look into HBO Max and it turns out I get it for free with my AT&T cell phone services.  Millions and millions of people will be talking about HBO Max over the next month getting ready to watch this new hit movie on Christmas Day.  Pretty smart actually.

The Independent Cinema Alliance (ICA), a trade association representing the interests of independent movie theater owners and operators in North America, has expressed its support over Warner Bros.’ decision to keep Wonder Woman 1984 in theaters by releasing the film simultaneously in the home through HBO Max.

The ICA labels the studio’s decision as a “pandemic model” that does not reflect a long-term shift in the studio’s distribution strategy.

“We are extremely grateful for the extraordinary and unrivaled support and leadership from our valued industry partner Warner Bros.,” said Byron Berkley, ICA President. “After boldly launching the Labor Day reopening of movie theaters across the country with their release of Christopher Nolan’s Tenet, Warner Bros. has again shown their unwavering commitment to theatrical exhibition by virtually saving Christmas for our industry, keeping Wonder Woman 1984 on December 25th.”

Warner Bros.’ decision to implement a day-and-date simultaneous release with HBO Max on Christmas Day comes on the heels of Universal’s deals with AMC Theatres and Cinemark to dramatically shorten the theatrical exclusivity window. Other studios, such as Disney (Hamilton, Mulan, Soul) and Paramount (The Lovebirds, The Trial of the Chicago 7), have removed upcoming titles from the schedule entirely in favor of launching them on home entertainment Video on Demand (VOD) platforms instead. 

“ICA intends to take this crisis as an opportunity to project a bright future for our industry,” added Brian Schultz, Chairman of Studio Movie Grill. “We know the critical importance of storytelling in this very challenging time. Together we will set an example of flexibility, innovation and partnership for the greater good, bringing incredible films to our guests, the way they should be seen on the big screen as a shared experience.”

No surprise...

Spoiler

...that WB went with a hybrid release schedule (:

China is getting the Warner Bros tentpole in cinemas nationwide one full week before the U.S., where COVID-19 forced the studio to shift its emphasis to an HBO Max streaming release.

Most U.S. moviegoers will be forced to settle for watching Wonder Woman 1984 at home next month, after Warner Bros. announced earlier this week that it will be releasing the tentpole on HBO Max because of cinema closures caused by the pandemic.

Over in China, however, superhero movie fans will have access to the sequel both sooner and on big screens nationwide. Warner Bros. announced Friday that the film has been set for a full theatrical release in China on Dec. 18.

Wonder Woman 1984 will be the first new Hollywood tentpole to hit Chinese cinemas since Disney's Mulan on Sept. 11. With China already having overtaken North America as the world's biggest box office territory of 2020, the country is all but certain to be Wonder Woman 1984's most important theatrical market. The first Wonder Woman earned $90.5 million in China in 2017.

While the U.S. contends with its worst wave of COVID-19 infection to date, China's movie theater business is booming again thanks to the country's highly effective suppression of the virus. Regulators have capped movie theater attendance at 75 percent as a safety precaution, but that hasn't stopped several locally made blockbusters from pulling in huge results, such as Huayi Brothers' WWII action epic The Eight Hundred, which earned $461 million in August, becoming the biggest worldwide film of the year.

After Wonder Woman 1984 had its release delayed several times, Warner Bros. said on Wednesday that it was all but giving up on a traditional U.S. theatrical rollout and would instead bow the film in whatever North American cinemas happen to remain open on Christmas Day. The film also will be made available simultaneously on HBO Max in the U.S. for one month.

"It wasn't an easy decision and we never thought we'd have to hold on to the release for such a long time but COVID rocked all of our worlds," said star Gal Gadot.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Awesome and it's a slap in the face to Disney LOL

:roflmao:

Even WB's chief water boy, Scottie Mendelson, called WW1984 a 'sacrificial lamb' to the screening wars

US BO was estimated to be $400MM, now it's $70MM

image.png.040578fbd13fc26bdacd34ee1c34872d.png

Should be able to match WW's total in China/Asia Pacific ($200MM) since they've crushed the virus, but Europe & Latin America are going to be a problem

On 11/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, 1Cool said:

Really - I'm not really too suprised.  HBO Max probably paid an arm and a leg to have the rights to showing it and they will probably break even just in the theater releases world wide.  I'm sure they could have waited until late summer to release it but it will have to contend with a bunch of other movies that have been backlogged that will all want to be released the end of next year.  I'm sure they left some money on the table but sometimes it's better to take the profit and move on.  This announcement made me look into HBO Max and it turns out I get it for free with my AT&T cell phone services.  Millions and millions of people will be talking about HBO Max over the next month getting ready to watch this new hit movie on Christmas Day.  Pretty smart actually.

Brilliant. If AT&T can get their accountants to sign off on a one sided ledger entry where they are paying $ to themselves the road to profitability will be in the bag.

Edited by paperheart

11 hours ago, paperheart said:

Brilliant. If AT&T can get their accountants to sign off on a one sided ledger entry where they are paying $ to themselves the road to profitability will be in the bag.

Listen here wise guy!  Since it’s the same company then it makes even more sense to release it on the lagging HBO Max platform. I’ve found so much good stuff on HBO Max is probably have paid for it if I’d not gotten it for free

41 minutes ago, piper said:

The only way in Canada to see it is at the Movie Theatre.

WarnerMedia really needs to step up that international distribution. Rapidly! When you look at the regions outside of the Domestic and China markets that have contributed the most to huge results, it has been the UK, France, Germany, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, South Korea. Better they not forget that with HBO Max DC products.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Did all these theaters not get their copy of the We Got This Covered memo?? :whistle:

My province is likely going back into lockdown for 4+ weeks.  Sigh...