• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, piper said:

My province is likely going back into lockdown for 4+ weeks.  Sigh...

2020 has definitely been a nutty period in our lives. And dangerous.

I definitely count on with a pandemic some regions will ease into reopening. Others will pull back and restrict access. But there will be partial theater distribution in those regions that can support it.

Wonder Woman has been on TV a few times recently. It just so sad how freaking awesome the first 90-or-so minutes are, followed-up by such a boring 3rd Act.

I did notice that Ares' introduction completely copied Man of Steel. He shows Diana a utopia - just as Zod did to Kal - and said that she would need to help him (just as Zod did to Kal)... And then, she said, "I can't be a part of this" just as Kal said to Zod.

It'll be interesting to see if:

A. WW84's build-up is just as good as its prequel, and;

B. If the 3rd Act is equally bad.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wonder Woman has been on TV a few times recently. It just so sad how freaking awesome the first 90-or-so minutes are, followed-up by such a boring 3rd Act.

I did notice that Ares' introduction completely copied Man of Steel. He shows Diana a utopia - just as Zod did to Kal - and said that she would need to help him (just as Zod did to Kal)... And then, she said, "I can't be a part of this" just as Kal said to Zod.

It'll be interesting to see if:

A. WW84's build-up is just as good as its prequel, and;

B. If the 3rd Act is equally bad.

The third act of Wonder Woman is now bad? I know people complain it was not as powerful as the first two acts. But bad?

4 minutes ago, D84 said:

The third act is fine. Yes, it's not as good as the first two, but there's some great stuff throughout the whole movie.

I agree. The movie overall was a lot of fun. Even with a revisit.

Probably 90% of Wonder Woman, I would say, is great.

Just about everything after Ares destroys the tower, when Diana tells him that she "can't be a part of this", is bad. There may be a moment or two that cut from the mess in there, but it's overall a huge disappointment considering how great the storytelling was throughout the rest of the movie.

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Probably 90% of Wonder Woman, I would say, is great.

Just about everything after Ares destroys the tower, when Diana tells him that she "can't be a part of this", is bad. There may be a moment or two that cut from the mess in there, but it's overall a huge disappointment considering how great the storytelling was throughout the rest of the movie.

Is it though?

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Wonder Woman and it had great sections. But I have a hard time getting past the fact that the movie spent a lot of time and energy gathering together a "team" that proved to be 98% useless through the rest of the movie and actually dragged some of the movie down.

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Is it though?

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Wonder Woman and it had great sections. But I have a hard time getting past the fact that the movie spent a lot of time and energy gathering together a "team" that proved to be 98% useless through the rest of the movie and actually dragged some of the movie down.

Yes.

Character moments matter. Gravity matters. No one thought for a second that Diana Prince was in any real danger.

30 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Character moments matter. Gravity matters. No one thought for a second that Diana Prince was in any real danger.

Wonder Woman is first and foremost an action movie. The deadbeats that Steve Trevor assembled could hardly get out of their own way. As for "character moments", I'm not sure they provided much of that, either. I kept waiting for moments of comraderie between them and Diana but it never really came. Maybe with the Native American smuggler guy she came close but I'm still not sure she got any real friendship or insights into the world of mortals from them. All her learning and feels came from Steve Trevor.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Wonder Woman is first and foremost an action movie. The deadbeats that Steve Trevor assembled could hardly get out of their own way. As for "character moments", I'm not sure they provided much of that, either. I kept waiting for moments of comraderie between them and Diana but it never really came. Maybe with the Native American smuggler guy she came close but I'm still not sure she got any real friendship or insights into the world of mortals from them. All her learning and feels came from Steve Trevor.

I couldn't even fathom a bigger hater just because of the logo before the film(s).

Wonder Woman has about 1,918 more character moments than the imitation Captain Marvel. ;)

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Fixed.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Have you read Wonder Woman stories? Even the George Perez run conveyed she was a displaced powerhouse yet a savior of mankind. Her purpose wasn't about 'who can I be friends with next'. Though naturally as she fought alongside fellow heroes over time she saw them as comrades.

WW_Perez.thumb.JPG.6e7e3284e0717a2ef145c1c45f5bf663.JPG

You should check out the Perez run. Wonderful stories covering a great character.

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I couldn't even fathom a bigger hater just because of the logo before the film(s).

Wonder Woman has about 1,918 more character moments than the imitation Captain Marvel. ;)

That Shazam racism complaint was the tell there is a clear studio bias going on. Unfortunately.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/30/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

The third act of Wonder Woman is now bad? I know people complain it was not as powerful as the first two acts. But bad?

I love WW as a movie.  I did think the third act was weak.  Where the rest of the movie maintained some degree of reality, the look and feel of the final fight was just too over the top. The first 2/3 was just plain special, the third act almost felt like it was taken from a very average Superhero movie and tacked on.  It did not flow, in tone, look, and character interactions.

Wonder Woman crossing No Man's Zone was perhaps the best and most emotional action sequence I have ever seen. It was visceral, powerful, and "real".  The final fight felt like over the top CGI, devoid of any real stakes or emotion.

39 minutes ago, drotto said:

I love WW as a movie.  I did think the third act was weak.  Where the rest of the movie maintained some degree of reality, the look and feel of the final fight was just too over the top. The first 2/3 was just plain special, the third act almost felt like it was taken from a very average Superhero movie and tacked on.  It did not flow, in tone, look, and character interactions.

Wonder Woman crossing No Man's Zone was perhaps the best and most emotional action sequence I have ever seen. It was visceral, powerful, and "real".  The final fight felt like over the top CGI, devoid of any real stakes or emotion.

Act 3 was definitely not as strong as the first two acts. But even with that, Diana realizes she is the godkiller and her mission throughout life was to be the final counter to Ares. Even when she could have killed Doctor Poison, Diana in that third act shows where her heart is in being more sympathetic to mankind and not looking to embrace being an omnipotent ruler alongside Ares. If that didn't grab your attention what was taking place, I would revisit this film.

But the scene where afterwards Chief goes over and hugs the German soldier like all is back to normal definitely didn't fit the atmosphere of war adversaries. It wasn't like Ares influence had been the whole of what influenced all of WW I. But I guess like a Quentin Tarantino film where he changed the events of WW II to fit the 'Inglorious Basterds' storyline, Patty Jenkins was trying to convey Ares was the primary source of all the WW I friction leading to the war.

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Act 3 was definitely not as strong as the first two acts. But even with that, Diana realizes she is the godkiller and her mission throughout life was to be the final counter to Ares. Even when she could have killed Doctor Poison, Diana in that third act shows where her heart is in being more sympathetic to mankind and not looking to embrace being an omnipotent ruler alongside Ares. If that didn't grab your attention what was taking place, I would revisit this film.

But the scene where afterwards Chief goes over and hugs the German soldier like all is back to normal definitely didn't fit the atmosphere of war adversaries. It wasn't like Ares influence had been the whole of what influenced all of WW I. But I guess like a Quentin Tarantino film where he changed the events of WW II to fit the 'Inglorious Basterds' storyline, Patty Jenkins was trying to convey Ares was the primary source of all the WW I friction leading to the war.

I very much got all that.  The Ares revel and subsequent fight just did not work for me, on a level the rest of the film did. I agree the messages were there, but in the first 2 acts, similar themes came across with heart and subtlety.  The movie had its own distinct voice.  In the 3rd act these moments get overpowered by an over the top and bombastic fight scene, and emotional beats go from genuine and organic to hit you with a sledge hammer and somewhat forced. It was almost a different movie, and the way it was presented went from different and special, to typical Superhero fair. 

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

I very much got all that.  The Ares revel and subsequent fight just did not work for me, on a level the rest of the film did. I agree the messages were there, but in the first 2 acts, similar themes came across with heart and subtlety.  The movie had its own distinct voice.  In the 3rd act these moments get overpowered by an over the top and bombastic fight scene, and emotional beats go from genuine and organic to hit you with a sledge hammer and somewhat forced. It was almost a different movie, and the way it was presented went from different and special, to typical Superhero fair. 

Fair enough as there is no debating that portion of Act 3.

But as far as it deemed 'weak' I guess that comes down how you define this. To me a film like X-Men Origins: Wolverine had one of the weakest third acts of superhero films after all that buildup in the first two acts. Ryan Reynolds coming back years later to make up for that act was a huge gift to wash away that pain.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Fair enough as there is no debating that portion of Act 3.

But as far as it deemed 'weak' I guess that comes down how you define this. To me a film like X-Men Origins: Wolverine had one of the weakest third acts of superhero films after all that buildup in the first two acts. Ryan Reynolds coming back years later to make up for that act was a huge gift to wash away that pain.

I think we can agree X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not a good film.