• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

Just watched this.  It's a real stinker.  Just a bad movie overall.  Bad acting, bad plot, bad effects (watch the scene where WW rescues the kids playing in the highway -- yes, they had to put 4 kids playing in a freaking highway with a caravan barreling down on them that nobody could see -- how badly they used dolls in it), and unnecessarily long scenes of WW flying around (ok, she can fly, now move on, we don't need 5 minutes of it), in some magical plot twist that made it ok for them to jet set all around the world for no good reason.  Pedro Pascal did a pretty good job of being a little hammy without going too far, which is what his character called for.  Gal Gadot has the acting chops of my living room rug, she's really bad.  Kristen Wiig did a pretty solid job, but her D level makeup as Cheetah was hard to get past.  And the only thing worse than the plot was the dialogue.  "I've never wanted anything more..." except for giving up your powers that you said you want more in the VERY NEXT LINE.   Ugh, this was bad.    

No wonder why it gave that Indy vibe.

Returning Wonder Woman star Chris Pine reveals a deleted gag from Steve Trevor's Indiana Jones-inspired action scene in Wonder Woman 1984.

When Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) wishes to reunite with long-lost love Steve nearly 70 years after his death at the end of World War I, the magical Dreamstone eventually possessed by Maxwell Lord (Pedro Pascal) revives Steve in 1984. It's not long before the pair fly an invisible jet to Cairo, Egypt, in pursuit of the wish-granting and greedy Lord, who is under the protection of a convoy he's stolen from oil tycoon Emir Said Bin Abydos (Amr Waked).

"I've said it about basically every hero I've ever played is that Harrison Ford's reluctant hero is my touchstone for pretty much all of these types of guys," Pine told CinemaBlend about the sequence modeled after Raiders of the Lost Ark. "The humanness of it, and the fact that he always feels like he doesn't want to be there, but he has to be there. The fact that he'll try his hardest but, you know, getting hit hurts. Punching hurts."

"So to shoot in the desert with tanks and stuff, and to pretend that I'm Indiana Jones, is essentially my dream," Pine added.

One bit cut from the sequence is described by Pine as "whack-a-mole," a variation on the scene in the finished film:

"I had a whole bit, I think they cut it out, but I had a whole bit planned for fighting the guy on top of the thing. It was like whack-a-mole, and I'm hitting one guy, and his head pops out, then he disappears, I go look in, and he pulls me in," Pine said. "I forget if it remained in the film, but I loved that. It's always trying to find the comedy. Trevor thinks he's one-upped someone, and then it's, 'Oh, no, he's going to get his kicked somehow!'"

Just finished watching it.

My favorite part was when the nobody-likes-me Electro character from the Spider-man franchise grew boobs and changed his name to Cheetah.

I wanted to like this movie but in the end it was just really BAD on most every level. This is my LEAST favorite modern DC movie.
So many problems with pacing, shot construction, story, direction, score, and overall thought process.
It was shocking in its goofyness not seen since maybe Superman IV. Awkward scenes galore.
If it didn't have a few big name actors, it felt like one of those direct to video sequels in the 80's.
(Maybe that was the goal?)
I was thinking afterwards, wow remember that crazy year of 1984, when everyone got wishes and the world almost ended.

I'll give it a D/D- maybe. The only reason it doesn't get an F is because it had a couple decent action sequences and had a few actors I otherwise really like.
Overall I feel DC gets a bad rap but this one feels well deserved.
I don't know if it was because certain things were rushed or what the hell happened here, but damn.

Edited by Rip

2 hours ago, I like pie said:

Even though I didn't like it, I want to contribute something positive.

It was better than TLJ:banana:

Now that would be a Deadpool or Joker marketing campaign move if WB pounced on this.

WW84a.PNG.d3db43f1c160b77336b45ae298b045a3.PNG

:roflmao:

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

Even though I didn't like it, I want to contribute something positive.

It was better than TLJ:banana:

It wouldn't take much to be better than TLJ 

20 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

So awesome!  Even though I did not like the movie at all I could get behind this marketing!

I'm trying to remember which critic it was that trashed the Joker film in advance. So the WB marketing team took his quote and cut it down to like three or four words he said like a smack back. It was quite Deadpool-like in the approach.

I saw it last night and agree with much of what's been posted here -- Gal Gadot remains beautiful, the scenes with Steve were sometimes fun, Pedro Pascal made the most of what he was given, but everything else felt too cartoony and thin, including the special effects, the acting, the internal story logic, the character motivations, and the action set-pieces.  I'd give it a forgettable C- overall.

Dan

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Now that would be a Deadpool or Joker marketing campaign move if WB pounced on this.

WW84a.PNG.d3db43f1c160b77336b45ae298b045a3.PNG

Maybe "I liked it better than The Last Jedi", but I'm not sure it was better than The Last Jedi. In fact I'm gonna say The Last Jedi is a superior movie in comparison.

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe "I liked it better than The Last Jedi", but I'm not sure it was better than The Last Jedi. In fact I'm gonna say The Last Jedi is a superior movie in comparison.

'superior' and 'The Last Jedi' never met at the same bar. Try a different drink.

:baiting:

After having WW84 on in the background this morning, I guess the point of the opening scene on Themyscira was to have Antiope give Diana a lesson about the importance of truth and not settling for the shortcut, which plays out later with the wishing stone. I'm guessing it also allowed for Connie Nielson, Robin Wright, and the young Diana from the first film to still have a job, which is the important thing. But sometimes you gotta cut the umbilical cord. I think we should have seen at least a young teenage Diana competing. It would have made more sense visually and conceptually. Be like Marvel. They have no problem moving on from past supporting actors.

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

My eggnog is just fine this morning. I understand TLJ isnt a superior movie, that's why I also said "in comparison."

Sure thing. But no matter what, your opinion would have been the same.

29 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Be like Marvel. They have no problem moving on from past supporting actors.

:martini:

Your eggnog is spiked with MCU Vodka. :baiting:

28 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

After having WW84 on in the background this morning, I guess the point of the opening scene on Themyscira was to have Antiope give Diana a lesson about the importance of truth and not settling for the shortcut, which plays out later with the wishing stone. I'm guessing it also allowed for Connie Nielson, Robin Wright, and the young Diana from the first film to still have a job, which is the important thing. But sometimes you gotta cut the umbilical cord. I think we should have seen at least a young teenage Diana competing. It would have made more sense visually and conceptually. Be like Marvel. They have no problem moving on from past supporting actors.

I wished they had her compete when she was a young adult with a mask hiding her face, more like the original origin story.