• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

After having WW84 on in the background this morning, I guess the point of the opening scene on Themyscira was to have Antiope give Diana a lesson about the importance of truth and not settling for the shortcut, which plays out later with the wishing stone. I'm guessing it also allowed for Connie Nielson, Robin Wright, and the young Diana from the first film to still have a job, which is the important thing. But sometimes you gotta cut the umbilical cord. I think we should have seen at least a young teenage Diana competing. It would have made more sense visually and conceptually. Be like Marvel. They have no problem moving on from past supporting actors.

That's exactly what the opening was about. With the wrong lessons at the early stage, Diana would have come to believe winning by any means. That at least made a lot of sense with her two most respected adult guides having them deliver the message it is all about honor and truth.

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

I wished they had her compete when she was a young adult with a mask hiding her face, more like the original origin story.

That was one of the missteps with this story. Having a child competing against mature women going through a right of passage seemed off. Cute. But not fitting to the event, as she would be out of place to what was occurring.

I thought the movie was fine. The plot was a bit convoluted, but not JLA stupid. If I had spend $100 on tickets and popcorn/snacks to see this on IMAX I would probably not be thrilled. But I have HBO max so it was a fun Christmas night movie all 4 of us enjoyed while eating Christmas desert. I think a lot of the 80s fashion and references go over your head unless you are an old fart like me, but stranger things might help youngers understand

2 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

My daughter loved the first WW, but sounds like there is no reason to see this one.  Too bad. 

I had bad feelings about this movie since I saw the trailer.  My gut is usually spot on.

If your daughter liked the first one she might like this. It is not a movie for a jaded middle aged man. I thought it was fine. Vastly better than jla or suicide squad

On HBO Max, anticipation for Wonder Woman 1984 was apparent, with nearly half of the platform’s retail subscribers viewing the film on the day of its arrival, along with millions of wholesale subscribers who have access to HBO Max via a cable, wireless, or other partner services. HBO Max also saw the total viewing hours on Friday more than triple in comparison to a typical day in the previous month.

“Wonder Woman 1984 broke records and exceeded our expectations across all of our key viewing and subscriber metrics in its first 24 hours on the service, and the interest and momentum we’re seeing indicates this will likely continue well beyond the weekend,” said Andy Forssell, Executive Vice President and General Manager, WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer. “During these very difficult times, it was nice to give families the option of enjoying this uplifting film at home, where theater viewing wasn’t an option.”

Private watch parties and large format screens (IMAX®, Dolby, PLF) drove ticket sales and were the most popular option among consumers. Over the weekend, over 10,000 private rentals were booked, an innovative and popular way for audiences to feel comfortable watching the film in their own social bubbles. In the U.S., only 39% of U.S. cinemas (representing 56% of the box office) are currently open at limited capacity, with closures in top markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia, among others. WW1984 is playing in over 2,100 theaters nationwide with limited capacity. This represents about half of the locations and, in these theaters, half of the available seating compared to a pre-pandemic environment. The first Wonder Woman film was available at 4,165 theaters in 2017 at 100% seating. In Canada, only 5% of theatres (representing 3% of the total Canadian box-office) are open. The Canadian theatrical market was supplemented with a PVOD day and date release which yielded an additional estimated $4 million. 40 markets internationally opened Wonder Woman 1984  in the first two weeks representing 68% of total box office, compared to 2017 with 58 markets representing 77% of total box office for Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman 1984 was released via a unique, consumer-focused distribution model in which Warner Bros. exhibited the film theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one-month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release. This hybrid model was created as a strategic response to the impact of the ongoing global pandemic, particularly in the U.S. Following the one-month HBO Max access period domestically, Wonder Woman 1984 will leave the platform and continue theatrically in the U.S. and international territories, with all customary distribution windows applying to the title.

My local movie theaters are closed. It will be amazing if this has a $200 million box office. But I wonder how many people got HBO max to watch it? And they didn't get rid of cheetah, which was smart. 

So with half of HBO Max watching Wonder Woman 1984 in the first day along with 10,000 theater private screenings paid for, that would seem like an early WB hybrid release schedule win.

What the weeks ahead look like will be interesting. But AT&T/WB needed that win after all the negative Hollywood response to the hybrid announcement.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

My local movie theaters are closed. It will be amazing if this has a $200 million box office. But I wonder how many people got HBO max to watch it? And they didn't get rid of cheetah, which was smart. 

That will be telling as well now that HBO Max also plays on Roku and Amazon Fire.

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

?

I accessed HBO Max via my Roku.

As with Disney+, Prime, etc., you still have to subscribe.

Reflect on the question - NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS to HBO Max. Not all Roku and Amazon Fire are subscribed by default. Right? even Amazon noted of its 40M (+) only 5M are current HBO Max subscribers.

There is a lot of potential for Amazon Fire and Roku to increase HBO Max subscriptions.

Amazon Says Nearly 5 Million HBO Customers Through Prime Video “Entitled to New Programming” on HBO Max

Amazon in a statement to The Streamable said that those who get it through Amazon Prime Video Channels should be entitled to the additional content:

“With a seamless customer experience, nearly 5 million HBO streamers currently access their subscription through Amazon’s Prime Video Channels. Unfortunately, with the launch of HBO Max, AT&T is choosing to deny these loyal HBO customers access to the expanded catalog. We believe that if you’re paying for HBO, you’re entitled to the new programming through the method you’re already using. That’s just good customer service and that’s a priority for us.”

HBO NOW is thought to be the most popular service offered via Amazon Prime Video Channels, but it comes at a cost. It has been reported that Amazon keeps 30% of subscription revenue every month, which makes it an expensive channel of distribution. As of mid-2019, HBO NOW had ~8 million subscribers, meaning Amazon Prime Video accounted for over 50% of subscribers.

In addition, those who subscribe to HBO Max through another channel (including HBO Max) directly won’t be able to stream it on Amazon Fire TV devices. With over 40 million active Fire TV devices, you will bet there there will be some unhappy streamers who can’t watch new original series like “Love Life” and past seasons of shows like “Friends”.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I saw a post by a "random dude" where he said the WW84 movie was so bad "it almost made him walk out of his own house".

I was rather amused at that.  

Now that's some deep disappointment. :roflmao:

"Honey, where are you going??"

"AWAY!"