• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Eh, I think Luiz is playing to much "What if" with the numbers.  The only reason I watched this movie opening weekend (I never go to theaters on opening weekend) is because it was streaming at the same time.  Had it not been streaming I don't know when I would have seen it because by the time I decided see it at a theater all the reviews would have been out and settled and I would have passed on this film until it did hit streaming.

I was already subscribed to HBO Max prior to this film coming out (granted it was only like a week before due to the HBO Max/Roku dragging of feet.  But even before they announced that WW84 would drop same date on streaming I knew I would be signing up for the HBO Max service anyway).

So I watched the movie 24 hours after release, but I had heard/seen enough reviews and talked to enough people that I knew it was a stinker going in.  I don't mind watching a bad movie at home, on a streaming service that I am already paying for, but I would not have tromped out to see this in a theater.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Bear in mind that in Australia, pretty much all cinema's esp multiscreens are only showing TWO movies at a go.

My son manages the local multiplex as his Uni job - they are showing WW84 and a Bollywood movie - and they have 16 theatres.

The Bollywood film is winning hands down, with people leaving WW84 whilst the film is in progress - in every sitting.

He actually just went to open up. On boxing day, they have FOUR seats booked for WW84 in the entire complex. The other movie is sold out across 4 screens.

People leaving WW84 - so people who actually paid to watch it, are scathing in their reviews.

The $4.5m quoted above is a failure of epic proportions as Village went with it in every multi-screen with one other movie.

58 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Eh, I think Luiz is playing to much "What if" with the numbers.  The only reason I watched this movie opening weekend (I never go to theaters on opening weekend) is because it was streaming at the same time.  Had it not been streaming I don't know when I would have seen it because by the time I decided see it at a theater all the reviews would have been out and settled and I would have passed on this film until it did hit streaming.

I was already subscribed to HBO Max prior to this film coming out (granted it was only like a week before due to the HBO Max/Roku dragging of feet.  But even before they announced that WW84 would drop same date on streaming I knew I would be signing up for the HBO Max service anyway).

So I watched the movie 24 hours after release, but I had heard/seen enough reviews and talked to enough people that I knew it was a stinker going in.  I don't mind watching a bad movie at home, on a streaming service that I am already paying for, but I would not have tromped out to see this in a theater.

I would agree with you if not for the fact it went over so large for HBO Max, WB has instantly greenlighted Wonder Woman 3.

So we can 'what if' this thing to death. Meanwhile, WB is moving forward with another movie. No matter how much we felt the film was mediocre to a failure for any of us here.

58 minutes ago, Beige said:

Bear in mind that in Australia, pretty much all cinema's esp multiscreens are only showing TWO movies at a go.

My son manages the local multiplex as his Uni job - they are showing WW84 and a Bollywood movie - and they have 16 theatres.

The Bollywood film is winning hands down, with people leaving WW84 whilst the film is in progress - in every sitting.

He actually just went to open up. On boxing day, they have FOUR seats booked for WW84 in the entire complex. The other movie is sold out across 4 screens.

People leaving WW84 - so people who actually paid to watch it, are scathing in their reviews.

The $4.5m quoted above is a failure of epic proportions as Village went with it in every multi-screen with one other movie.

I hear you if not for a pandemic worldwide situation. Meanwhile, something worked for WB. They immediately approved Wonder Woman 3. :foryou:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Reflect on the question - NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS to HBO Max. Not all Roku and Amazon Fire are subscribed by default. Right? even Amazon noted of its 40M (+) only 5M are current HBO Max subscribers.

Right. I’m saying, to my knowledge, *zero* Roku members are subscribed to HBO Max by default. 

So why would Roku integration help increase HBO Max’s subscriber base?

I had the option to subscribe to HBO Max directly, via my Smart TV or through Roku.

I chose to do it through Roku - but still had to sign up & pay the money. No differently than if I’d signed up via my smartphone & downloaded the HBO Max app.

12 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Right. I’m saying, to my knowledge, *zero* Roku members are subscribed to HBO Max by default. 

So why would Roku integration help increase HBO Max’s subscriber base?

I had the option to subscribe to HBO Max directly, via my Smart TV or through Roku.

I chose to do it through Roku - but still had to sign up & pay the money. No differently than if I’d signed up via my smartphone & downloaded the HBO Max app.

Because now that Roku and Amazon Fire subscribers have the ability to sign up for HBO Max they can. What are you not getting with the reason why it was important for WarnerMedia to work out partnership access deals with both for supposedly 80M (+) potential subscribers if over time they all sign up? I'm only asking because I'm confused why this is even a question.

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Because now that Roku and Amazon Fire subscribers have the ability to sign up for HBO Max they can. What are you not getting with the reason why it was important for WarnerMedia to work out partnership access deals with both for supposedly 80M (+) potential subscribers if over time they all sign up? I'm only asking because I'm confused why this is even a question.

Because any Smart TV that can support Roku definitionally also gives you direct access to streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Prime & HBO Max without it as well.

in either case, you still have to sign up & pay for the services.

So if someone wants to sign up for HBO Max, it makes zero difference whether they’re also a Roku user.

Edited by Gatsby77

Warner Bros is lying about the domestic numbers.  They blocked the normal real-time numbers reporting....instead just giving us their weekend report.  And expecting us to believe they're not biased.

Edited by ChillMan
Added 1 word

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I would agree with you if not for the fact it went over so large for HBO Max, WB has instantly greenlighted Wonder Woman 3.

So we can 'what if' this thing to death. Meanwhile, WB is moving forward with another movie. No matter how much we felt the film was mediocre to a failure for any of us here.

That is true, obviously Warner was happy enough with WW84 that they instantly put WW3 into production.

re: The Golden Armor (mild SPOILER here)

Why on Earth does Diana need to don the winged Golden Armor of Artesia to defeat Cheetah? By this point of the movie, it's clear she'd gained back her full power as she's flying and lassoing lightning bolts across the sky. And she just figured out how to fly. Why does she needs wings? Artesia, who isn't a goddess like Diana, used the armor to fend off the hordes of man. Diana dons it to fight the cat lady before she discovers Cheetah has even grown fur and claws. Diana had beaten Ares with her bare hands. I think she could've taken down Cheetah without flying golden armor. As neat as it was to look at in advertising and in the movie, it was overkill to break out the armor (which is now ruined). A lot of the movie was overkill in the wrong places.

4 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

That is true, obviously Warner was happy enough with WW84 that they instantly put WW3 into production.

From WB waterboy Scotty: Remember when they announced a darker/grittier GREEN LANTERN 2 following GREEN LANTERN's second-weekend crash?

Edited by paperheart

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

From WB waterboy Scotty: Remember when they announced a darker/grittier GREEN LANTERN 2 following GREEN LANTERN's second-weekend crash?

You have a point.  Warner could be making this announcement to try and drum up business.  "Well it can't be that bad if a third one was green-lit!  Lets go see it."

A bit too much conspiracy theory for me, but not totally impossible.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Because any Smart TV that can support Roku definitionally also gives you direct access to streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, Prime & HBO Max without it as well.

in either case, you still have to sign up & pay for the services.

So if someone wants to sign up for HBO Max, it makes zero difference whether they’re also a Roku user.

But each time you are answering your own question. That's what's confusing.

1) Roku and Amazon Fire users now have access to HBO Max

2) With that ability, they now just need to subscribe

My family has Amazon tablets. The HBO Max app was not available to them until the Amazon Fire agreement was reached. Now they have it because we have HBO already.

Edited by Bosco685

14 minutes ago, paperheart said:
18 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

WB waterboy Scotty: Remember when they announced a darker/grittier GREEN LANTERN 2 following GREEN LANTERN's second-weekend crash?

WW84, like the rest of WB's late 2020 and 2021 releases coming out on HBO Max, is a pandemic write-off. Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is still WB/DC's most viable property behind Batman. A third movie was coming regardless of the numbers, which don't really matter due to the current world situation.

And about that third movie, it'd be really cool if Diana teams up with Artesia in a modern day WW adventure. I'd buy tickets to that.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

THIS WEEKEND Accounting for 70% of all spending at the entire North American box office over the Christmas holiday weekend, the much-anticipated comic book sequel Wonder Woman 1984 rocketed to number one with an estimated $16.7M over the Friday-to-Sunday period. It was by far the biggest opening weekend of the pandemic era beating the $9.7M of The Croods: A New Age from Thanksgiving and the $9.4M of Tenet from the Labor Day frame when moviegoers finally had their first tentpole when cinemas reopened.

Making the WW84 result especially potent was the fact that it also released day and date at home for HBO Max subscribers at no additional cost. Still, the PG-13 epic managed to average a fantastic $7,764 from 2,151 locations - the type of average we haven't seen since pre-Covid times. Current conditions saw theaters still closed in several major markets such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Toronto as only 56% of the marketplace is currently open for business and Canada almost completely shut down with only 5% of its cinemas operating.

Add in seating capacity restrictions and it is easy to see how impressive the opening was under these circumstances. In recent weeks, new Hollywood releases were lucky to just get to $2-3M in the first weekend. Now for a big-budget action sequel, the numbers still need to be much higher in order to breakeven. But Covid times are requiring new calculations and Warner Bros. and HBO Max are expecting a surge in streaming subscribers, especially with all the studio's 2021 films following this same distribution strategy.

Early reviews for 1984 were very strong, but those published closer to release were more of a mixed bag. The B+ grade from CinemaScore was acceptable, but not as shiny as the A that its 2017 predecessor earned. That smash kicked off with a $103.3M opening weekend in the summer finishing with quadruple that amount at $412.6M with a global tally of $822M. The sequel will not have the same word of mouth going forward, but it will at least have a lucrative holiday week coming up which will allow it to cash in from DC fans who want that big screen experience, where available.

Fan experience is what it's all about - and will be central to 2021's box office comeback. Much of the Wonder Woman 1984 business came from premium formats like IMAX and Dolby plus more than 10,000 private cinema rentals where people had an entire showing all to themselves for their own small group. These popular options added greatly to the weekend's strong result. Given the calendar ahead, WW84 might be able to break the $30M domestic mark over New Year's weekend on its way to $40M+ and possibly $50M+.

Diana Prince opened overseas earlier and kept its international run going with holdovers plus new openings that brought in an estimated $19.4M this weekend. That raised the current totals to $68.3M offshore and $85M global as it breaks the $100M mark in the coming days. China has given good and bad news. It leads all markets with a $23.9M total, however its second weekend witnessed utter collapse with sales plunging by more than 90% thanks to mixed reactions and stiff local competition. Despite lockdowns in Europe and little business likely from that continent, Warners is hoping to take this one north of $200M worldwide led by the U.S., Asia-Pacific, and Latin America.

I feel the same way about WW84 that I felt about Avengers Age of Ultron.  I loved the first Avengers, I was very much looking forward to the next one. I had set the bar very high for the sequel. I am glad I saw the sequel. I was entertained, but ultimately it was a disappointment.

The tonal change from the first film was also very jarring. Despite most of the primary team being kept in tact from the first film, it felt like it was made by a completely different group of people.