• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

Box office update.

Wonder Woman 1984 has passed $100 million at the worldwide box office. There was a lot of handwringing about the fate of Patty Jenkins’ latest film, but things are progressing well for the DC Comics feature. Warner Media put out a statement congratulating the director and her star for their showing so far. Last seeking in the United States, WW84 opened to $16.7 million, which makes sense considering the coronavirus pandemic. Canada is also a bit of a challenge as 60% of theaters remain closed. A number of industry analysts wondered if the studio’s decision to release the movie in theaters and on HBO Max simultaneously. But, for the moment, it looks like that hasn’t quite ignited the chaos that some corners of the fandom thought it would. It will be interesting to see how that strategy evolves over time.

“Congratulations to Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, Chuck Roven and the entire cast and crew who made ‘Wonder Woman 1984,’ allowing fans and film lovers to return to the thrilling experience of being at the movies,” Warner Bros Domestic Distribution President Jeff Goldstein and International Distribution President Andrew Cripps wrote in a joint statement. “Audiences around the world where markets are open have been showing up to watch the next chapter in Diana Prince’s action-packed story.”

1 hour ago, drotto said:

So we have returned to what was good box office numbers in actual 1984.  Nice.

An article written by Anthony D'Alessandro. Not a big fan of DC/WB productions. Yet when he runs the annual Deadline box office contests he makes adjustments like The Last Jedi only costing $200M to produce when everyone else was calling out $317M. You know - unbiased. (:

The Patty Jenkins-directed DC sequel has grossed more than $100M worldwide according to Warner Bros.

Wonder Woman 1984 opened to $16.7M domestic last weekend in the U.S. and Canada where 60% of 5.5k theaters are shutdown. The film is also available on the studio’s streaming service HBO Max which is only available stateside, but will expand abroad in 2021. Though its second weekend globally, the film’s worldwide cume stood last Sunday at $85M.

“Congratulations to Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, Chuck Roven and the entire cast and crew who made ‘Wonder Woman 1984,’ allowing fans and film lovers to return to the thrilling experience of being at the movies. Audiences around the world where markets are open have been showing up to watch the next chapter in Diana Prince’s action-packed story,” said Warner Bros Domestic Distribution President Jeff Goldstein and International Distribution President Andrew Cripps in a joint statement on New Year’s Eve.

WW1984 opened to No. 1 in Australia to $4.5M last weekend, and opened in South Korea to $2.5M. The pic didn’t set the PRC on fire in China opening to $18.7M and grossing $23.9M through last Sunday. The pic’s other top territories through Dec. 27 were Taiwan ($6.5M), Japan ($3.1M) and Singapore and Thailand each at $2.9M.

Warners, in its excitement over WW1984, announced that it was fast-tracking Wonder Woman 3 with Jenkins returning to direct and write, and Gal Gadot reprising the role of Princess Diana of Themyscira aka Wonder Woman. That said, Jenkins is attached to direct the next Disney Star Wars feature Rogue Squadron, and that is potentially her next movie before WW3. WW1984 cost an estimated $200M before P&A.

Original Superman director Richard Donner appreciated Patty Jenkins' homage to the original Superman films in Wonder Woman 1984.

As the father of modern superhero films, director Richard Donner talked about his appreciation of Patty Jenkins' Superman: The Movie homage in Wonder Woman 1984.

Donner spoke on Jenkins' directorial tributes while speaking with U.K. publication The Telegraph. During the interview, the legendary director spoke on how pleased he was to hear about Jenkins' homage to Donner's Superman in Wonder Woman 1984. The Wonder Woman director paid tribute to Donner, not only through the character’s intrinsic goodness but visually, especially in the film's flying sequences.

In the film, there are flying scenes full of wonder and awe which recall Donner’s work. "It just means she's got good taste!" he laughed. He expressed an appreciation that 2017’s Wonder Woman had "the same feeling of emotions" as his Superman film.

Not only does Wonder Woman 1984 nod to Superman: The Movie, but Jenkins also paid homage to the superheroine's flight evolution over her history in comic books. After a long delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic, fans were eager to finally see the sequel, although it has received mixed reviews from critics and audiences.

13 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

BTW, I didn't even notice she was sleeping with some other guy, I kept looking at Chris Pine's eyes which were probably the high point of the movie for me;) 

You and Silverman objectifying poor Chris Pine. The guy is more than a pretty face. :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You and Silverman objectifying poor Chris Pine. The guy is more than a pretty face. :baiting:

I would never say he was just a pretty face, but he has gorgeous eyes...and I suppose the rest of his face is nice, too.

41 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I was a huge fan of the first WW movie, I fell asleep a few times during this one. I also fell asleep during Captain Marvel. That one was better when I watched it the 2nd time, I may try and watch this one a 2nd time, but I'm going to fast forward Pedro Pascal because he was too over the top for me.

I loved Captain Marvel the first time. Then the second time, or maybe halfway through the third time, I saw the genius of it all.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I loved Captain Marvel the first time. Then the second time, or maybe halfway through the third time, I saw the genius of it all.

I'm not sure I saw the "genius"  but I liked the cat;) Not the make up on "Nick Fury" so much...that was probably my biggest complaint;)

9 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm not sure I saw the "genius"  but I liked the cat;) Not the make up on "Nick Fury" so much...that was probably my biggest complaint;)

That was my favorite part, I thought the de-aging CGI was nearly flawless. When I didn’t notice Sam Jackson was young anymore that surprised me. 

20 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

11 hours ago, Oddball said:

That was my favorite part, I thought the de-aging CGI was nearly flawless. When I didn’t notice Sam Jackson was young anymore that surprised me.

I think my favorite part about Captain Marvel (besides that it was a fun 90's style road trip discovery movie with superheroes and the -script flip on the surprisingly charming Skrulls) was that Marvel figured out how to make a truly empowered solo female superhero movie. And by "empower" I don't mean giving her super powers. What I mean is that Marvel made Carol Danvers just like one of the guy superheroes like Tony Stark, Scott Lang, or Stephen Strange. She was able to be messy, to be funny, and to have fun. This is in contrast to her other MCU heroine counterparts Black Widow, Gamorra, and Hope Vany Dyne's Wasp who either play the more adult "nanny" or the spoilsport (avoiding the b word) who won't let the boys play. This time, in Captain Marvel, the girl Carol Danvers gets to play. And in contrast to Wonder Woman, Carol Danvers is free from being the object of a man's desire, and also isn't being constantly "mansplained" to by Nick Fury the way Diana is by Steve Trevor in the first movie. This was the brilliance of Captain Marvel. I know, it wasn't some super dramatic adventure movie like Wonder Woman, but being sandwiched between maybe the two most dramatic superhero movies of all time, making Carol Danvers' first movie more fun than dramatic I think was by design.

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think my favorite part about Captain Marvel (besides that it was a fun 90's style road trip discovery movie with superheroes and the -------script flip on the surprisingly charming Skrulls) was that Marvel figured out how to make a truly empowered solo female superhero movie. And by "empower" I don't mean giving her super powers. What I mean is that Marvel made Carol Danvers just like one of the guy superheroes like Tony Stark, Scott Lang, or Stephen Strange. She was able to be messy, to be funny, and to have fun. This is in contrast to her other MCU heroine counterparts Black Widow, Gamorra, and Hope Vany Dyne's Wasp who either play the more adult "nanny" or the spoilsport (avoiding the b word) who won't let the boys play. This time, in Captain Marvel, the girl Carol Danvers gets to play. And in contrast to Wonder Woman, Carol Danvers is free from being the object of a man's desire, and also isn't being constantly "mansplained" to by Nick Fury the way Diana is by Steve Trevor in the first movie. This was the brilliance of Captain Marvel. I know, it wasn't some super dramatic adventure movie like Wonder Woman, but being sandwiched between maybe the two most dramatic superhero movies of all time, making Carol Danvers' first movie more fun than dramatic I think was by design.

Wow, I disagree with this basically on every level. Captain Marvel had the continued refrain of she failed because of her emotions, then never having the character show any emotion.  I also found the character to be mean spirited and needing to belittle or put down those around her in order to advance herself.  Yes, the motorcycle rider was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person , but it does not excuse beating the snot out of somebody that was never a match for you and then stealing their stuff. Taking Nick Fury and having his eye scratched out by a cat (I know is was a special cat) was just belittling to him as a character. I saw no semblance of fun in the Captain Marvel character, just a one dimensional, wooden, and distant person. WW on the other hand lifted all those around her and basically made them all better people. She showed compassion to the sharpshooter who could no longer shoot, she sympathized with the native American who was just doing what he needed to in a world that was cruel to him.  She then treated them as equals. She slowed love for everyone. She wanted to help everyone. She displayed her power through actions and not words.

Marvel took the lazy route of putting down others as a means to elevate someone else. They took the lazy route of basically writing a male character and then making them female. WW took the much harder route of elevating everyone and using WW as that catalyst. Of taking a clearly feminine character and giving her strength as a warrior as well as a woman, by letting her keep traits that are typically seen as more female like compassion, and making them empowering.

The No Man's Land scene in the first WW is one of the most female empowering sequences every put on film, as well as being just amazing film making.  It is better than basically the totality of everything Marvel has put on the screen as empowering to date.

Edited by drotto

Whether an expanded (well conceived) universe like Marvel or stand-alone (vacuous) movies like most DCs, a really-really good movie starts with solid intricate plotlines and intelligent witty dialogue.  DC characters can and should be just as intriguing as Marvels on the big movie screen, however, DC simply gets a big fat D minus in the vast majority of their movies which are juvenile, tedious, boring and mostly devoid of any good plots where fine actors unfortunately are subjected to cliché ridden dumb scripts written by people who either never read comics in their youth and or just sucked big time in their writing (exceptions were the 1st WW movie and the Captain Marvel movie).  The irony is DC does the opposite with most of their cool animation, which I often find witty, stylistic, engaging and overall entertaining.  I am not sure if there are fundamental unfixable problems with DCs approach to live action movies, which even without comparing to Marvels, bring nothing of any interest or merit to these beloved characters.    If you are emotionally vested in say Wolverine, Wonder Woman or Batman for example (and not an 8 year old) don't you want to get into these heroes' heads some, learn about them on a deeper meaningful level and walk away from these movies feeling more connected to them before you entered the theatre (or watched on cable)?  I hold out dim hope that DC gets it right one day and that Marvel's next phase is not an excuse to milk the pockets of an enthralled public with consumer throw-away garbage like most of what we see these days in general (and like what George Lucas did after the trilogy). The bar is often set so so low on what Hollywood dishes out - that garbage often passes for art.  Indeed this part of a speech by Newton N. Minow could easily apply to DC movies not just TV.  My 2 cents. :preach:

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland."[8]

Just watched the movie a 2nd time, took 2 days to finish it. It was much better when I was not falling asleep. 

I think the first time I watched,  I was in too much shock at the differences between this one and the first movie.

I was not thrilled with Cheetah being an educated woman ruled by jealousy, and Lord still annoyed me, but he was better. I enjoy love stories, but being alone for 60 years is a little too long to mourn.

I would have given WW #1, a 9 out of 10  for being an enjoyable fantasy. I had originally given this one a 2, because the golden costume was cool...I'm moving it up to a 5 now.