• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Uh-uh. That's not how the --script process works. :baiting::foryou:

A major sacrifice like that leads to a continued benefit or else it was a worthless contribution that detracts from the overall story and huge event it was tied to. Otherwise, summarize in the end the main antagonist recognized this had short-term value and he was okay being branded the villain for such a limited contribution if for nothing else the short-term gain it contributed.

All I can say is every biologist watching that movie shook their head sadly at Thanos master plan.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:
2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

No one knew what the Tesseract really was until a year later, when Thor has his vision in Age of Ultron.

That's the Mind Stone that Thor has a vision about in Age of Ultron.

The Space Stone everybody knows about because it'd been under SHIELD custody since Captain Marvel, and decades more before that before Mar Vell swiped it for her own use and stashed it aboard her orbiting laboratory. SHIELD even unknowingly uses it to make a portal to the other side of the universe through which Loki enters in Avengers.

56 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

That's incorrect, as he has a vision of the 4 Stones that have been seen in the MCU at that point, Mr. Fanboy. (tsk)

That is also incorrect, as SHIELD has no idea what the Tesseract is doing at the beginning of The Avengers ("it's misbehaving", meaning they weren't doing anything to it, implying that Loki is opening the portal), Mr. Fanboy.

Well, yeah, Thor has the vision about the Gauntlet, but he also sees that the Mind Stone leads to a Vision, a force for good that could be their ally, which is why he completes the process of Vision's birth as Cap and Iron Man are fighting over it.

And yeah, SHIELD doesn't exactly know what they have in the Tessereact, but they know it's a thing of awesome power. But Thor and Loki know what it is.

Basically, your original statement that nobody knew what the Tesseract was until Age of Ultron is still wrong.

And WW84 is still dumb.

what a bogus tesseract-it was actually just a stone inside a cube.
mathematicians watching that movie shook their heads sadly.

How Max knew about the stone isn't the biggest problem with the movie.  

The film established that the stone led to the demise of the Mayan civilization.  The actor playing Max is Latino (Chilean ancestry per the Wiki page on him).  And the movie told us that his surname of Lord is an Anglicization.  I had to look it up, but the character's family name is Lorenzano.  So Max is aware of the stone from his cultural history and family legends, though he probably doesn't know or care about its actual first origins from the Greek gods.   How exactly the stone makes its way through the black market to where we first see it in the movie is something that bothers us comics continuity nerds, but probably not most of the movie's audience.

Edited by Zonker

5 minutes ago, Zonker said:

The film established that the stone led to the demise of the Mayan civilization.  The actor playing Max is Latino (Chilean ancestry per the Wiki page on him).  And the movie told us that his surname of Lord is an Anglicization.  I had to look it up, but the character's family name is Lorenzano.  So Max is aware of the legend of the stone from his cultural history and family legends, though he probably doesn't know or care about its actual first origins from the Greek gods.   How exactly the stone makes its way through the black market to where we first see it in the movie is something that bothers us comics continuity nerds, but probably not most of the movie's audience.

Okay, if WW84 had set up that Max Lord was connected ancestrally to that Mayan civilization which met its demise, kinda like the street level expert Babs found, and that his ancestors were the ones who told him about it and he'd been looking for it all this time and...oh whatever...it's a dumb movie.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, if WW84 had set up that Max Lord was connected ancestrally to that Mayan civilization which met its demise, kinda like the street level expert Babs found, and that his ancestors were the ones who told him about it and he'd been looking for it all this time and...oh whatever...it's a dumb movie.

So then you should move on to other productions you appreciated more. Right?

emotion01.gif.348fd2d2322fdee14d1a7901bda56000.gif

:baiting:

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So, if I took a poll here, could I guess who is a Marvel fan and who is a DC fan?

I'm a DC fan, it was a less than expected movie;) :foryou:

Not sure it was dumber or smarter than a few others I've seen. 

Iron Man 3 comes to mind...if that was the one with the Actor.

14 minutes ago, Zonker said:

The film established that the stone led to the demise of the Mayan civilization.  The actor playing Max is Latino (Chilean ancestry per the Wiki page on him).  And the movie told us that his surname of Lord is an Anglicization.  I had to look it up, but the character's family name is Lorenzano.  So Max is aware of the stone from his cultural history and family legends, though he probably doesn't know or care about its actual first origins from the Greek gods.   How exactly the stone makes its way through the black market to where we first see it in the movie is something that bothers us comics continuity nerds, but probably not most of the movie's audience.

Cultural history that no one else on the planet knew about except one dude in a warehouse.
He didnt seem like a character that spent a lot of time researching his cultural history.  
None of this was mentioned in the movie.  A -script must be self contained and consistent.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

So, if I took a poll here, could I guess who is a Marvel fan and who is a DC fan?

I like marvel movies mostly because DC does super duds like green lantern.  They seem to miss all the potential of their characters.  Hate the batman movies i know i'm in the minority here.  I liked both the wonder womans and really thats about the only DC movies I liked.
Iron man 3 was a super dud and thor 3 where they went the comedy route.  And Banner flies to a completely different solar system in a jet plane?  Nope.

18 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I like to think that I am a fan of good movies no matter who made them.  I love the first Wonder Woman, Winter Soldier, GoTG I, Deadpool, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 1 and 2, First Class, DoFP, Into the Spider-Verse.  I don't much like Iron Man 2 or 3, Thor the Dark World, or Age of Ultron, Man of Steel, BvS, Justice League, Age of Apocalypse, or Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2. 

Overall I think the MCU has had a higher percentage of films I've enjoyed than the DCEU.

Oh and my favorite superhero film is still Superman '78.

The 2017 WW us one of my favorite comic movies, it easily ranks in my top five.  WW 84 was just ok, I give it maybe a 4/10.  I think what is hurting it so badly for me is just plain dissapointment. It was so narratively and tonally different, it just baffles me. The shift was just plain jarring. 

I found the first to be a great film,  it was uplifting and had heart.  This was just a pale mishmash of already made films and it felt stilted, disjointed, and hollow. 

I feel the same about this film as Age of Ultron, and rate it about the same.

27 minutes ago, drotto said:

The 2017 WW us one of my favorite comic movies, it easily ranks in my top five.  WW 84 was just ok, I give it maybe a 4/10.  I think what is hurting it so badly for me is just plain dissapointment. It was so narratively and tonally different, it just baffles me. The shift was just plain jarring. 

I found the first to be a great film,  it was uplifting and had heart.  This was just a pale mishmash of already made films and it felt stilted, disjointed, and hollow. 

I feel the same about this film as Age of Ultron, and rate it about the same.

The mwah-ha-ha villains are getting really old.   Cant we have a hannibal lecter or something?  Its a boring, default villain.   "I know I'll write a villain based on all the other villains I've seen in movies!  That'' be original!!!"

The invisibility power should have been introduced better too.  Maybe a scene from childhood, some explanation, showing her developing it etc.
You cant just have her BINGO btw I have this power that will get us out of this plot fix-

Plus you cant just drop the power due to plot-she could have turned herself invisible to fight cheetah and snuck up on max lord and stuff.
Otherwise the audience will wonder why didnt she turn herself invisible to fight cheetah and sneak up on max lord and stuff.
It makes her look dumb and stuff.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

supe 1 is so darn great.   the mere thought of it makes me smile.

That ONE movie gave us a musical theme on a level that hasn’t even been approached in 40 plus years. 

The best the MCU could give us is just the score when they roll the Marvel logo. Avengers would be second. Third...couldn’t tell you. They are all pretty much unremarkable after that. 

John Williams (worship)

Edited by bentbryan

43 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

That ONE movie gave us a musical theme on a level that hasn’t even been approached in 40 plus years. 

The best the MCU could give us is just the score when they roll the Marvel logo. Avengers would be second. Third...couldn’t tell you. They are all pretty much unremarkable after that. 

John Williams (worship)

Love that theme in Superman: The Movie. But there is another that means just as much to quite a few people, which makes the rounds with quite a few orchestras. Along with Hans Zimmer revisiting it quite often.