• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WONDER WOMAN 2 directed by Patty Jenkins (11/1/19)
3 3

1,313 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

That ONE movie gave us a musical theme on a level that hasn’t even been approached in 40 plus years. 

The best the MCU could give us is just the score when they roll the Marvel logo. Avengers would be second. Third...couldn’t tell you. They are all pretty much unremarkable after that. 

John Williams (worship)

yep.  I still get chills watching that.  When superman flies up to save lois.  nothing since has approached the feeling of seeing that altho the first spider man came close.  The music is powerful.  I like the old costume as opposed to all the padded fake muscle fake ab armored  stuff they do now.,

53 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

That ONE movie gave us a musical theme on a level that hasn’t even been approached in 40 plus years. 

The best the MCU could give us is just the score when they roll the Marvel logo. Avengers would be second. Third...couldn’t tell you. They are all pretty much unremarkable after that. 

John Williams (worship)

I do love John Williams' Superman score. Not as much as his scores for Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or Jurassic Park, but love them. But they do also kind of sound the same, too. It's like he took Star Wars, switched some notes here and there, and said, "Here's Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark!"

The diss on the MCU's music, though, disregards the Avengers theme, which I've lost count how many times it's been played at football games, July 4th and New Years events, and about everywhere else.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

I do love John Williams' Superman score. Not as much as his scores for Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or Jurassic Park, but love them. But they do also kind of sound the same, too. It's like he took Star Wars, switched some notes here and there, and said, "Here's Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark!"

The diss on the MCU's music, though, disregards the Avengers theme, which I've lost count how many times it's been played at football games, July 4th and New Years events, and about everywhere else.

I wasn’t clear but I was talking about superhero movies. Agree about Star Wars and Indy. The perfect cinema trifecta for my money. 

4 hours ago, kav said:

The invisibility power should have been introduced better too.  Maybe a scene from childhood, some explanation, showing her developing it etc.
You cant just have her BINGO btw I have this power that will get us out of this plot fix-

She did explain it, she said that her father made Themyscira invisible and she practiced that art as a child on a cup which she could not find afterwards.  

Wonder Woman has had many origins in the comics, I have not read the modern ones, so I don't know if she develops that power later on in one of them. The origin of the invisible plane (which I believe was first seen in AS 8), was told in Wonder Woman 80 (1st series) and it was as I recall, created with already transparent material.

Edited by skypinkblu

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

She did explain it, she said that her father made Themyscira invisible and she practiced that art as a child on a cup which she could not find afterwards.  

Wonder Woman has had many origins in the comics, I have not read the modern ones, so I don't know if she develops that power later on in one of them. The origin of the invisible plane (which was first seen in AS 8, was told in Wonder Woman 80 (1st series) and it was as I recall, created with already transparent material.

but you cant just say btw I have this power my father used it and BINGO she gets out of the plot fix.  that is lazy writing.

I mean wut if superman suddenly said btw I can make force fields to save lois from danger and then later btw I have this other power and can read minds and then later btw I have this other power-

23 hours ago, kav said:

also unexplained was how wonder woman spoke to everyone when the TV camera was busted and also how could they even watch TV when they were running down the street screaming.  And also how psychopaths etc would renounce jack ****.

That's what she said. 

1 minute ago, greggy said:

That's wuh yo momma said. 

she did call greggy a jacknugget folks.
She had no choice really.

57 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean wut if superman suddenly said btw I can make force fields to save lois from danger and then later btw I have this other power and can read minds and then later btw I have this other power-

You are stretching, we are introduced to a zillion Marvel people with powers and no explanation of how they got them. The difference is, you have read their origins (probably ) and are familiar with those powers.

I know they did it well in Captain America, Iron Man 1, and Man of Steel, but most of the movies assume you have a clue.

Since you probably saw WW#1, you probably do have a clue;) 

Maybe

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You are stretching, we are introduced to a zillion Marvel people with powers and no explanation of how they got them. The difference is, you have read their origins (probably ) and are familiar with those powers.

I know they did it well in Captain America, Iron Man 1, and Man of Steel, but most of the movies assume you have a clue.

Since you probably saw WW#1, you probably do have a clue;) 

Maybe

well superheroes are introduced, and their powers quickly introduced.  You cant keep adding powers to fit the plot.  Nowhere in the canon of wonder woman could she turn things invisible.  Its deux ex machina stuff-a no no in screenwriting.  

1 hour ago, kav said:

well superheroes are introduced, and their powers quickly introduced.  You cant keep adding powers to fit the plot.  Nowhere in the canon of wonder woman could she turn things invisible.  Its deux ex machina stuff-a no no in screenwriting.  

Unless of course, you're Stephen King. :cry:

But, otherwise, completely agree. They could have taken that opening scene on the island to somehow introduce some god like power that she could access to make items invisible. Later on, the payoff would make a little more sense. If anything, it was like the invisibility was just another wish fulfillment from the thingamajiggy, not outside of it.

14 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, yeah, Thor has the vision about the Gauntlet, but he also sees that the Mind Stone leads to a Vision, a force for good that could be their ally, which is why he completes the process of Vision's birth as Cap and Iron Man are fighting over it.

And yeah, SHIELD doesn't exactly know what they have in the Tessereact, but they know it's a thing of awesome power. But Thor and Loki know what it is.

Basically, your original statement that nobody knew what the Tesseract was until Age of Ultron is still wrong.

And WW84 is still dumb.

That's incorrect, and you haven't proven otherwise. 2c

7 hours ago, kav said:

I understand what you're saying in theory - but didn't Superman reveal a new ability to (checks notes) *turn back time* in Superman: The Movie?

I don't recall that power from the comic books. And it seemed a far more egregious deus ex machina than an explanation of WW's invisible jet that could make sense.

Clarification: after some googling, it appears the pre-Crisis Superman actually could time travel via faster-than-light travel, esp. in some Silver Age storylines. But a key difference is -- the time travel only affected him, not every plant, animal, person and thing on earth - as in the movie.

Edited by Gatsby77

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I understand what you're saying in theory - but didn't Superman reveal a new ability to...*turn back time* in Superman: The Movie?

I don't recall that power from the comic books. And it seemed a far more egregious deus ex machina than an explanation of WW's invisible jet that could make sense.

Clarification: after some googling, it appears the pre-Crisis Superman actually could time travel via faster-than-light travel, esp. in some Silver Age storylines. But a key difference is -- the time travel only affected him, not every plant, animal, person and thing on earth - as in the movie.

Yes,  he flew counter clock wise (or clock wise) I don't remember which one, in lots of stories, went back and fixed things. It was not till later on that they figured out if you fixed something, you screwed other things up.

I don't think a lot of movie writers read too many of the comics;)

I'm thinking of a horror movie I saw (or didn't see, it scared me and I turned around for most of it) as a kid...they kept saying "it's only a movie, it's only a movie".

This really was..."only a movie" lol.

My husband (who will look at comic book covers, but never read anything except a Sgt. Rock comic when he was a kid) asks me all the time when we watch the comic book movies, if someone is a "real super hero" or a fake one. Took me a while to understand that a "real super hero" was a comic book figure out of an actual comic book who was the same as the character in the comics, while a "fake one" was one made up just for the movies, or given special powers just for the movies...

So maybe the best explanation is, that some of these villains and maybe even heroes and heroines, are not "real super heroes;)".

Edited by skypinkblu

I read somewhere that Jenkins & Johns were trying to re-cap WW's progression of flying powers from her beginnings until now:

- Golden Age, she had the invisible airplane
- Silver Age, she could ride wind currents (as she learned in the movie remembering Trevor's words about flying)
- Modern Age, oh screw it, she can just fly already.

This is a symptom I think of the basic problem with the -script:  Instead of just coming up with a plot to get from Point A to Point B as entertainingly as possible, the film makers took on too much and didn't execute any of it seamlessly:

- Nods to comics fans (for example the invisible plane business)
- Homage to the Donner Superman films (the flying sequence, with WW's pose emulating Chris Reeve's)
- Screenplay back-flips to milk again the chemistry between Gadot and Chris Pine from the earlier movie- though this arguably is another wink at fandom, as Steve Trevor died and was brought back at least twice in the comics from the 1960s/1970s.
- Big Lession #1  "We're all in this together..." (Let's all renounce our wishes for the greater good) :angel:
- Big Lession #2 There will be No Short Cuts, young lady.  (tsk)
- Big Lession #3 1980s-style materialism is bad, I guess? :eyeroll:
- Whatever was supposed to be going on with the Cheetah plotline... (shrug)

I watched it with my 15 year old daughter, probably much closer to the target market than I am.  Her review stands: "Not as good as the first one.  Not really that good of a movie.  But I'm still glad we saw it."

I thought the 'now I can turn things invisible' power was not well thought through at all.  If she had the kind of power to turn a whole jet invisible, and given that she was eager not to be seen in public using her powers (e.g., destroying the cameras at the mall, etc.), she would have been practicing to turn herself invisible for YEARS in order to do good deeds without being 'outed'.  The whole thing makes zero logical sense given Diana's goals as established in the film.