• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

I just got my Spawn 1 UPC variant back from CGC.  I got lucky and received a 9.8    I've been looking for examples of sales for this book, but have only seen a couple that sold that weren't graded.  Any idea on the current collectability and value of this book?  Thanks,

Nate

I'm not sure where you were looking, but you can look at ebay and plenty of sales come up. 

I'd use the search term 'newsstand', if you weren't already using it.

3 hours ago, NCAmother said:

Thanks guys, I typed in "newsstand" and got a bunch of sales.  Looks like they range from $200-$300 in 9.8   I wouldn't mind selling just one as I own two.

I'd say smack dab in the middle of $200-300 is about right.

I wouldn't pay that sort of premium because I don't collect newsstand editions, but some people would.

I know $250 is what it's selling for right now but I personally would not buy it at that price point.  It recently spiked for no apparent reason.  There are plenty of them available and this isn't one of the rarer Spawn UPC comics in 9.8 condition.  But if that's what the market dictates who am I to argue.

This post needs more pics!!!  That's my excuse for showing off my collection:bigsmile:

How can anybody not prefer the newsstand version over the direct edition?!?!?!  Looks so much cooler.

Spawn.jpg.776ec6f811e15617f844615ec49da51c.jpg

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I know $250 is what it's selling for right now but I personally would not buy it at that price point.  It recently spiked for no apparent reason.  There are plenty of them available and this isn't one of the rarer Spawn UPC comics in 9.8 condition.  But if that's what the market dictates who am I to argue.

This post needs more pics!!!  That's my excuse for showing off my collection:bigsmile:

How can anybody not prefer the newsstand version over the direct edition?!?!?!  Looks so much cooler.

Spawn.jpg.776ec6f811e15617f844615ec49da51c.jpg

Yes, it looks like a comic book that way!

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Good point!

Deface1.jpg.d9090a68713490f233bc7538cf45a01d.jpgDeface2.jpg.d26e45bece68eb797be301d1fdc2de2e.jpg

Deface3.jpg.e336dee7df7af56ab7874c109b313ea4.jpgDeface4.jpg.fa120c34e2052119d1cd965c34ee5c1e.jpg

Deface5.jpg.434e83b3ccec3071499566012709d70c.jpgDeface6.jpg.f9eea5efe8996fa9ca930a9614b17fb3.jpg

There we go. Much better! :luhv:

:screwy:

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Just having fun with you....I don't much care about variants in general or minor ones especially. They're cool to find and move along to the collectors who love that niche. (Eg - Whitman DC's, prices, different UPC boxes etc)

Speaking of which....you've got some rare books there with those UPC's on them in such high grade. You may want to send them to an auction house :gossip:

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Just having fun with you....I don't much care about variants in general or minor ones especially. They're cool to find and move along to the collectors who love that niche. (Eg - Whitman DC's, prices, different UPC boxes etc)

Speaking of which....you've got some rare books there with those UPC's on them in such high grade. You may want to send them to an auction house :gossip:

(shrug) I have no need to sell. I'm obviously a multi-billionaire due to my amazing image editing skills. :insane:

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

Nice try... that's not what a barcode does for Spawn #1.

Of course it does! No matter what the actual newsstand numbers are, the barcode clearly defaces the art.

Might as well collect virgin variants then.  Definitely cool but nothing about it looks like a comic book.

My favorite virgin variant (Jim Lee cover for The Boys).  If the general public looked at it they would never assume it's a comic book.

20170630_205747.jpg.baa02ccba9023ff6aab80df2715b58f0.jpg

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

(shrug) I have no need to sell. I'm obviously a multi-billionaire due to my amazing image editing skills. :insane:

Of course it does! No matter what the actual newsstand numbers are, the barcode clearly defaces the art.

I can remember a time ( early 1980's ), at least locally, that at the LCS's I went to the newsstand "variants" went for less money in the back issue bin than their direct counterparts. I don't judge people for what they like to collect, but I still think it's :screwy: to pay a premium just because it's a newsstand edition.

Mark Jeweler inserts on the other hand...:cloud9:

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If I loved the art that much I'd get a 36x24 poster... not a barcode anywhere.  

It's not about loving the cover art that much, it's about general aesthetics. Why else does grade matter?

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If I collect comics, then I want the one that isn't just like a million others.

Assuming we're still talking about Spawn 1, there's no shortage of newsstand copies. Sure, there are (many) more direct editions. Big deal.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

If I loved the art that much I'd get a 36x24 poster... not a barcode anywhere.  If I collect comics, then I want the one that isn't just like a million others.

I'm with you @valiantman 

If you collect comics, and love all their quirks and variations, then the rare modern newsstands are a collectors treat. Try and find an Amazing Spider-Man #694 in newsstand if you can. Whether the bar code mucks up the aesthetics or not is a separate thing. Rarity is the key with modern newsstands.  And those that want them will pay a premium. You're not alone buddy, newsstands rock :headbang:

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I can remember a time ( early 1980's ), at least locally, that at the LCS's I went to the newsstand "variants" went for less money in the back issue bin than their direct counterparts. I don't judge people for what they like to collect, but I still think it's :screwy: to pay a premium just because it's a newsstand edition.

Mark Jeweler inserts on the other hand...:cloud9:

I respectfully disagree @Logan510. Modern newsstands exist in tiny numbers and scarcity will always influence the price that those interested in them will be prepared to pay.

I'm with you on Mark Jewelers though. They absolutely rock and people will pay a premium for them too.  

3 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm with you @valiantman 

If you collect comics, and love all their quirks and variations, then the rare modern newsstands are a collectors treat. Try and find an Amazing Spider-Man #694 in newsstand if you can. Whether the bar code mucks up the aesthetics or not is a separate thing. Rarity is the key with modern newsstands.  And those that want them will pay a premium. You're not alone buddy, newsstands rock :headbang:

Yep,especially with  copper,late copper.I'm always keeping my eye out for those Canadian newstand books.