• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Define "we". Last time I looked around there isn't a lot of "we" when you comment, just angry you in every thread. Last time I checked you
weren't the voice of this hobby.

If you want to listen to the hucksters, be my guest. I thought you didn't like them either, but whatever.

I am sick to death of seeing people invent the most ridiculous "facts" and numbers and then watching that garbage spread like wildfire. I love how I'm "negative" for commenting on it, but these fools can do whatever they want without being questioned.

6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Try something different how about you open a thread about anything. Try to be positive for once. Ive never seen it all I see is the other side.

Nobody responded to the last thread I started. It wasn't negative. It was about the definition and perception of character "appearances" in the hobby.

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

What qualifies you to question me? That is just as rhetorical as I assume your question was.

That says it all right there doesn't it?  Noone should dare question you when you make such broad claims about a comic book expert and legend like Chuck.

37 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

??? How? What did I say that was negative other than the "high prices" thing, which is probably mentioned in half the Mile High-related posts on this board?

Chuck only deals with newsstand copies as back issues. This does not make him an expert on newsstand print runs or distribution. Sure, he may have heard some vague numbers mentioned by people who work for the publishers, but that doesn't make him an expert either.

You conveniently ignored the second part of my post, I'll repost it for you here:

The newsstand comic market wasn't some black box unknowable to anyone who didn't run a $0.05 & $0.10 store.  Someone with his experience must have knowledge of it, most likely a great deal.  Plus buying all those books he has seen most everything ever printed go through his warehouses.  The guy's an expert, hands down.  The question is why do you feel the need to bring him down so badly? 

3 hours ago, GM8 said:

:eyeroll:

Well we're all eyes and ears waiting for your sufficiently thoughtful analysis disproving his expert (yup, nearly 40 years selling comics) opinion on Spawn newsstand numbers.

Chuck has been selling comics, by his own admission, since 1969....that's 48 years. Why does that matter?

Because we're talking about details, here, and details are what Chuck's gotten wrong with this particular discussion (newsstand print runs and distribution.)

Just now, GM8 said:

That says it all right there doesn't it?  Noone should dare question you when you make such broad claims about a comic book expert and legend like Chuck.

You conveniently ignored the second part of my post, I'll repost it for you here:

The newsstand comic market wasn't some black box unknowable to anyone who didn't run a $0.05 & $0.10 store.  Someone with his experience must have knowledge of it, most likely a great deal.  

Chuck Rozanski, along with most retailers of the era, abandoned the newsstand market in the late 70's. He had nothing to do with the newsstand market in 1992, when Spawn and other Image titles began publishing. 

Being a "legend" doesn't mean he's accurate.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Chuck has been selling comics, by his own admission, since 1969....that's 48 years. Why does that matter?

Because we're talking about details, here, and details are what Chuck's gotten wrong with this particular discussion (newsstand print runs and distribution.)

You post way too much for a simple argument, so I'll summarize your point here:  You say Chuck has no idea what he's talking about, that you're the actual expert and everything about newsstand print runs and distribution is wrong that everyone knows, except you of course.

My response is simple: Chuck is an expert on comics.  He would be called to the stand in a court as an expert on comics and no one (except apparently you and a few others) would sit there and say he's not.  Arguing over minutae like "1:100" terminology and exactly what it means is unnecessary.  It's meant to convey the rarity that is all.   No one confuses it except you for sake of argument.

1 minute ago, GM8 said:

I guess you missed the hidden message, or maybe "rhetorical" is just too big a word for someone like you to understand, huh?

1 minute ago, GM8 said:

The newsstand comic market wasn't some black box unknowable to anyone who didn't run a $0.05 & $0.10 store.  Someone with his experience must have knowledge of it, most likely a great deal.  Plus buying all those books he has seen most everything ever printed go through his warehouses.  The guy's an expert, hands down.  The question is why do you feel the need to bring him down so badly? 

Again: Chuck only deals with newsstand copies as back issues. This does not make him an expert on newsstand print runs or distribution. Sure, he may have heard some vague numbers mentioned by people who work for the publishers, but that doesn't make him an expert either.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

I guess you missed the hidden message, or maybe "rhetorical" is just too big a word for someone like you to understand, huh?

Again: Chuck only deals with newsstand copies as back issues. This does not make him an expert on newsstand print runs or distribution. Sure, he may have heard some vague numbers mentioned by people who work for the publishers, but that doesn't make him an expert either.

Ooooo....what does re-tor-icul mean sir?

Looks like someone needs to take their medication.  I'm so sorry you had that bad experience with Mile High Comics.

1 minute ago, GM8 said:

You post way too much for a simple argument, so I'll summarize your point here:  You say Chuck has no idea what he's talking about, that you're the actual expert and everything about newsstand print runs and distribution is wrong that everyone knows, except you of course.

This is what is known as a "straw man" argument: you make an argument up, pretend that the other person actually made that argument, then "rebut" your self-made argument, to make it appear as if you have made a "point."

Nobody said Chuck has "no idea what he's talking about."

And nobody said "everything about newsstand print runs and distribution is wrong that everyone knows." 

These are the "arguments" of the lazy, and ought not be made.

Here's reality: newsstand print runs, aside from the SOOs printed in various comics from the 60's through the 00's, are essentially unknown by anyone except the printer, the publisher who ordered them, and possibly Curtis Circulation, the main distributor of newsstand comics for the last 40-50 or so years.

In other words: hardly anyone actually knows anything at all about them, myself, Chuck, anybody, EXCEPT those just mentioned, and they're not talking.

5 minutes ago, GM8 said:

My response is simple: Chuck is an expert on comics.  He would be called to the stand in a court as an expert on comics and no one (except apparently you and a few others) would sit there and say he's not.  Arguing over minutae like "1:100" terminology and exactly what it means is unnecessary.  It's meant to convey the rarity that is all.   No one confuses it except you for sake of argument.

What does that mean, "expert on comics"? There have been tens of thousands of comic books published in the United States alone over the last 80+ years; that's a very broad subject for someone to be an "expect" about all of it.

Chuck is an expert at aspects of comics, for sure...but that doesn't make him an expert about all comics, nor does it make everything he says about comics impervious to error and subsequent correction.

The word is "minutiae", and the over- and inaccurate use of terms like "1:100" has led to substantial confusion in the comics market. It is not at all minute. There are much more accurate ways of "conveying the rarity" other than appropriating terms that have specific (and unrelated) meanings in comics. 

I have neither confused it, nor have I done so "for sake of argument." There is substantial and persistent misinformation posted here, misinformation that actively harms people who rely on it to make purchasing decisions. My aim is not to argue with the willfully ignorant, but correct the record for those who are genuinely interested in the facts.

7 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Ooooo....what does re-tor-icul mean sir?

Looks like someone needs to take their medication.  I'm so sorry you had that bad experience with Mile High Comics.

"re-tor-icul" is not a word; therefore, it has no meaning.

There's no need to make personal comments about others. That's inappropriate, and doesn't belong here. If you can't make your arguments without making personal comments, you should probably refrain from posting here.

21 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

If you want to listen to the hucksters, be my guest. I thought you didn't like them either, but whatever.

I am sick to death of seeing people invent the most ridiculous "facts" and numbers and then watching that garbage spread like wildfire. I love how I'm "negative" for commenting on it, but these fools can do whatever they want without being questioned.

Nobody responded to the last thread I started. It wasn't negative. It was about the definition and perception of character "appearances" in the hobby.

Absolutely. 

I have no idea how many newsstand copies were sold, but according to McFarlane's bio on Spawn.com, the overall sales number for Spawn 1 was 1.7 million.

To say that newsstand copies of Spawn 1 are rare is laughable. Just a gimmick to squeeze more dollars from the unknowing.

That being said, I have no problem with people paying more for newsstand copies. We all collect what we want and we pay what we want. No big deal.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
10 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Not saying anything you've said above is wrong, but what qualifies you to say it? Out of interest. 

What qualifies you to question me? That is just as rhetorical as I assume your question was.

Devilment I guess. Nice use of white text there. Very clever @Lazyboy

I was going to list out my thoughts on newsstands based on my own experience collecting and researching them for years, but I'm not sure I can face the humourless rebuttal lectures that will follow. @GM8 seems to be doing fine in the meantime.  

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"re-tor-icul" is not a word; therefore, it has no meaning.

There's no need to make personal comments about others. That's inappropriate, and doesn't belong here. If you can't make your arguments without making personal comments, you should probably refrain from posting here.

Really, captain obvious?  Besides blathering on and on you purposely misinterpret things for effect.

Chuck at Mile High is a comic expert.  Get over it.

All I know if I was able to sell a ok copy of Spawn 9 Newsstand for $20 in a couple days whereas I can't sell Spawn 9s for more then $5-$10 in high grade.  Even if the demand is false the demand is there for newsstand copies.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

All I know if I was able to sell a ok copy of Spawn 9 Newsstand for $20 in a couple days whereas I can't sell Spawn 9s for more then $5-$10 in high grade.  Even if the demand is false the demand is there for newsstand copies.

I find it amusing that some of the same people you see here besmirching Chuck for what they call his incorrect information about newsstand copies are benefiting from selling newsstand copies at a premium 2c