• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

Have you checked the rest of Spawn UPC issues? I was surprised that issues I used to sell for $1 now sell for $5-15. I realize some issues of Spawn are hard to find, but I was shocked at some prices for issues in the 110s-130s when I was checking the other day.

Its not just issue 1 that is selling now.  Just currently if it has a UPC and its in high grade it will sell well. I cant speak for other titles, but currently Spawn UPC issues in general are selling well.

Its not my cup of tea, but if I was a Spawn collector and I wanted a challenge it would be fun for me.

Edited by fastballspecial

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its not my cup of tea, but if I was a Spawn collector and I wanted a challenge it would be fun for me.

Don't do it.  I tried to collect them in CGC 9.8 condition and it drove me insane.  I got issues 1-4 and that took a while.  But then there are some very specific books that are IMPOSSIBLE to find.  Spawn #30 (hanging Spawn) UPC in 9.8 condition I've come to accept the fact that I'll never find one.

***That issue also has a club exclusive action figure with a cape that is not included in the packaging but had to be sent separately (I'll post a pic of it if I can find the box I stored it in)

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Have you checked the rest of Spawn UPC issues? I was surprised that issues I used to sell for $1 now sell for $5-15. I realize some issues of Spawn are hard to find, but I was shocked at some prices for issues in the 110s-130s when I was checking the other day.

Its not just issue 1 that is selling now.  Just currently if it has a UPC and its in high grade it will sell well. I cant speak for other titles, but currently Spawn UPC issues in general are selling well.

No shock to me. I've been working for years on a complete 9.8 run. Issues 110-130 are hard to find...gets almost impossible in the 150-180 range.

:gossip: Spawn collectors know this, but apparently no one else does. These books are majorly slept on.

That's why I have to laugh when people talk about the "rarity" of Spawn 1 UPC.  You're talking a print run of almost 2 million compared to 15-20K total for the later issues. The print runs started to plummet after issue 100. If you want a rare Spawn book, try to find UPCs in that issue range! OR...just try to find them in 9.8. Go ahead. Check those dollar bins...check everywhere. No one seems to have them in grade. If you're lucky enough to find them, they are probably in fine condition at best. Even the mighty Rich Henn, a veritable rare modern book bloodhound, has been pulling his hair out trying to track these down for me...he's been working for years and I'm pretty sure he's ready to throw in the towel.

Check the WTB forum and you'll see how much I'm willing to pay. Just make sure you're sitting down.

Personally, I don't need the challenge of finding the UPC issues. It's hard enough to find them direct.

If you want truly rare Spawn, there are a million other places to look besides issue 1 newsstand. I have to quietly chuckle here.

Edited by newshane

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

No shock to me. I've been working for years on a complete 9.8 run. Issues 110-130 are hard to find...gets almost impossible in the 150-180 range.

:gossip: Spawn collectors know this, but apparently no one else does. These books are majorly slept on.

That's why I have to laugh when people talk about the "rarity" of Spawn 1 UPC.  You're talking a print run of almost 2 million compared to 15-20K total for the later issues. The print runs started to plummet after issue 100. If you want a rare Spawn book, try to find UPCs in that issue range! OR...just try to find them in 9.8. Go ahead. Check those dollar bins...check everywhere. No one seems to have them in grade. If you're lucky enough to find them, they are probably in fine condition at best. Even the mighty Rich Henn, a veritable rare modern book bloodhound, has been pulling his hair out trying to track these down for me...he's been working for years and I'm pretty sure he's ready to throw in the towel.

Check the WTB forum and you'll see how much I'm willing to pay. Just make sure you're sitting down.

Personally, I don't need the challenge of finding the UPC issues. It's hard enough to find them direct.

If you want truly rare Spawn, there are a million other places to look besides issue 1 newsstand. I have to quietly chuckle here.

Was waiting to see when you would come and share your information. Seen ur wth thread for a long time

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Was waiting to see when you would come and share your information. Seen ur wth thread for a long time

I'd have to say that putting together this run has been the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. Rich is convinced that the remaining 5 books on my list are "simply not out there [in 9.8]"

I've personally hired about half a dozen big shots to track these down for me...no success, yet.

I've also heard a lot of dealers talk :censored: like they are easy to find...then they come back to the counter completely embarrassed after they actually look.

Edited by newshane

On 7/19/2017 at 10:34 AM, newshane said:

I'd have to say that putting together this run has been the absolute hardest thing I've ever done. Rich is convinced that the remaining 5 books on my list are "simply not out there [in 9.8]"

I've personally hired about half a dozen big shots to track these down for me...no success, yet.

I've also heard a lot of dealers talk :censored: like they are easy to find...then they come back to the counter completely embarrassed after they actually look.

In October I will be helping a store move - this store has roughly 1000 long boxes that have not moved in years in back stock. Ping me with your numbers and I'll take a look. Can't promise anything, but that's 250,000 books that have been sitting in dusty boxes for a long time. 

Four 9.8s have sold in the last 3 days for $350 (3) and $400. CGC really needs to start differentiating these as I'd expect it's skewing the hell out of GPA. 

Nevermind - When there's been 138 sold in the last 90 days a few big sales won't affect it that much. Average is still just $109

13 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Four 9.8s have sold in the last 3 days for $350 (3) and $400. CGC really needs to start differentiating these as I'd expect it's skewing the hell out of GPA. 

Nevermind - When there's been 138 sold in the last 90 days a few big sales won't affect it that much. Average is still just $109

The newsstand are obvious on the GPA list though... since Jan. 2017, there have been 223 sales of CGC 9.8 (blue label).

19 of those were $194 or higher, for an average of $288.

204 of those were under $145, for an average of $91.

Zero copies sold between $145 and $194.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

The newsstand are obvious on the GPA list though... since Jan. 2017, there have been 223 sales of CGC 9.8 (blue label).

19 of those were $194 or higher, for an average of $288.

204 of those were under $145, for an average of $91.

Zero copies sold between $145 and $194.

Total books = 223

Ave price of those total books = $107.78

$107.78 - $91.00 = $16.78 (the impact of the 19 outliers)

That's pretty significant.  But not all UPC/newsstands sell as outliers like the Spawn books.  So I'm still in the camp of not calling it out on the CGC labels.

On 7/28/2017 at 2:15 PM, Ovrclck said:

My brother just bought a 9.9...spawn #1 to flip (shrug)  I think he spent close to 1k. Not sure if that was smart or not. Same with the 9.6 #1 manufacturer defect .

Where at? That would be the highest sale to date publicly.

52 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where at? That would be the highest sale to date publicly.

Looks like the last sale of 9.9 was $899 in July. Previous sale was in April for $800.

And it looks like two people got a very, very good deal earlier this year at $400 and $300!

A 9.9 broke the $1000 mark back in 2015.

I can't wait for a 10.0 to go up for sale, but I know I'll have some competition from some heavy hitters.

We'll just have to see how crazy it gets if a copy ever drops.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:20 PM, newshane said:

I can't wait for a 10.0 to go up for sale, but I know I'll have some competition from some heavy hitters.

We'll just have to see how crazy it gets if a copy ever drops.

:flipbait:

On 7/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I'm taking 7% credit for the fact that GPA now differentiates sales on some Image newsstands. All I looked at were Spawn and Savage Dragon, but they were both there.

18 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I'm taking 7% credit for the fact that GPA now differentiates sales on some Image newsstands. All I looked at were Spawn and Savage Dragon, but they were both there.

GPA always differentiated the sales for newsstands that are identified by CGC.  If CGC has them in a separate entry in the census, then GPA has them separated in the sales data.

EDIT: I see that GPA is differentiating Spawn #1 newsstand now... so, yep, that's new. :grin:

Looks like they have Spawn #1 newsstand separated back into 2015, so I guess they store the auction images (since 2015) and they have a method to identify barcode vs. no barcode.

Edited by valiantman

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

EDIT: I see that GPA is differentiating Spawn #1 newsstand now... so, yep, that's new. :grin:

Interesting.

Sales of newsstand copies of Spawn #2 - #4 have been moving up lately.  Do you know if they differentiate those issues also?