• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lolI knew I wasn't making things up, but was uneducated and felt bad interjecting. Live and Learn. And thanks marwood and I 

Never feel bad interjecting Mark, if your intent is good (thumbsu

Here's the error thread you mentioned above - my old Spidey lot are towards the end:

Edit: Just see you had already posted it! Here's the Spawn book from it:

spawn9_6FRONT.jpg

Edited by Marwood & I

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

So if there is a rule, CGC themselves don't apply it consistently. 

I think ink related production issues should be blue labels, with a note on the label as per the FF #110 above. 

You are correct about CGC being inconsistent with this. Note all our examples are in the new labels = all graded recently. It always amuses me when people want to know how would CGC grade something or how would CGC treat this or what is the highest grade with this flaw, etc.,etc., etc. It all goes to show, there are no rules and all we can offer is educated guesses based on experience. It's crazy I tell ya !

This doesn't say anything about printing errors which would be a pretty big portion of qualified I would assume.

• A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”
    • ph_greenlabel_sm.jpg
  •  RESTORED LABEL (PURPLE)

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Instead of looking high and low on here and guessing, you could just look at what the ones on eBay got.

(shrug)

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here ygogolak?

Someone asked for pricing opinions on a Spawn #1 with reduced black ink. I was asked whether that would get a qualified label. I gave my opinion, using examples from eBay, and then posted a picture of a CGC graded Spawn #1 with a qualified label due to missing black ink. 

What did I do wrong?

Instead of looking high and low on here and guessing, you could just look at what the ones on eBay got.

(shrug)

This doesn't say anything about printing errors which would be a pretty big portion of qualified I would assume.

• A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature (one which was not witnessed by CGC). For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”
    • ph_greenlabel_sm.jpg
  •  RESTORED LABEL (PURPLE)

hm :baiting:

If CGC say the qualified label is used for 'books that have a significant defect that needs specific description', then why is the FF #110 I posted earlier a blue label? They note the error on the label, so it is clearly significant. So it should be a green label by their own description / standards, no?

The point I was trying to make is that CGC are inconsistent in the application of labels to ink related printing errors. They grade millions of books, and human error will creep in all over the place, so mistakes will happen. But there does not appear to be a standard approach that they apply that I can see. Either ink related issues warrant green labels, or blue with a note if significant enough to be noticeable. It's not that difficult to pin down, and they just need to agree and document their approach.

I would contact CGC myself to clarify the position but they ignored me when I contacted them several times through different channels on pence variants, L Miller variants, price font variants and to clarify the minimum amount of a book that they would grade. So I'm not in a hurry to ask them this question as they have shown, to me at least, a complete lack of interest in information which could have a material impact on the value of a book. I get the impression that they would suddenly find the points I've raised 'groundbreaking' if a leading industry figure took up the cause, but there you go.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Spawn, so sorry to the OP for the derail. :foryou:

hm :baiting:

If CGC say the qualified label is used for 'books that have a significant defect that needs specific description', then why is the FF #110 I posted earlier a blue label? They note the error on the label, so it is clearly significant. So it should be a green label by their own description / standards, no?

The point I was trying to make is that CGC are inconsistent in the application of labels to ink related printing errors. They grade millions of books, and human error will creep in all over the place, so mistakes will happen. But there does not appear to be a standard approach that they apply that I can see. Either ink related issues warrant green labels, or blue with a note if significant enough to be noticeable. It's not that difficult to pin down, and they just need to agree and document their approach.

I would contact CGC myself to clarify the position but they ignored me when I contacted them several times through different channels on pence variants, L Miller variants, price font variants and to clarify the minimum amount of a book that they would grade. So I'm not in a hurry to ask them this question as they have shown, to me at least, a complete lack of interest in information which could have a material impact on the value of a book. I get the impression that they would suddenly find the points I've raised 'groundbreaking' if a leading industry figure took up the cause, but there you go.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Spawn, so sorry to the OP for the derail. :foryou:

Yes, I would agree 100%. They have similar errors graded both ways.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here ygogolak?

Someone asked for pricing opinions on a Spawn #1 with reduced black ink. I was asked whether that would get a qualified label. I gave my opinion, using examples from eBay, and then posted a picture of a CGC graded Spawn #1 with a qualified label due to missing black ink. 

What did I do wrong?

Sorry, I was a page back and didn't see your response.

10 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

I see newsstand comics. Walking around like regular comics.

7DDD973D-5F1E-4080-BCC1-68503004ACA9.thumb.jpeg.6084186ab53f23f191670594b540dcef.jpeg

Borrowed (with minor edits) from Seinfeld: "the trick-or-treating mindset involves two words: "Get newsstands." In this sugar-fueled nostalgia trip, a familiar-looking boy with beady eyes and a savvy smirk targets newsstand comic books. "I'll ... get the newsstands from those fools who are so stupidly giving them away"