• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Spawn 1 UPC variant?

231 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Might as well collect virgin variants then.  Definitely cool but nothing about it looks like a comic book.

They look a bit unusual, but so what? There are many other covers that don't look like regular comic books for various reasons.

I'm not sure how relevant virgin variants are anyway. How many even exist? To the best of my knowledge, I don't own any issues that have them.

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Yep,especially with  copper,late copper.I'm always keeping my eye out for those Canadian newstand books.

Newsstands, directs, Canadians, pence copies, mark jewelers, Australians, pizzazz inserts, misprints...... Comics are brilliant full stop. Collect what you love and love that others collect differently.  We're all in the same restaurant, just eating different puddings ?

6 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I'm with you @valiantman 

If you collect comics, and love all their quirks and variations, then the rare modern newsstands are a collectors treat. Try and find an Amazing Spider-Man #694 in newsstand if you can. Whether the bar code mucks up the aesthetics or not is a separate thing. Rarity is the key with modern newsstands.  And those that want them will pay a premium. You're not alone buddy, newsstands rock :headbang:

But we weren't discussing issues that have barcodes on every version. At that point I really don't care. Sure, there are minor differences in the UPC box, but the Borg won.

54 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

But we weren't discussing issues that have barcodes on every version. At that point I really don't care. Sure, there are minor differences in the UPC box, but the Borg won.

Oh, weren't you? Bugger. I guess I fought the Borg and the, Borg won. 

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I respectfully disagree @Logan510. Modern newsstands exist in tiny numbers and scarcity will always influence the price that those interested in them will be prepared to pay.

I'm with you on Mark Jewelers though. They absolutely rock and people will pay a premium for them too.  

I don't understand what you disagree with (shrug)

I agree with most people on here. I don't necessarily think there are markets for some variations, but for those who do collect them, kudos to them. I personally have been snatching up as many newsstand Image books that I can find at $2 and under. I haven't gotten Spawn #1 or 9 yet, but do have many other issues. I'm hoping there will be a market in the future.

There are newsstand versions, and then there are newsstand Spawn versions.  Spawn was famously printed in high numbers (1.5 Million for #1 direct?) and because of that Spawn collectors are always looking for a more collectible #1.  It's the reason you have Spawn #1 Black & White being so valuable.  It was printed 5 whopping years after the original!  Yet Spawn B&W #1 was a 1:50 printing (actual run unknown but around 3-4K) and collector's love it.   Price verifies it.

Both Spawn #1 and #9 newsstand are gaining momentum from what I can see.  They have doubled in sale prices on ebay over the last year.  Spawn regular series newsstands are estimated to be 1:100 in rarity by Chuck at Mile High Comics (don't start naysayers, he knows a thing or two about comics probably more than you), so that would make #1's newsstand print run around 15,000 (#9 around 7,000). 

4 hours ago, GM8 said:

Spawn regular series newsstands are estimated to be 1:100 in rarity by Chuck at Mile High Comics (don't start naysayers, he knows a thing or two about comics probably more than you), so that would make #1's newsstand print run around 15,000 (#9 around 7,000). 

Yes, Chuck does know a thing or two, but obviously nothing about this. He throws around lots of newsstand numbers that don't hold up to scrutiny and to make matters worse, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons misinterpret his already questionable numbers.

There is absolutely no way that newsstands accounted for only 1% of either the print run or distribution of early Image titles. The newsstand numbers may be relatively low, but only compared to the insane direct numbers.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, Chuck does know a thing or two, but obviously nothing about this. He throws around lots of newsstand numbers that don't hold up to scrutiny and to make matters worse, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons misinterpret his already questionable numbers.

There is absolutely no way that newsstands accounted for only 1% of either the print run or distribution of early Image titles. The newsstand numbers may be relatively low, but only compared to the insane direct numbers.

:eyeroll:

Well we're all eyes and ears waiting for your sufficiently thoughtful analysis disproving his expert (yup, nearly 40 years selling comics) opinion on Spawn newsstand numbers.

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Never understand why others cant just respect what others like to collect.

Its one thing to blatantly point out mis-representation

That's basically why. Far too many niche collectors feel the need to justify their tastes by doing things like over-inflating the importance of their niche and misrepresenting what they really are by using improper classifications.

Collect what you like, but we don't need to hear your :censored: hype.

8 minutes ago, GM8 said:

Well we're all eyes and ears waiting for your sufficiently thoughtful analysis disproving his expert (yup, nearly 40 years selling comics) opinion on Spawn newsstand numbers.

Chuck is not a newsstand expert. Getting random newsstand editions in bulk buys does not make him a newsstand expert. Picking newsstand editions out of some show dealer's dollar boxes does not make him a newsstand expert. Buying the largest known newsstand-distribution-fraud accumulation does not make him a newsstand expert. Putting even higher prices on newsstand editions than on the already ridiculously-priced Direct editions on his website does not make him a newsstand expert.

Chuck is a Direct market retailer. Chuck has been a Direct market distributor. Chuck was involved near the beginning of the Direct market and, at least according to him, played an important role in its evolution. Chuck has never run a newsstand. Chuck has never been a newsstand distributor.

7 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's basically why. Far too many niche collectors feel the need to justify their tastes by doing things like over-inflating the importance of their niche and misrepresenting what they really are by using improper classifications.

Chuck is not a newsstand expert. Getting random newsstand editions in bulk buys does not make him a newsstand expert. Picking newsstand editions out of some show dealer's dollar boxes does not make him a newsstand expert. Buying the largest known newsstand-distribution-fraud accumulation does not make him a newsstand expert. Putting even higher prices on newsstand editions than on the already ridiculously-priced Direct editions on his website does not make him a newsstand expert.

Chuck is a Direct market retailer. Chuck has been a Direct market distributor. Chuck was involved near the beginning of the Direct market and, at least according to him, played an important role in its evolution. Chuck has never run a newsstand. Chuck has never been a newsstand distributor.

Not saying anything you've said above is wrong, but what qualifies you to say it? Out of interest. 

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

That sounds like it's coming from a disgruntled customer.  "Chuck sucks!"  "Chuck is a meanie!"

The newsstand comic market wasn't some black box unknowable to anyone who didn't run a $0.05 & $0.10 store.  Someone with his experience must have knowledge of it, most likely a great deal.  Plus buying all those books he has seen most everything ever printed go through his warehouses.  The guy's an expert, hands down.  The question is why do you feel the need to bring him down so badly?

5 minutes ago, GM8 said:

That sounds like it's coming from a disgruntled customer.  "Chuck sucks!"  "Chuck is a meanie!"

??? How? What did I say that was negative other than the "high prices" thing, which is probably mentioned in half the Mile High-related posts on this board?

Chuck only deals with newsstand copies as back issues. This does not make him an expert on newsstand print runs or distribution. Sure, he may have heard some vague numbers mentioned by people who work for the publishers, but that doesn't make him an expert either.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Never understand why others cant just respect what others like to collect.

Its one thing to blatantly point out mis-representation

Define "we". Last time I looked around there isn't a lot of "we" when you comment, just angry you in every thread. Last time I checked you
weren't the voice of this hobby.

Try something different how about you open a thread about anything. Try to be positive for once. Ive never seen it all I see is the other side.

Edited by fastballspecial

8 hours ago, GM8 said:

There are newsstand versions, and then there are newsstand Spawn versions.  Spawn was famously printed in high numbers (1.5 Million for #1 direct?) and because of that Spawn collectors are always looking for a more collectible #1.  It's the reason you have Spawn #1 Black & White being so valuable.  It was printed 5 whopping years after the original!  Yet Spawn B&W #1 was a 1:50 printing (actual run unknown but around 3-4K) and collector's love it.   Price verifies it.

Both Spawn #1 and #9 newsstand are gaining momentum from what I can see.  They have doubled in sale prices on ebay over the last year.  Spawn regular series newsstands are estimated to be 1:100 in rarity by Chuck at Mile High Comics (don't start naysayers, he knows a thing or two about comics probably more than you), so that would make #1's newsstand print run around 15,000 (#9 around 7,000). 

"1:100" is a 21st marketing gimmick. It means one thing, and one thing only: for every X copies of regular book Y you order, you'll get 1 copy of the variant.

Other than that, those numbers literally have absolutely no meaning.

They DO NOT stand for "print run", or anything related to print run, either absolutely, or relative to Direct copies, or relative to the regular versions.

They mean one thing, and one thing only: how many copies of the regular book a retailer needs to order to receive one copy of the variant.

That's it.

I understand...oh, do I understand...how tempting it is to take those numbers and extrapolate all sorts of meaning out of them. It happens on comics sites all over the internet.

However...those doing so either don't know what they're talking about, or they're purposely misleading others to sell things.

You could literally say "1:π", or "1:928,192,119" or "1:A² + B² = C²", and they would...literally, now...have just as much meaning to understanding the relationship between Direct books and newsstands of the era as "1:100."

In other words: none.

I daresay there are quite a number of people who post here...10 or more...who know more about comics than Chuck. 

With specific regard to Spawn #1...as I said in the other thread, suggesting that there were only 15,000...or 17,500, or 25,000, or whatever number short of 200-300k that someone wants to invent...demonstrates a lack of understanding of the comics market in May of 1992, when this book was published. 

Also, Spawn #1 B&W was NOT a "1:50" variant, because there was no "regular version" for that "1:50" to be attached to, and, in 1997, that concept didn't yet exist in comics, and, despite the claims of the under-educated, wouldn't exist for perhaps another 7-8 years.

And there were more than 3-4k Spawn #1 B&Ws printed. How do I know? Because I worked for Greg Buls in the spring and summer of 1999 in Mesa, AZ, and he was buying these by the handful bundle from Todd's office (which, as many will know, is in Phoenix.)

53 minutes ago, GM8 said:

The newsstand comic market wasn't some black box unknowable to anyone who didn't run a $0.05 & $0.10 store.  Someone with his experience must have knowledge of it, most likely a great deal.  Plus buying all those books he has seen most everything ever printed go through his warehouses.  The guy's an expert, hands down.  The question is why do you feel the need to bring him down so badly?

That sounds like it's coming from someone who doesn't understand the difference between critical analysis and emotional commentary.

Do you think Chuck Rozanski deals with comics directly these days...? Do you know how many people he employs...? Do you really think he's "seen most everything ever printed"..? You'd be wrong.

The guy's an expert at the Church collection, no doubt, and he has interesting and valuable firsthand experience with and insight into the comics market...especially the distribution of DIRECT comics, having run (with his wife Nanette) a distributor in the 80's.

But he's certainly not an expert about the newsstand, or newsstand distribution, especially when he makes claims that are not accurate (like the newsstand market being only 15% of the entire comics market in 1990. Yes, he couches it as "roughly"...something the quoters never seem to remember to mention...but it's still so far off it doesn't have value as a statistic.)

If you are going to publish claims, you accept the risk of having those claims analysed, criticized, and rebutted.