• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "first wrap married" mean?

13 posts in this topic

I'm new at this. I just got back a comic graded 7.0 but with "first wrap married" as a qualification. Since I didn't know the comic had any sort of defect before sending it in to be graded, I'm surprised by this. (Not that it bothers me any.) But what does "first wrap married" mean?

3 hours ago, Paul Cook said:

I'm new at this. I just got back a comic graded 7.0 but with "first wrap married" as a qualification. Since I didn't know the comic had any sort of defect before sending it in to be graded, I'm surprised by this. (Not that it bothers me any.) But what does "first wrap married" mean?

Well the married reference comes from the fact that two books were pieced together. Usually this happens when a cover from one book is married to the pages of another book. Less frequently, but I have seen it, is when the centerfold falls out, literally gone, and a centerfold from another book is used. Sometimes an ad page is cut out or a Marvel Stamp is cut out, so a page from another book is used to replace it. Happens sometimes on Hulk 181 . This is a bad flaw, frowned upon by the marketplace. The valuation of your Qualified 7.0 will be a fraction of a Universal 7.0 .

23 hours ago, Paul Cook said:

The first wrap is the one just inside the cover.  Someone pried up the staples, took off the cover of your copy, removed the (presumably damaged) first wrap of your copy and replaced it with the first wrap of another copy.  Then he put the original cover back on and put the staples back in place.

If it were me and the book is worth much, I would be bothered because the value of your copy is now much below what you thought it was.

I found this thread Googling "first wrap married" as I have a very strange case of it. I acquired a dead stock Detective #370 that was never stapled at all (manufacturing defect), so all of the wraps were loose with no staple holes. And apparently, it was always missing the first wrap; It came from the plant that way and never sold. Along the way, someone pried apart a different copy, and slipped in a first wrap to complete the book. But it could simply be slipped back out if that is undesirable.

So, in this case, hypothetically, if I were to have it graded, would it be better to have the first wrap missing as it was originally mis-manufactured? Or better to have the missing wrap married in, but in a totally non-destructive way? I assume the former, but this is a head scratcher for me. Can't tell if the book is ruined or blessed.

9 hours ago, Kevin Cogill said:

I found this thread Googling "first wrap married" as I have a very strange case of it. I acquired a dead stock Detective #370 that was never stapled at all (manufacturing defect), so all of the wraps were loose with no staple holes. And apparently, it was always missing the first wrap; It came from the plant that way and never sold. Along the way, someone pried apart a different copy, and slipped in a first wrap to complete the book. But it could simply be slipped back out if that is undesirable.

So, in this case, hypothetically, if I were to have it graded, would it be better to have the first wrap missing as it was originally mis-manufactured? Or better to have the missing wrap married in, but in a totally non-destructive way? I assume the former, but this is a head scratcher for me. Can't tell if the book is ruined or blessed.

Every scenario would still get you a green label at best. Since the book has been messed with since getting it (by marrying the wrap), I would leave it this way and send it complete. because if you remove it, there is a chance that the book is found to be incomplete and you get a 0.5 blue label. No way to prove that missing wrap is a manufacturing defect rather than it simply having been lost over time.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:22 PM, Paul Cook said:

If you bought the book from someone who didn't disclose this I personally would be seeking a refund. It's one thing if you knew about it at the time of the sale, but if not then the seller most likely unloaded a hard to move restored book by hiding it. 

8 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Every scenario would still get you a green label at best. Since the book has been messed with since getting it (by marrying the wrap), I would leave it this way and send it complete. because if you remove it, there is a chance that the book is found to be incomplete and you get a 0.5 blue label. No way to prove that missing wrap is a manufacturing defect rather than it simply having been lost over time.

Ahh, yeah, this makes a lot of sense and it's helpful perspective, thanks. Not even sure it's worth getting slabbed; It's not like it's a near mint book otherwise. But it at least helps me price/describe it. I put it up on eBay for $50 OBO.

On 2/5/2021 at 5:05 PM, serling1978 said:

If you bought the book from someone who didn't disclose this I personally would be seeking a refund. It's one thing if you knew about it at the time of the sale, but if not then the seller most likely unloaded a hard to move restored book by hiding it. 

Nah, I acquired this from a buddy who got access to the whole lot of dead stock. He got trunks full of unsold inventory with no clue what any of it was. (Which has been a fun hunt for me!) He basically said, "help me sell it and keep what you want," so it's all copacetic.